jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still some work to do, but I got the tank back up and running late last night after the sump/plumbing/pump/reactors swap. I still need to do my dosing lines from the DOS, organize the cables a tad better and add my lighting. I'll get some pictures with my good camera once I get a chance.

Dude! You're my hero @Broadfield . Please tell me what fittings you used and how you piped off of the return lines. That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out how to do. Did you just order extra return line connectors to get the PVC onto the drain pipes?

Also, where did you get the colored fittings? Those look great.

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude! You're my hero @Broadfield . Please tell me what fittings you used and how you piped off of the return lines. That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out how to do. Did you just order extra return line connectors to get the PVC onto the drain pipes?

I can't speak for exactly what @Broadfield used however the plumbing fittings you are after can be had from here: http://www.coralvue.com/metric-male-coupling

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for exactly what @Broadfield used however the plumbing fittings you are after can be had from here: http://www.coralvue.com/metric-male-coupling

Have you actually used these? Because according to the part breakdown on their site, these are not the correct fittings. According to their site, the threaded section is standard and the slip joint is metric.... which is the opposite of what one would need to adapt to the Red Sea fitting.

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you actually used these? Because according to the part breakdown on their site, these are not the correct fittings. According to their site, the threaded section is standard and the slip joint is metric.... which is the opposite of what one would need to adapt to the Red Sea fitting.

I have not used the ones from CoralVue. I adapted a standard 3/4" NPT threaded barb fitting but it was still loose. It didn't seem to be tapered and everyone where I shop concluded "it must be some funny metric fitting" which are more or less impossible to find around my parts. Any of the 3/4" NPT stuff I found would all bottom out and still be loose.

What did you use?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the ones from CoralVue. I adapted a standard 3/4" NPT threaded barb fitting but it was still loose. It didn't seem to be tapered and everyone where I shop concluded "it must be some funny metric fitting" which are more or less impossible to find around my parts. Any of the 3/4" NPT stuff I found would all bottom out and still be loose.

What did you use?

I used 3/4" with 15 wraps of Teflon tape.

gpinto81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still some work to do, but I got the tank back up and running late last night after the sump/plumbing/pump/reactors swap. I still need to do my dosing lines from the DOS, organize the cables a tad better and add my lighting. I'll get some pictures with my good camera once I get a chance.

IMG_7676 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7681 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7696 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Sweet setup @Broadfield what sump did you choose and how come you wanted a switch from the Red Sea provided sump?

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 3/4" with 15 wraps of Teflon tape.

hahaha that's hilarious, I ended up with PTFE tape but also managed to get an o-ring seated nicely in there as well. So far so good. Has been water tight for something like a week now. I thought I read somewhere people were exploring using those CoralView fittings. I can't cite a source off the top of my head but I know it was on a Reefer thread somewhere.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha that's hilarious, I ended up with PTFE tape but also managed to get an o-ring seated nicely in there as well. So far so good. Has been water tight for something like a week now. I thought I read somewhere people were exploring using those CoralView fittings. I can't cite a source off the top of my head but I know it was on a Reefer thread somewhere.

I ran my original plumbing setup for over a year with the 15 wrap Teflon tape... never an issue. Yeah, I think people keep recommending the Coral Vue adapters, but have never actually used them. I don't think they actually looked at the technical data on the adapters... otherwise they would realize they are not the solution.

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my original plumbing setup for over a year with the 15 wrap Teflon tape... never an issue. Yeah, I think people keep recommending the Coral Vue adapters, but have never actually used them. I don't think they actually looked at the technical data on the adapters... otherwise they would realize they are not the solution.
Where did you find a detailed list for the tank parts? All I was ever able to come across was a list of half the parts and only one end of many adapters. For this I could only find the barb sizes and the rest was a mystery.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet setup @Broadfield what sump did you choose and how come you wanted a switch from the Red Sea provided sump?

It's an @Elite-Aquatics sump. Why did I switch sumps? You said it yourself... "Sweet setup";). I wanted something that looked killer and wasn't a plain glass sump. I love having the top plate lip and the viewing windows. The white and orange acrylic really brightens up the inside of the drab black stand. I'm that guy that always needs to change out the wheels on his vehicles lol.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks amazing, looks like you've swapped the red sea valve for a gate valve? Reason I ask is I have a lot of trouble balancing my Reefers and considered changing to a gate valve to see if it helps. Also what volume of water are you pushing out of the return?

The gate valve is absolutely cake to adjust. I thought the Red Sea valve was perfectly fine... never had any issues nor was it difficult to adjust. But something about the gate valve is even easier. I'm running a Vectra L1 at full tilt, but I'm running through three reactors... so I'm not exactly sure what my flow to the tank is.

Yes, I ordered three of the barbed return assemblies and simply removed the barb fitting. I then used a 3/4" threaded adapter with a lot of Teflon tape... like 15+ wraps of it.

I bought my colored pipe from BRS and the colored fittings from Aquarium Speciality.

Reefer Fitting.jpg

Last edited:

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

XxCADUDExX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed out my skimmer today. Went with a ASM Mini-G. Had the bigger version on my old 100g that worked great so I figured give it a shot. The price was pretty good.

IMG_3321.JPG

I had a Tunze 9004 that work but was to tall for my sump water level and modifications worked but I'm thinking I need something stronger. Pics below are a week of skimming

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Ishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Broadfield, Thank's, I might give the gate valve a try. What size valve did you use? I'm using an 8000 LPH return and have tried it at 80 % and 50% and still have to adjust the valve a couple of times a day.

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also add to this the years of success that reefers have had with the Tunez ATO whereas the Apex is still yet to be released. I personally prefer to go with whats been proven to work for other people versus something new as much as possible. Just my opinion though.
and I would add- simplicity of replacement parts. zero programming required, zero software updates...

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the whole metric to standard fittings from coralvue and would recommend NOT doing it. You need additional parts and you also still need to wrap the threads or it will leak. I would just do what broadfield did and do a wrap job on the standard fitting.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the whole metric to standard fittings from coralvue and would recommend NOT doing it. You need additional parts and you also still need to wrap the threads or it will leak. I would just do what broadfield did and do a wrap job on the standard fitting.
Get the gray electrical conduit connectors.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Broadfield, Thank's, I might give the gate valve a try. What size valve did you use? I'm using an 8000 LPH return and have tried it at 80 % and 50% and still have to adjust the valve a couple of times a day.

I used a 1" Spears gate valve... all of my main plumbing is 1".

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can people post photos that have artfully acrylic lids by the middle of the back return over flow area? I think mine has a large gap and have had 2 fish jump out already and die!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%

Back