MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, this really has me considering calling and seeing if I can cancel my order. I ordered mine about a week ago, and while the gap will mostly likely not affect me, if this is how they treat their customers then that's not a company I would like to give my business too. Especially since you're pointing out what could potentially be an issue for many of their customers.

I am just disappointed in how he basically made it like it isn't his problem and I had to call a few times and sent email/photo. Not even once did he apologize about the issue.
Not very professional!

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He basically said since he has never heard this happen before he isn't really interested in fixing the issue! I am honestly super disappointed in the way they handled it. From the photo that is not a great fit, for the price I am not satisfied!
200 bucks, I shouldn't have to "glue a fix" on this thing!

I was about to order two of these. I will stick with the BRS mesh solution. Yours is the second issue I've heard about with them and they really don't seem to care about making them right. Sad because they look and function really well if they are built right and to-size.

You can point them here to show lost sales.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to order two of these. I will stick with the BRS mesh solution. Yours is the second issue I've heard about with them and they really don't seem to care about making them right. Sad because they look and function really well if they are built right and to-size.

Funny you mention that. I am having a side conversation with another member and I just said the same thing. I'd rather spend $39.99 on a screen top I built and know will cover the tank VS $200+ on a top that doesn't fully secure the tank.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it the more angry I become. "We haven't had this issue before" is beyond unacceptable. I lost 2 fish from jumping and that is entire point I purchased the product. Furious

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's also a screen top kit built my Innovative Marine but I can't remember where you can get those. I'll probably try this one this time as I didn't like BRS. BRS one is flimsy and can't do a reverse angle with the way the corner clips are.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried moding the sock tray in order to just remove the sock from the top rather then sliding it out ?
I have a skimmer and reactor that's always in the way.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried moding the sock tray in order to just remove the sock from the top rather then sliding it out ?
I have a skimmer and reactor that's always in the way.

Yep, did that over a year ago! I assume most people do that who don't use the Red Sea ATO. I actually posted about it on the very first page of this thread... post #5

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't modify the tray itself but instead cut the outside edge of the sock off all the way around. Not sure if you can tell by this picture but this works pretty well. Sock doesn't sit in the tray as good but it comes out easily through the top so I don't mind.

20161115_195935.jpg

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't modify the tray itself but instead cut the outside edge of the sock off all the way around. Not sure if you can tell by this picture but this works pretty well. Sock doesn't sit in the tray as good but it comes out easily through the top so I don't mind.

20161115_195935.jpg
Thanks

Did you do that to the Red Sea socks or different brand

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah exactly, what did you do?

You simply need to grind the grey opening large enough so that a standard 4" sock will drop in. With the 4" sock dropped in, then trace/scribe around the outer plastic lip of the sock, onto the black plastic. You will then grind the opening of the black holder to that line. Now a standard 4" sock will drop right in!

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Did you do that to the Red Sea socks or different brand

This is with the red sea socks. I think in order to use standard socks you'll have to modify the tray like Broadfield did. My tank was already up and running before I ditched the ato so this was the easiest way I could think to do it. Plus I had a few extra red sea socks I ordered when I got the tank so I figured if it didn't work out I wasn't out anything.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is with the red sea socks. I think in order to use standard socks you'll have to modify the tray like Broadfield did. My tank was already up and running before I ditched the ato so this was the easiest way I could think to do it. Plus I had a few extra red sea socks I ordered when I got the tank so I figured if it didn't work out I wasn't out anything.

Awesome thanks !!

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You simply need to grind the grey opening large enough so that a standard 4" sock will drop in. With the 4" sock dropped in, then trace/scribe around the outer plastic lip of the sock, onto the black plastic. You will then grind the opening of the black holder to that line. Now a standard 4" sock will drop right in!

Thank you !

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know if the res sea reefer 250 will go lower then $1299 on black friday?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned a few pages back that I would be selling my manifold/pump/reactor setup and I wanted to give the memebers in this thread first dibs. I can easily sell the M1 by itself, so I would be more than happy to sell the kit without it. Here's the details again, price and pictures:

The package will include the following and be a drop-in for the Reefer 450 and 525XL
  • EcoTech Vectra M1(7 months old)
  • 3/4" schedule 80 for main piping and manifold
  • 1/2" schedule 80 for reactors and 1/2" Spears gate valves
  • (1) AquaMaxx standard biopellet reactor(brand new canister)
  • (1) AquaMaxx standard sized fluidized reactor for GFO, GAC etc.(brand new canister)
  • Mounting brackets
  • Finished off with a Red Sea o-ring twist lock fitting
This will literally hook up in seconds to your existing Red Sea return. You will simply need to mount the assembly to the underside of your cabinet. I will include the mounting brackets and some 1/2" zinc plated screws. Asking $449 shipped. ***SOLD***

IMG_7778 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7779 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7780 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7785 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7783 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Last edited:

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should, BRS has them 10% off in most of their sales.

If not look in their sponsor forum and sign up for the next group buy. You can sign up and earn 10% rewards points, that's what I did and got back a decent chunk of change to spend on my return pump!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back