Show off your EELS!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt anyone here has seen a white mouth moray, Gymnothorax meleagris in the hobby? I saw some wild ones and they were incredibly pretty.

Hey @Slocke are you talking about this one, saw it at an lfs, I really liked it but they run copper in their system.

20231130_121137.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Slocke are you talking about this one, saw it at an lfs, I really liked it but they run copper in their system.

20231130_121137.jpg
Was it dark black with white spots? I’ve seen some online labeled as a white mouth but they lacked the almost pitch black bodies.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it dark black with white spots? I’ve seen some online labeled as a white mouth but they lacked the almost pitch black bodies.

I don't think it is the body color, as this color can change with mood and maturity as well as be a variation within the species. It's the white mouth, solid white, top and bottom that will be a true tell.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is the body color, as this color can change with mood and maturity as well as be a variation within the species. It's the white mouth, solid white, top and bottom that will be a true tell.
The ones I saw in the wild were all almost black and so pretty. Perhaps the Hawaiian variant is darker.
I wish now I’d gone for a tank with one impressive eel and nothing else and one of those would be my first choice.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White mouths as I knew them were not black but a darker brown.

20231130_121137.jpg
To me, that looks like a goldtail moray (G. miliaris), the spots are larger with more space between them than typical white mouths, and they tend to have a more blunt head and a lighter body coloration. That being said, the pattern has so much variation in both species. Goldtails are basically Atlantic white mouths, although the white tends to be more pure-white in the Pacific species.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White mouths as I knew them were not black but a darker brown.

To me, that looks like a goldtail moray (G. miliaris), the spots are larger with more space between them than typical white mouths, and they tend to have a more blunt head and a lighter body coloration. That being said, the pattern has so much variation in both species. Goldtails are basically Atlantic white mouths, although the white tends to be more pure-white in the Pacific species.
This is what I saw in Hawaii. It might be brown but a very dark brown and I think you can agree a stunningly pretty fish.
1704024602766.jpeg

Alpha_The_Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many eels are in there??? They are beautiful
Thank you for the kinds words.

This picture isn't current so I'll have to recall from memory. This is probably a year into the hobby? I was still being very stubborn about alot of things, making mistakes , learning and adapting as I went.

There was a :

Dragon Moray
Purplemouth Moray
West African dragon moray
White eye Moray
Teselata moray
Fimbriated moray
There were atleast 2 more but its fuzzy.

(Don't do this)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kinds words.

This picture isn't current so I'll have to recall from memory. This is probably a year into the hobby? I was still being very stubborn about alot of things, making mistakes , learning and adapting as I went.

There was a :

Dragon Moray
Purplemouth Moray
West African dragon moray
White eye Moray
Teselata moray
Fimbriated moray
There were atleast 2 more but its fuzzy.

(Don't do this)
Oh wow! Lots of eels! Lol. I only have my two, I got lucky. They snuggle together in the same burrow!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you missed it earlier in the thread, but of course I agree, I owned one when I lived in Hawaii lol.
IMG_0539.JPG
Yes! That’s what I saw and that one is magnificent. I was lucky enough to see one getting its mouth cleaned by a cleaner wrasse. One of the coolest things I’ve seen diving

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally joined the eel gang!
Meet Lil Sharpie the Skeletor eel. He is smaller around than a Sharpie marker (hence the name) and waaaaay too cute for his own good. He'll be living in his cookie jar for a few more months before he's too big to fit down the overflow box!
Super excited to join the eel gang. This has been a dream animal for almost a decade, so to finally find one was amazing. I've fed him two ghost shrimp since the 30th (the day I got him &my birthday) and he's also eaten a tiny piece of frozen scallop.
17042001120685334070650936651836.jpg
17042002859737057862749773289441.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back