Here's my little showpiece-to-be, lol.

IMG_20230708_093108~2.jpg

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not in the display?
Long story short, my LFS got it a long time ago, but it immediately disappeared in the rocks, asssumed dead. When it reappeared months later it was the size of a mushroom and all white. They kept it until it had some brown to it, and then let me buy it. I've been recuperating it since then.

I have a dedicated area of my sump with reef lighting and multiple flow options, built specifically for anemone rehab, and I've done it several times with other species.

Specifically to answer your question - I have several different species of anemone in my system, and this one came to me very weak. Between the size, the lack of color, and the high risk of chemical warfare, I want it where I can see it until it's a lot bigger. Getting a nice, healthy gigantea is hard these days and I'm not taking any chances. :)

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my LFS got it a long time ago, but it immediately disappeared in the rocks, asssumed dead. When it reappeared months later it was the size of a mushroom and all white. They kept it until it had some brown to it, and then let me buy it. I've been recuperating it since then.

I have a dedicated area of my sump with reef lighting and multiple flow options, built specifically for anemone rehab, and I've done it several times with other species.

Specifically to answer your question - I have several different species of anemone in my system, and this one came to me very weak. Between the size, the lack of color, and the high risk of chemical warfare, I want it where I can see it until it's a lot bigger. Getting a nice, healthy gigantea is hard these days and I'm not taking any chances. :)
Get it situated so it can set it foot into a rock and stick it in your display. Even on the little ones the tentacles should be nice and elongated (like this pic). That gig was maybe an inch across? I hear about chemical warfare a lot, but don’t really pay much attention to it.

Attachments

• IMG_1929.jpeg
    IMG_1929.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 54

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it situated so it can set it foot into a rock and stick it in your display. Even on the little ones the tentacles should be nice and elongated (like this pic). That gig was maybe an inch across? I hear about chemical warfare a lot, but don’t really pay much attention to it.
Is it mostly chemical warfare between different types of nems? like BTAs?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it mostly chemical warfare between different types of nems? like BTAs?
If you ask those with multiple giganteas in the same system, most often one of the gigs is the largest, and all others are smaller. It's almost as if one takes on a dominant role. In the wild, it's believed that these are solitary anemones, unlike BTAs and magnifica that are often clustered together (coincidentally, these are the anemones that reproduce asexually).

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back