Show your sump setup!!

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some inspiration. Show me your sump setup. I want all the details and closeups.

*note your tank size

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36” Trigger platinum sump with fleece roller
Reef Octo 250-int with recirculating lid for a CO2 reactor, which also needs a desiccating reactor to keep the media dry.
Dual 600W heaters with a Helio controller
GFO reactor
Carbon realtor
HOB large Refugium
GRO Refugium light
Dual COR-15 return pumps
Trigger 5 gallon RODI reservoir
Tunze 3155 Osmolator
Icecap 250 magnetic Kalk reactor
DOS putting in 2 part
Been working on the wire and hose mess.
120 gallon display
image.jpg image.jpg

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36” Trigger platinum sump with fleece roller
Reef Octo 250-int with recirculating lid for a CO2 reactor, which also needs a desiccating reactor to keep the media dry.
Dual 600W heaters with a Helio controller
GFO reactor
Carbon realtor
HOB large Refugium
GRO Refugium light
Dual COR-15 return pumps
Trigger 5 gallon RODI reservoir
Tunze 3155 Osmolator
Icecap 250 magnetic Kalk reactor
DOS putting in 2 part
Been working on the wire and hose mess.
120 gallon display
image.jpg image.jpg
Man I must say, there is a lot going on in this picture lol.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I must say, there is a lot going on in this picture lol.
It takes a lot. Asked over and over, is this all good before ordering. Then found out the skimmer is too big and almost no one has experience with fleece rollers. HOB fuge was not my first choice

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a lot. Asked over and over, is this all good before ordering. Then found out the skimmer is too big and almost no one has experience with fleece rollers. HOB fuge was not my first choice
I understand. I'll be honest, I don't understand fleece rollers. I've got one that just sits there and collects dust because I prefer a filter sock tbh. But I must say, I am very impressed with the amount of tech and complexity you have in the small space. Any chance you have a full tank shot you can share?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. I'll be honest, I don't understand fleece rollers. I've got one that just sits there and collects dust because I prefer a filter sock tbh. But I must say, I am very impressed with the amount of tech and complexity you have in the small space. Any chance you have a full tank shot you can share?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
DIY $10 acclimation box in front

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fleece rollers are awesome when working correctly. The components can be touchy if you yank on any wires. Too much water in the sump and you lose a $25 roll. The do stink a bit as well. Imagine having a filter sock laying out in the air. But the technology is new. I still would choose it over filter socks. Trigger has been VERY helpful.

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fleece rollers are awesome when working correctly. The components can be touchy if you yank on any wires. Too much water in the sump and you lose a $25 roll. The do stink a bit as well. Imagine having a filter sock laying out in the air. But the technology is new. I still would choose it over filter socks. Trigger has been VERY helpful.
Interesting. Why prefer it over filter socks?

How long do you typically leave things in the acclimation box?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7335 (1).jpg
This is my basement sump for my 300 gallon reef display above. Its just an aqueon petco 75 gallon tank. No baffles, just wide open with a filter roller and protein skimmer and external pump. Refugium is in a separate 20g long above. Super simple setup, extremely easy to maintain and works great.

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7335 (1).jpg
This is my basement sump for my 300 gallon reef display above. Its just an aqueon petco 75 gallon tank. No baffles, just wide open with a filter roller and protein skimmer and external pump. Refugium is in a separate 20g long above. Super simple setup, extremely easy to maintain and works great.
Did you have any trouble when drilling the glass on the aqueons?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any trouble when drilling the glass on the aqueons?
Not on the larger ones, they are pretty easy to drill. Ive drilled many 10, 20, 40, 75 and 180 gallon aqueon tanks. The only ones I had trouble with are the 10 gallon because the glass is so thin that it can crack if you put too much pressure.

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_8376.jpeg
IMG_8375.jpeg
IMG_8374.jpeg
IMG_8336.jpeg
IMG_8371.jpeg

My Tideline 36 sump (roughly 40 gallons) for my 120 gallon 4x2x2 tank.

So far I’m only running a ClariSea SK3000 G3 filter roller for export, but I just started the tank last week. I’ll soon be starting up a refugium, and I have a protein skimmer on standby if I need it.

I had originally planned to run dual return pumps, with one running through a manifold, and the other running through UV. I combined both returns into one and am now just running a single return pump.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Why prefer it over filter socks?

How long do you typically leave things in the acclimation box?
For the roller, I like being able to leave it for a month or two before changing. That makes weeklong vacations easier for my tank sitters. I also like less maintenance for me.
This is my first acclimation box. It is hideous and ugly. I would like to keep the Desjarnin Sailfin there three weeks. But know I will give in at ten days. So interesting to see how the fish investigate the new tank mates. I hope it works

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8376.jpeg
IMG_8375.jpeg
IMG_8374.jpeg
IMG_8336.jpeg
IMG_8371.jpeg

So far I’m only running a ClariSea SK3000 G3 filter roller for export, but I just started the tank last week. I’ll soon be starting up a refugium, and I have a protein skimmer on standby if I need it.

I had originally planned to run dual return pumps, with one running through a manifold, and the other running through UV. I combined both returns into one and am now just running a single return pump.
Love the plank autofeeder

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8376.jpeg
IMG_8375.jpeg
IMG_8374.jpeg
IMG_8336.jpeg
IMG_8371.jpeg

Clean setup! Nice work!

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6264.jpeg
IMG_6265.jpeg

- Running Clarisea SK5000 Gen 3. Works exceptionally well. A bit of a pain when first learning how to change out the mat. But now can do quickly.
- Reef Octopus 200-INT skimmer
- Ecotech L2 for return pump.
- Ecotech M2 for UV pump. UV returns back into the sump right before the return chamber so water is not recycled through the sterilizer.
- Innovative Marine Helio PTC 1000w heater (BEST heater I have ever owned!!)
- Neptune ATO
IMG_4860.jpeg

- BRS CO2 scrubber

Tank 6x2x2 Peninsula

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big fan of the basement sump, if you can pull it off. Mine is a wide open (no baffles) Rubbermaid 150 gallon stock tank. Everything external. I ran a 3” external PVC manifold for my external pumps and external skimmer. With a basement setup, you don’t have to worry whether or not your equipment is too big. Or too noisy. I love seeing others that have done the basement sump thing.
IMG_0245.jpeg

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big fan of the basement sump, if you can pull it off. Mine is a wide open (no baffles) Rubbermaid 150 gallon stock tank. Everything external. I ran a 3” external PVC manifold for my external pumps and external skimmer. With a basement setup, you don’t have to worry whether or not your equipment is too big. Or too noisy. I love seeing others that have done the basement sump thing.
IMG_0245.jpeg
I very much agree. I love that with these totes you can easily go large with the sump and you avoid a lot of issues with under stand sumps.

Too bad I live in an area where basements don't exist.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back