Shrimp goby compatibility

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a randall’s Goby and a tiger pistol shrimp right now. I really like them and enjoy watching them. So, I was wondering if I could get another shrimp goby, pistol shrimp, or both to go with them. Or would the goby fight with another goby and the shrimp fight with another shrimp? If I did get another goby, what type? Another Randall’s or a different one? And if I got another shrimp, what type of shrimp?

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sets of paired Wheelers gobies with Red Striped shrimp in a 185gl. Both prs were bought at different times so not sure how the 1 you have would react to another one being added

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’m not sure how my goby would react to another since my tank is a lot smaller than yours is. Do you mean that you have 4 gobies or two gobies? Would a different kind of goby or another Randall’s be more likely to get along? Also, what about another pistol shrimp? Sorry for all the questions
I have 2 sets of paired Wheelers gobies with Red Striped shrimp in a 185gl. Both prs were bought at different times so not sure how the 1 you have would react to another one being added

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’m not sure how my goby would react to another since my tank is a lot smaller than yours is. Do you mean that you have 4 gobies or two gobies? Would a different kind of goby or another Randall’s be more likely to get along? Also, what about another pistol shrimp? Sorry for all the questions
If you could sex the one you have(Not sure How) then you could get the other sex. I'm just not sure a 45 is big enough for different gobies species so I would think another Randall's would be best. LA sells pairs with shrimp all the time along with info on the species. If the Dracula's weren't so much I would have gotten a pr of those.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could sex the one you have(Not sure How) then you could get the other sex. I'm just not sure a 45 is big enough for different gobies species so I would think another Randall's would be best. LA sells pairs with shrimp all the time along with info on the species. If the Dracula's weren't so much I would have gotten a pr of those.
Thanks. I’ve heard that some shrimp gobies can change sexes, so maybe if I got a small one? I was actually going to get a pair of them off of LA, but a great deal that I couldn’t pass up came up at my lfs. I’ll have to look into sexing them though.

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yasha hase goby, living with a black ray goby, living with both of their Candy stripe pistol shrimp, in the same hole in my 36g. These gobies are known to live together though, and I’m not sure about the compatibility of a Randall’s goby. As for the shrimp, you’ll usually need the opposite sex or they will fight. I’m not aware of a reliable way to sex them.
Depending on how much of the tank their burrow takes up, you could probably introduce another goby/shrimp pair, but be aware they may fight. IMO it really depends on the individual animals.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I wouldn’t add another goby/shrimp combo. If they were added simultaneously or within a short time frame, possibly. Territory would be the issue.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yasha hase goby, living with a black ray goby, living with both of their Candy stripe pistol shrimp, in the same hole in my 36g. These gobies are known to live together though, and I’m not sure about the compatibility of a Randall’s goby. As for the shrimp, you’ll usually need the opposite sex or they will fight. I’m not aware of a reliable way to sex them.
Depending on how much of the tank their burrow takes up, you could probably introduce another goby/shrimp pair, but be aware they may fight. IMO it really depends on the individual animals.
Did you add them simultaneously or no?

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add them simultaneously or no?
No, the yasha and his shrimp were added as my first fish, then ~3 years later I added the black ray. He was living in a hole in the rock for awhile before I got him a shrimp. Within a week or two the shrimp connected their holes and the gobies went with it. The shrimp are a breeding pair, never had aggression between the gobies outside of feeding

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the yasha and his shrimp were added as my first fish, then ~3 years later I added the black ray. He was living in a hole in the rock for awhile before I got him a shrimp. Within a week or two the shrimp connected their holes and the gobies went with it. The shrimp are a breeding pair, never had aggression between the gobies outside of feeding
That’s interesting, but remember the first rule of fish keeping, there are no rules

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting, but remember the first rule of fish keeping, there are no rules
That’s very true. These two species frequently live together in the wild though, so I guess they usually get along okay.
AD2B7B67-EA1E-406D-8C67-F4A42C7B0F59.jpeg
455C5137-B1BC-425C-BA53-F06801E18E65.jpeg

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a candy pistol shrimp get along with my tiger pistol?
I mean, as with mine, you never know what they’ll do. However, as a general rule I’d say no? The tigers are a lot bigger and more aggressive so it might not work out too good. I’ve never seen anyone try, but it’s probably for that reason. If you want a pair it could be worth it to research further about pairing tigers, or rehome the tiger you have and introduce two small candy/Randall’s at the same time? It would definitely be interesting to look into

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, as with mine, you never know what they’ll do. However, as a general rule I’d say no? The tigers are a lot bigger and more aggressive so it might not work out too good. I’ve never seen anyone try, but it’s probably for that reason. If you want a pair it could be worth it to research further about pairing tigers, or rehome the tiger you have and introduce two small candy/Randall’s at the same time? It would definitely be interesting to look into
I figured that was the case. I would hate to rehome my current pistol. It gets along really well with my goby, so I guess I will look into finding it and my goby a mate.

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that was the case. I would hate to rehome my current pistol. It gets along really well with my goby, so I guess I will look into finding it and my goby a mate.
Keep us posted on how it goes, if I find any resources I’ll drop them here!

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely keep you posted. The only thing that I’m worried about is that if I get another one, it would change genders during quarantine. if there was fighting, I’m afraid that I wouldn’t be able to catch one of them. I know it’s a little off topic, but does anyone have tips on how to sex pistol shrimp or gobies? Also, do you all have any tips on how to catch the shrimp or gobies?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely keep you posted. The only thing that I’m worried about is that if I get another one, it would change genders during quarantine. if there was fighting, I’m afraid that I wouldn’t be able to catch one of them. I know it’s a little off topic, but does anyone have tips on how to sex pistol shrimp or gobies? Also, do you all have any tips on how to catch the shrimp or gobies?
I know this is quiiiite old, but did you end up going for it? I have a Randall’s goby, and just found a really well priced yasha I’d like to go. They would be in a 40 Breeder.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up deciding not to get another shrimp or goby because I didn’t want anything to end up getting killed. Sorry that I can’t be more of a help. I haven’t seen my shrimp in over a year now, but my goby is still doing good. I thought I was hearing it snap every now and then, but i recently noticed that it’s probably just my clownfish making bubbles at the surface. If I get another one, I’ll let you all know.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back