Sick clownfish

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown looks really faded. He might be a little weak, but not enough not to swim. I have 2 picasso clowns, a jewel fish, and a goby. All the others are doing fine. What could be wrong?
4dbe0d078d92ca969a561853fbf7c4ab.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post age of tank and current value for ammonia and nitrates.
Did you just wake this fish up?
In the images the clown looks to be on the skinny side?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? When did he start looking faded like that? Is he eating? He does look skinny. Have you noticed any other symptoms like heavy breathing, swimming into the flow of a power head, hiding a lot in the dark, flashing, scratching, or head twitching?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how long have you had him? Is this a new addition or have you had him awhile?

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? When did he start looking faded like that? Is he eating? He does look skinny. Have you noticed any other symptoms like heavy breathing, swimming into the flow of a power head, hiding a lot in the dark, flashing, scratching, or head twitching?
Twitching and hiding in the dark, had him for around 4 months

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post age of tank and current value for ammonia and nitrates.
Did you just wake this fish up?
In the images the clown looks to be on the skinny side?
Ill get all that as soon as i can

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He eats well

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twitching and hiding in the dark, had him for around 4 months

Can you possibly pull him out for a fresh water dip? I want you to check for flukes but at the same time the dip will help clear out the gills.
Here's how and what to look for:
Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

1459813172723-jpg.336938

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding in the dark and faded colors really spells velvet to me. I would remove all fish to a qt and treat with coppersafe or chelated copper ASAP. Bring it up to therapeutic dose over 48 hours.

I can't remember what to do for quick relief but I think @melypr1985 may be able to advise. Freshwater dips won't do anything for velvet

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding in the dark and faded colors really spells velvet to me. I would remove all fish to a qt and treat with coppersafe or chelated copper ASAP. Bring it up to therapeutic dose over 48 hours.

I can't remember what to do for quick relief but I think @melypr1985 may be able to advise. Freshwater dips won't do anything for velvet

The twitching is what had me thinking flukes first. Velvet did occur to me and the FW dip will at least flush out the gills some and buy the fish more time. I certainly agree that a QT should be ready and set up, and copper made available so that if flukes arn't present the fish can go straight into QT and be treated. But the dip will provide some immediate relief for a fish with velvet, though it is short lived and treatment should begin right after.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After feeding him a little extra all his color came back and he looks really happy, could he have just been starving? All the fish i have are heavy eaters so its possible he wasnt getting enough, and hes the smallest

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its not really head twitching its a full body twitch when the other clown hits him, everywhere i looked says thats normal for clowns

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now my neon goby is hovering over the clown, eating parasites maybe?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its not really head twitching its a full body twitch when the other clown hits him, everywhere i looked says thats normal for clowns

Yes the submissive "shimmy" is normal for clowns. If that's what he's doing, then that changes some things.

Now my neon goby is hovering over the clown, eating parasites maybe?

Neon gobies do not eat parasites off of fish. Ick, for example, burrows under the skin and cannot be eaten off another fish like your thinking. Even cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp are only eating the dead skin cells and excess mucus near the insertion points.

I would keep an eye on him and the rest. I'm glad he looks better for you though! :)

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the submissive "shimmy" is normal for clowns. If that's what he's doing, then that changes some things.

Neon gobies do not eat parasites off of fish. Ick, for example, burrows under the skin and cannot be eaten off another fish like your thinking. Even cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp are only eating the dead skin cells and excess mucus near the insertion points.

I would keep an eye on him and the rest. I'm glad he looks better for you though! :)
I knew about they cant eat ick, ive had an outbreak and succesfully treated the tank a few years ago. But with flukes arent the worms hanging off of the fishes gills where the goby can get them?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew about they cant eat ick, ive had an outbreak and succesfully treated the tank a few years ago. But with flukes arent the worms hanging off of the fishes gills where the goby can get them?

They dont really hang off the gills, but are like little clear ovals stuck on the exterior of the skin and in the gills. I've never seen neon gobies clean a fish though so that's what I'm stuck on. Theoretically a cleaner wrasse could eat them off the skin, but if the fish is small I dont know if it could get in the gills to get them. It wouldnt stop the flukes from being in the tank though.... the eggs would keep hatching and spreading new flukes all over.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont really hang off the gills, but are like little clear ovals stuck on the exterior of the skin and in the gills. I've never seen neon gobies clean a fish though so that's what I'm stuck on. Theoretically a cleaner wrasse could eat them off the skin, but if the fish is small I dont know if it could get in the gills to get them. It wouldnt stop the flukes from being in the tank though.... the eggs would keep hatching and spreading new flukes all over.
No i wouldnt expect it for treatment, i just want to know if i have a parasite or not. Hes not showing symptoms of anything right now

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back