Sick Mandarin Dragonet-Acting wrong

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I need some serious help with my mandarin dragonet. I just found him floating at the top like he’s about lifeless. Eyes are sunk in, clearly awake but not functioning right. Coralline algae is new but it’s taking over the tank so I’m lowering the light exposure. What could be going on with him? I took him out easily without a fight at all. I went ahead and dosed Prime and Stability. I’ll be doing a water change tomorrow but he’s not leaving the surface. Idk what to do.

02AD9844-C81B-4E6D-A2B7-4D6579D83B15.jpeg

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, some additional details will greatly help with an accurate diagnosis and proper assistance.
How old is the tank?
What sized tank?
What other inhabitants?
Can you post your tank parameters?
How long have you had the dragonet?
Do you have copepods in your tank?

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, some additional details will greatly help with an accurate diagnosis and proper assistance.
How old is the tank?
What sized tank?
What other inhabitants?
Can you post your tank parameters?
How long have you had the dragonet?
Do you have copepods in your tank?
Yeah I just ran the tests but it’s with API masterkit which I know isn’t loved on here. Tank will 11 months in a few days. It just started to mature with coralline which has grown aggressively and spread all over and it does have copepods. I just lowered the light hours from 8 down to 6. I’ve had him since October 29th last year. There is a pair of clownfish and two blue leg crabs. None of them are acting off.

SG: 1.026
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a sunken stomach? From the top down video it looks bony and skinny, it hard to tell from that angle. Was it pecking at the rocks the last couple days or just sitting on the sand?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on needing to see a side view. Most of the problems seen with this species long term are diet related, especially in light of the other fish in the tank doing well.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Starvation is first suspect as they generally have outward eyes and sunken is not good. While they are said to be disease resistant, they offer a challenge for recovery once sick. Pics will tell the story

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a sunken stomach? From the top down video it looks bony and skinny, it hard to tell from that angle. Was it pecking at the rocks the last couple days or just sitting on the sand?
He was a hunting all the time until last night. He still has copepods in there. I’m trying to set up a hospital tank for him and get pictures from there because he won’t sit still or give me a clear picture. He ate the brine shrimp over night that I gave him because they’re not there and he’s a little more feisty today. I’ll get some pictures when I get his hospital tank up and running so he’s not stressed in a cup. His belly does look sunk in from underneath but I don’t see the side bone yet because a bit active this morning.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can do. He doesn’t feel good enough to move much. Idk what to do at this point.
1249DB66-8C54-4297-A325-B91EFBA256FC.jpeg
Below is him just Saturday. He was very active and hunting. Pods we’re all over the place.
C815BE3A-CC3D-4010-A66C-D81353FC7B5F.jpeg

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank looks very new and clean. rocks and sandbed look too clean. Are you sure he is not starving?

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just ran the tests but it’s with API masterkit which I know isn’t loved on here. Tank will 11 months in a few days. It just started to mature with coralline which has grown aggressively and spread all over and it does have copepods. I just lowered the light hours from 8 down to 6. I’ve had him since October 29th last year. There is a pair of clownfish and two blue leg crabs. None of them are acting off.

SG: 1.026
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm
What’s the tank size? Tank may also not be large enough to sustain enough pods.
Your ammonia is really high. Are you sure your tank is properly cycled? If so, you may need to confirm this number with a better test kit.
Since ammonia is high can you check your pH for us too? This makes a difference in ammonia toxicity.
As for immediate action on the assumption that the ammonia reading is correct, I would suggest doing an immediate 50% water change followed by another 50% water change in 2 days.
You can also try to use some Amquel to neutralize the ammonia. Currently the ammonia is at toxic levels.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ammonia is really high. Are you sure your tank is properly cycled? If so, you may need to confirm this number with a better test kit. What are the other tank inhabitants? As for immediate action on the assumption that the ammonia reading is correct, I would suggest doing an immediate 50% water change followed by another 50% water change in 2 days.
Api test always show that.. it’s a false positive lol..

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api test always show that.. it’s a false positive lol..
May or may not be. Cannot assume anything given there are distressed fish in question. That’s why it needs to be confirmed with a better kit. I get that there are false positives from time to time, but a reading of ammonia 1ppm is still not something to casually dismiss.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May or may not be. Cannot assume anything given there are distressed fish in question. That’s why it needs to be confirmed with a better kit. I get that there are false positives from time to time, but a reading of ammonia 1ppm is still not something to casually dismiss.
Clowns and inverts are all acting normal.. I’d say it’s safe to assume it’s a false positive but! I know exactly what you’re saying.. I think this little guy just needs food myself..

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns and inverts are all acting normal.. I’d say it’s safe to assume it’s a false positive but! I know exactly what you’re saying.. I think this little guy just needs food myself..
Sorry, I’m still not seeing where there’s any mention of what other tank inhabitants are and whether acting normal. But yes, I would agree the main suspicion with thin looking mandarin gobies is that it’s most likely starved.

Edit: thanks Troylee!

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Altough other fish are not showing any signs of change, and false positives or not with API kit, I think it would be more beneficial to do a water change then not to.
your mandarin appears to have a shrunken stomach.
Do you add live copepods for food in your aquarium, you say there's lots?
Also if you can offer a different type of food, I tried various live frozen and found my mandarin loves frozen bloodworms, I also add live artemia daily

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Best I can do. He doesn’t feel good enough to move much. Idk what to do at this point.
Below is him just Saturday. He was very active and hunting. Pods we’re all over the place.
Goby is slightly thin and from pic on Saturday, are signs of possible aggression/tail nipping. These guys stress easily. Dont think ammonia is a culprit as there would be signs as heavy breathing, color getting pale, but do address ammonia Assuming its accurate with small daily water changes and assure there is a semi-heavy supply of food(pods and rotifiers available to eat)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m still not seeing where there’s any mention of what other tank inhabitants are and whether acting normal. But yes, I would agree the main suspicion with thin looking mandarin gobies is that it’s most likely starved.
Third post.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon closer inspection of the Saturday picture, I would say the goby was actually looking a little thin even then, you can see the light poking through between his abdomen and ventral pelvic fin.
If starvation is the case I would suggest target feeding with good foods like live pods, BBS

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Altough other fish are not showing any signs of change, and false positives or not with API kit, I think it would be more beneficial to do a water change then not to.
your mandarin appears to have a shrunken stomach.
Do you add live copepods for food in your aquarium, you say there's lots?
Also if you can offer a different type of food, I tried various live frozen and found my mandarin loves frozen bloodworms, I also add live artemia daily
I have seen the pods myself. I also hatch bbs for him. I tried to get him on frozen but it came down to him dropping weigh than convincing him otherwise so I had to quit and hit him good with pods and bbs. I do have a culture but it’s low right now.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back