OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the tank size? Tank may also not be large enough to sustain enough pods.
Your ammonia is really high. Are you sure your tank is properly cycled? If so, you may need to confirm this number with a better test kit.
Since ammonia is high can you check your pH for us too? This makes a difference in ammonia toxicity.
As for immediate action on the assumption that the ammonia reading is correct, I would suggest doing an immediate 50% water change followed by another 50% water change in 2 days.
You can also try to use some Amquel to neutralize the ammonia. Currently the ammonia is at toxic levels.
Main tank is a 20g H. I was looking to upgrade to a 55g at least. Yeah, the tank is cycled. I will have to check pH.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the pods myself. I also hatch bbs for him. I tried to get him on frozen but it came down to him dropping weigh than convincing him otherwise so I had to quit and hit him good with pods and bbs. I do have a culture but it’s low right now.
Not to doubt that you have seen pods in your tank. But a lot of beginner mandarin goby keepers simply do not realize how many pods these little fish can eat. Each mandarin goby is capable of consuming 2500-10000 copepods per day! Simply seeing some pods in the tank is not always a guarantee that there are enough to sustain a goby. Other factors also come into play such as total tank size, refugium space etc.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main tank is a 20g H. I was looking to upgrade to a 55g at least. Yeah, the tank is cycled. I will have to check pH.
Tank is a little bit on the small side for sustaining a pod population for a mandarin goby. 45 gallon is typically what I’d recommend minimum. Even in 30 gallons you’d have to feed live pods to sustain the in tank population.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the pods myself. I also hatch bbs for him. I tried to get him on frozen but it came down to him dropping weigh than convincing him otherwise so I had to quit and hit him good with pods and bbs. I do have a culture but it’s low right now.
If pods are too large chances are mandarin will not eat them, so it's possibly consumed all pods available, mandarin need good constant supply of pods as these guys can peck/eat hundreds of times a day, if you are setting up a hospital/ quarantine tank, try various foods, you can buy pods for £1-2 a bag, buy them monthly if you culture is low

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If pods are too large chances are mandarin will not eat them, so it's possibly consumed all pods available, mandarin need good constant supply of pods as these guys can peck/eat hundreds of times a day, if you are setting up a hospital/ quarantine tank, try various foods, you can buy pods for £1-2 a bag, buy them monthly if you culture is low
Where do you get them that low? Where I get them, they cost $28-50 for an 8oz bottle. Yes, he’s in a hospital tank right now.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to doubt that you have seen pods in your tank. But a lot of beginner mandarin goby keepers simply do not realize how many pods these little fish can eat. Each mandarin goby is capable of consuming 2500-10000 copepods per day! Simply seeing some pods in the tank is not always a guarantee that there are enough to sustain a goby. Other factors also come into play such as total tank size, refugium space etc.
I knew it was thousands but figured it was 5-7k pods. Good to know. My plans are to move the 20g into a 55-75g then move my culture into the 20g. I had plans to add a refugium but lack of hours at work kind of put me in a hard place at the time. I’ll look into one again

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get them that low? Where I get them, they cost $28-50 for an 8oz bottle. Yes, he’s in a hospital tank right now.
Besides culturing my own... £17.50 for 10 bags.
There's a great post from Atoll that shows how to culture pods outside, it's practically free

Attachments

• IMG20230407195712.jpg
    IMG20230407195712.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG20230407195703.jpg
    IMG20230407195703.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 27
  • VID20230407195735.mp4
    34.1 MB
  • Screenshot_2023-04-07-19-58-29-45_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-07-19-58-29-45_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 31

colledge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave him alone. My mandarin will just go limp looking and float circles in the current. I was worried at first but I think it’s just what they do. I’ve seen him do it at least 4 times the first time I seen him do it I got the net because he looked dead but he was fine.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave him alone. My mandarin will just go limp looking and float circles in the current. I was worried at first but I think it’s just what they do. I’ve seen him do it at least 4 times the first time I seen him do it I got the net because he looked dead but he was fine.
That’s exactly what he did. I’ve never seen mine do that until this morning though. Normally he’s hunting all day and showing off. He’s not eating right now but hiding under the rocks. I added a bottle of tigger pods to get his attention. I’m hoping it’s not too late. He isn’t pinched like I’ve seen them but I’m believing it’s the lack of pods.

colledge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what he did. I’ve never seen mine do that until this morning though. Normally he’s hunting all day and showing off. He’s not eating right now but hiding under the rocks. I added a bottle of tigger pods to get his attention. I’m hoping it’s not too late. He isn’t pinched like I’ve seen them but I’m believing it’s the lack of pm
That’s exactly what he did. I’ve never seen mine do that until this morning though. Normally he’s hunting all day and showing off. He’s not eating right now but hiding under the rocks. I added a bottle of tigger pods to get his attention. I’m hoping it’s not too late. He isn’t pinched like I’ve seen them but I’m believing it’s the lack of pods.
Was your light on or off? Mine would only do it with the light off. He looked paralyzed and would just go with the flow.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your light on or off? Mine would only do it with the light off. He looked paralyzed and would just go with the flow.
At the time since I changed my timer it decided to turn on at 2am, it was on for a short bit until I got up and manually unplugged it. It’s rather confusing why it’s not going on the right time. But yeah it was crazy and very alarming to see. He’s never done that. Usually he sleeps on the sand or on top of a rock.

colledge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a google search. “Mandarin goby floating in tank” and you will see a ton of posts about it. I guess it’s normal for them to find a mate or more food so I wouldn’t worry. You probably should just add some more pods and he’ll be fine. Watch some of the videos it’s funny they just go limp and float in circles.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get him into a QT tank loaded with freshly hatched BBS, and see if he eats.
They’re due to hatch tonight. He’s in a QT tank right now with a whole bottle of tigger pods. I haven’t been home this evening to check on him yet. I got the culture going at 3am so there should be some when I get home. Usually is around 18hrs.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for the night. He’s not eating yet and under a rock. The tigger pods are even swimming beside him and he’s just eyeing me when I come up.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, is he displaying any hunting behavior? Or just seems to be ignoring the pods? Mandarins tend to be most active hunters in the morning and after that they don’t feed as actively.
Any rapid breathing or gasping?
Have you seen him swimming around tonight? If so, was anything abnormal?
Under the rock like he wants to be there? or like he’s drifting around and wedged?
Can you get an updated photo in the morning? (don’t bother tonight if your lights are off, it’ll just stress him more).

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, is he displaying any hunting behavior? Or just seems to be ignoring the pods? Mandarins tend to be most active hunters in the morning and after that they don’t feed as actively.
Any rapid breathing or gasping?
Have you seen him swimming around tonight? If so, was anything abnormal?
Under the rock like he wants to be there? or like he’s drifting around and wedged?
Can you get an updated photo in the morning? (don’t bother tonight if your lights are off, it’ll just stress him more).
He’s just sitting there. I just turned the lights on. Pods are even going on him.
65F110B6-6DE5-4AD1-8C24-CAF8E1DB6EA8.jpeg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back