Sick of GHA going to start dosing perxoide

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
borrow a small scopas tang right about now they are mowers im tellin ya :)

clean up all that white algae in a few days, so hungrily. my lfs has 4 small ones they do this with, fish rental lol. then they go back home in a 180 tank

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I am still plucking Gha out of the tank daily. The peroxide hasen't turned the algae white aside from a few stands tips. Its day ten of perxoide.
This is following a two week treatment of Api algae fix and a prior ten day treatment of algae x by fuana marine.
My sea hare has gone into hideing but has eaten some algae. It dosen't seem to go where the bulk of the algae is..
Most of what is left is crouched beside and under a digitata that I fear if I go into pluck more out I will accidentally break the coral.
It seems the start3 by zeovit is causeing the algae to still grow slowly.

I have cut back on feeding the fish two one or two feedings per day only minimal amounts
I have cut back on the light intensity as well
IMG_0833_zpsmofmuuwe.jpg

Here is a 200 dollar orange passion frag I just got today
If the peroxide dosen't work I really don't know what I will do.
IMG_0832_zpsgr9z28zn.jpg
If you want the algae away from that orange passion you can spot treat the algae in tank. Gone in two days

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
borrow a small scopas tang right about now they are mowers im tellin ya :)

clean up all that white algae in a few days, so hungrily. my lfs has 4 small ones they do this with, fish rental lol. then they go back home in a 180 tank

Thanks for the tip. I know Kole Eye's are good with cleaning as well.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i wouldnt give to trade some gha or cyano for my dinos.

anyway. try to avoid amino acids and stay the course. if it was me id pull one rock, scrub it off and place back in for the oj passion.

congratz on the fun piece

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say hermit crabs and snails en masse are worth their weight in gold, no matter the situation.

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks the same as before. I have removed one rock today and done a 7 minute spray down with 3% peroxide to see what happens I took a photo of it before.
but as for the dosing I've pretty much given up on it considering its been 15 days and no change

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bugger what I was hoping to see off pics is if you now have 100% white algae w no green left in it. nonfunctional, dead algae can remain via holdfasts and means nothing regarding eutrophication, it just hasn't degraded its plant matrix enough to let go yet

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this signifies a regrowth of the algae right in the former patches of white, thats interesting to see. we can also see coral impact details if any considering the time thats gone by. if the former white is now back to pre treatment total green, thats interesting to see, and the nutrients that feed it are interesting to hunt down considering the ulns intent for the system.

if no pics thats ok doesnt hurt to ask, lots of people have been watching the thread unfold and verbal updates are ok too.

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon the algae never turned white
This is what it looks like before the spray
IMG_0837_zpsu8tfkqrd.jpg

this is after the spray
IMG_0838_zps1ju9acpj.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post 10 vs post 29 was what made me think that

but i see it wasnt a total white, thats clear. the indirect application simply didnt burn all of it no prob. The test rock that was treated externally vs the ones treated internally shows a universal outcome difference in all other threads, if your test area doesnt follow suit then at least no damage has occurred and there must be 29 ways reefers battle algae. the fun part of peroxide is making predictions where there was no harm in trying. You have certainly caused some whitening in the algae that was clear on the two posts, so some forward motion was made at least, no harm in trying.

that spray test area does look better though, watch it in two more days it looks like it will go all white. It will if a brand new bottle of medical 3% was used and poured on is better than spray.

Also if I'm recalling correctly, post 10 vs post 29 is a single treatment vs the 3x week shown in the threads, there is demonstrable arrest of growth here. By not rushing the in tank treatments your corals are better off. We've seen what to expect both in beginning algae bleaching and coral preservation with what you've shown so far.

I know its no fun work to have to emerse each rock and hit it, but, that may be worth it if this simple test rock shows a strong outcome. There is no rush. Months to ramp up,weeks to ramp down is fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've treated half the tank. Coral polyps are not out Im kinda worries but I diden't spray the corals. I will post pictures tomarrow if it turns white. I've removed some rock the tank looks much better now

OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0839_zps9ov7m3gm.jpg

3% sprayed for 7 minutes half the tank is done but the peroxide really messed with my skin I should have wore gloves

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the mild skin drying from 3-6% medical is on the stratum corneum outer skin layer and goes away in three hours

People gargle it

Good thing it wasn't 35% :)

The first time I got 35% on my hand, after two hours of blanche white streaks on my hand and tingling I made a thread asking if I'd incurred permanent nerve damage

This guy was a pool cleaner and laughed and said no, but he could see how I'd ask that lol. Said he once took some to the lap while loading pool shock peroxide, doh

It would not be surprising if getting peroxide on skin with any preconditions made for an irritant, however.

That pic above is the *classic peroxide after shot. Nothing beats emersed treatments and I can't think of anything that would give this specialized lawn mower effect compared to pre treatment condition. It is totally ok to be rinsing off these growths now

You want the rock space back open for coralline reseeding, coral planting. What we've done is simply work around and partially on SPS corals with an algaecide.

Measures you take for nutrient control will have a better chance now.

No more dosing in the tank IMO as nothing beats the predictability and outcome of a spot treat. Its worth the work

Your whole tank will be algae free very soon, and since the corals already survived the full tank dosing, and can now be externally treated where no peroxide contacts them, the rest of this restoration is just taking it easy and scrubbing all this dying mass off again, externally.

Thanks for leaving it on though long enough for after shots, those are indeed golden. I'll link your thread here to the big peroxide threads on the web.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bugger

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0840_zpsd9srz7tw.jpg

Algae free there is still some stuck on the back wall. I even got some peroxide on my digi but it just slimed up and came back out. I removed alot of rock to make it more easy to clean

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bugger

that's the nicest after shot I've seen considering your corals were never brown and had strong coloration we had to conserve, I can't thank you enough for these details and pics this is -valuable- info for others. I dont recall doing another zeo tank before this one, those are delicate for sure. Im linking to nano-reef.com huge peroxide thread as we speak.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the lighting intensity and or duration less than what it runs when there are no eutrophication challenges as you feed and change water better than usual to add back some coral mass
then slowly work back up to normal photoperiod.

We just worked around/opted out of nine months of nutrient chasing, if we can pull off not a single loss of coral along with it then we have laid another brick in the wall of veritable eutrophication options.

Our expectations for tank look without the grazer loading found on real reefs is unnatural, you should expect to see some algae that requires minimal care in the future but any nutrient controls will have a better chance now having removed the major mass

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back