Sick purple tang

Zatai41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI

this purple tang i bought from a reefer has been in qt for a week now.
Raised copper power to 2.20 last 3days.

It was doing ok yesterday but has bunch patches on him

Did a fresh water bath but hes not doing too well

20191216_190015.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.0 is a good number for copper power. What test kit are you using to determine levels? And do you have an ammonia badge to check for ammonia? Are you running any other meds?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60-90 minute bath in Ruby Reef Rally. It has both qualities like antiseptic and antibiotic. And then follow with either NFG powder or the "trifecta" of Metro + Kanaplex + Furan2

OP
OP
Z

Zatai41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using hanna cheker
I do have an ammonia badge its yellow.

I had go back to work will be back home in couple hours if a better pic is needed.

I did use seachem stress gaurd but it wa 48h before I dosed copper. I did 2 30% wc before dosing copper.

I have 2 20g qt pulmbed together, with a failfin and 2 wrases.

Only the purple tang is sick

OP
OP
Z

Zatai41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never used furan 2 ,it affects the bio filter right ?

I have 20g water mixing should i remove from copper and dose furan ,?

I only have furan and metro on hand
If i use the same scoop from metroplex , howmany scoops of metro and furan per gallon ?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose as directed on each container. Here's the dosing schedule for the Trifecta:

Dosing Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex....

Make sure you dissolve the powders in a bowl of tank water before pouring it in! I'd recommend dosing one at a time, waiting a few minutes between each medication. If you've never used furan-2 it is going to turn your water green. It can potentially make reading an alert badge difficult but, as long as you seeded your qt, you'll be doing good sized waterchanges and should be fine. Also, you'll probably want to run a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water. Airstones will also aid in aeration. It is very important that you follow this for a minimum of 10 days, even if the fish starts looking good beforehand. Just like with humans you never want to end antibiotics too early.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing therapeutic levels of copper and antibiotics is "usually" ok. But you'll have to decide if your fish is strong enough. Copper lowers a fish's immune system; antibiotics give a fish's immune system "time" to fight off infection/disease.

OP
OP
Z

Zatai41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys , sadly didnt make by the time i got home.

I did a 50% wc, and running catbon. Will do another 50% wc tomorrow.

Not sure if i should dose furan and metro since i have few other fish in the qt who do not have symptoms.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing therapeutic levels of copper and antibiotics is "usually" ok. But you'll have to decide if your fish is strong enough. Copper lowers a fish's immune system; antibiotics give a fish's immune system "time" to fight off infection/disease.
May I ask you a question? Iwas searching disease threads looking for help. I have a 300gal fish only system with very large:eek:ld fish have had intermittent ich that won’t go anyway. We thought it was gone and added two tangs: young unicorn and Vlamingi no signs of ich and were coppered first. Then about 5 days later I noticed ich on my fish again so we started dosing copper in the 300gal display, cupramine using Hanna checker. Have done this before. We have a 40gal quarantine with a yellow tang that we had to remove from the display because it stopped eating so we used kanaplex and it looks better and is eating after two weeks. The yellow was pale and had a red nose that’s why I used the antibiotics. Then my queen angel died for no reason no signs of infection, wounds and copper level is still low not therapeutic. Minimal ich was seen on a few fish. Now the unicorn tang has some torn fins that have some black discoloration. The unicorn got harassed when we first put it in the tank by a naso tang. I think there is bacteria in my tank and the unicorn is getting fin rot. I can remove it and put in quarantine but I’m afraid that since the yellow tang got sick and the queen just died Tuesday that I should treat all the fish. My question is can I use furon with cupramine?? I know how hard it is to treat the 300 display and risks to biofilter. I can do 50 gal water changes for the schedule and replace biofilter. Have Hanna checkers. Do you think this is a fair idea I know it’s not the ideal solution. I just don’t want to loose more fish. Thank you so much in advance for reading my post.
I have furon, general cure, and reef rally on hand enough to treat 300 gal for a few days and can order more and get by Monday.
Thank you

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask you a question? Iwas searching disease threads looking for help. I have a 300gal fish only system with very large:eek:ld fish have had intermittent ich that won’t go anyway. We thought it was gone and added two tangs: young unicorn and Vlamingi no signs of ich and were coppered first. Then about 5 days later I noticed ich on my fish again so we started dosing copper in the 300gal display, cupramine using Hanna checker. Have done this before. We have a 40gal quarantine with a yellow tang that we had to remove from the display because it stopped eating so we used kanaplex and it looks better and is eating after two weeks. The yellow was pale and had a red nose that’s why I used the antibiotics. Then my queen angel died for no reason no signs of infection, wounds and copper level is still low not therapeutic. Minimal ich was seen on a few fish. Now the unicorn tang has some torn fins that have some black discoloration. The unicorn got harassed when we first put it in the tank by a naso tang. I think there is bacteria in my tank and the unicorn is getting fin rot. I can remove it and put in quarantine but I’m afraid that since the yellow tang got sick and the queen just died Tuesday that I should treat all the fish. My question is can I use furon with cupramine?? I know how hard it is to treat the 300 display and risks to biofilter. I can do 50 gal water changes for the schedule and replace biofilter. Have Hanna checkers. Do you think this is a fair idea I know it’s not the ideal solution. I just don’t want to loose more fish. Thank you so much in advance for reading my post.
I have furon, general cure, and reef rally on hand enough to treat 300 gal for a few days and can order more and get by Monday.
Thank you
Here is a picture of unicorn. It eats but not very active for a tang.

88484EB2-95F1-487F-895B-2A3A60B69242.jpeg AC064CAD-CC68-494C-BBFC-7F43EA01BB4B.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is can I use furon with cupramine?

Yes. Furan2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic that is used for treating both gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections. It can also be used in the combination we call the "Trifecta" Furan 2 + Kanaplex + Metro to give a very comprehensive treatment for bacterial infections by itself or when treating with copper for Ich or Velvet. It can be hard on the biofilter as you mentioned.

That's a lot of Furan 2 to treat a 300 gallon tank. Yikes!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Furan2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic that is used for treating both gram positive and gram negative bacterial infections. It can also be used in the combination we call the "Trifecta" Furan 2 + Kanaplex + Metro to give a very comprehensive treatment for bacterial infections by itself or when treating with copper for Ich or Velvet. It can be hard on the biofilter as you mentioned.

Thank you so much for the quick answer. I’m worried if I don’t treat the whole tank and just remove the unicorn the bacteria will remain. I don’t care about cost to order all the furon as much as I don’t want to loose any fish. My Sohal is 12 and same for Koran angel.
I have four oxygen bubblers in the 300 gal plus four power heads lots of sand and rock. Will keep a close eye on all fish and check ammonia and replace bacteria when done. We also have kanamycin sulfate powder which is what we used in quarantine on the yellow tang that is now doing well.
Thank you very much for your help and so quick. I really appreciate it.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about coppersafe? And prazi, I currently have a atlantic blue tang, white patches forming on body, heavy breathing and seems to want to scratch. It's in 2.0 of copper and I did a prazi treatment about 4 days ago.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about coppersafe? And prazi, I currently have a atlantic blue tang, white patches forming on body, heavy breathing and seems to want to scratch. It's in 2.0 of copper and I did a prazi treatment about 4 days ago.
Prazi can deplete the O2 in a tank. Are you running a powerhead aimed up at the surface so that it's actively rippling the water surface?
Can you post a pic of the white patches.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powerhead and an air stick in the tank. Just did water change, copper is still around 2 to 2.5 added kanaplex and furan2.

20200314_123153.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back