Sick Wrasse please help

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue sided Wrasse was doing great then suddenly one day started eating and coming out less. This morning he's looking like crap at the bottom front corner of the tank. He's still eating and had a few bites of garlic and selcon soaked food this morning but went right back to sand and laid on his side. Anyone have an idea ? If so what meds can I use ?
60fcc0f12680a15ddf9f0f03a135f371.jpg
18facf07dc63775f2ec6ca52d1f4e1db.jpg

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will need to do a bath/dip to treat or maybe set up a hospital tank but I don't have one

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture is a little tough to tell but I would agree it could be velvet. I would personally do a freshwater dip, followed by an acriflavine bath (straight acriflavine or ruby rally), followed by 30 days in copper or chloroquine phosphate. When doing the freshwater dip I would check for flukes.

If it is velvet or any other parasite then all of your fish have it and should be treated.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like maybe velvet or brooklynella even :/ none of your other fish are showing symptoms?

I agree, freshwater dip to clear any parasites and mucous and get him some relief, followed by an antiseptic bath (acriflavine is a good choice). Look for flukes, but I don't think that this would ONLY be flukes. But, it could be a secondary infection if that is the case. Either way, I'd think about getting together materials for a QT just in case... brook or velvet can wipe out your entire tank pretty quickly :/

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another pic ... I'm gonna go get some meds and try a fwd followed by chemical bath and then see if I can somehow set up a hospital tank
f30a5d505d6df2c4e92914333f39d647.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another pic ... I'm gonna go get some meds and try a fwd followed by chemical bath and then see if I can somehow set up a hospital tank
All you should need is a 10 (or 20) gallon tank with HOB filter, heater, PVC pipes for hiding spaces, and a cover off course (eggcrate should work well). As @ngoodermuth said velvet and brook can kill quickly so acquiring meds is a good call.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went out and got api fungus cure... It's the only thing my local store had with acrflavine
I can't say I'm familiar with it. The only info I see online is it says for freshwater use and I am not sure what is in it. Were you able to get copper?

If you don't have acriflavine I would still do a freshwater dip and follow it up with copper. If it is brook and not velvet then you may want to place an order online for acriflavine MS or Ruby Reef Rally.

I would give this a read. Particularly post #2.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

and this for Brook:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API fungus cure will work. Use it as a bath matching the salinity and temperature of your tank. Make sure you keep it aerated both before and during the bath. 90 minutes, I use a small heater and air stone in a 5g bucket and check the temp periodically to make sure it's not overheating.

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the advice I did a freshwater dip followed by a bath in acriflavine and then into a qt tank using water matching the displays SG and temp... Once out of the bath the wrasse looked awful.. he's still alive but turned over on his back in a corner I'm not sure if I did this right or over stressed an already sick fish ?

Damian4883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is velvet and you cant organise a hospital tank you could try Polyp Labs medic, have used it once with success but probably not at such an advanced stage. Hospital tank will probably be the most effective with an anti fungal.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the advice I did a freshwater dip followed by a bath in acriflavine and then into a qt tank using water matching the displays SG and temp... Once out of the bath the wrasse looked awful.. he's still alive but turned over on his back in a corner I'm not sure if I did this right or over stressed an already sick fish ?
I don't think anything you did was wrong so far. How long was the bath for and did he appear stressed in it? I've typically done it in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and airstone for 90 mins FYI. Velvet can kill very quickly (within 24-48 hrs of noticing symptoms) so you have to take aggressive action. I'm still not sure if it is velvet or brook but the odds are probably in velvet's favor. You need to get moving quickly on copper to give this guy a chance do you have any?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freshwater dips can be stressful, but sometimes necessary. If a fish dies after a fw dip, it was already on it's way out...

Did you see any flukes? They would have looked like little white flakes.

OP
OP
E

Eric23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice very small white almost transparent things floating in the water after the dip... There were really small and hard to see. I where glasses but they we're still kind of fuzzy and hard for me to Identify

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back