'Silencing' Pumps. Advice? Good or bad idea?

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was a bit bothered by the humming/droning that I was getting from my Return Pump and Circulation Pump.

I had some filter pad lying around that I cut to size and sat underneath my return pump, and between my circulation pump and glass. Viola! Sweet silence. [emoji28]

I am just checking in here to see if anyone foresees a problem with this in regards to... Will those pads end up soaking up bacteria and just becoming problems in terms of like Nitrate traps? My gut feeling is it might be a problem down the track...

Does anyone else have any advice or better suggestions on how to reduce the droning/humming from pumps and such?

Thanks in advance!
20180621_181425.jpeg
20180621_183759.jpeg

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen silicon pads for the same purpose. Maybe a soft rubber. I'm sure those would be fine for a month or so then replace them. I know brs has some that look like you could find at Walmart or wherever
0209c6b27e17774e01ec82d5f2086c00.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some filter pad lying around that I cut to size and sat underneath my return pump, and between my circulation pump and glass. Viola! Sweet silence.

Seems fine to me vs something not intended for inside a tank. Cheap to replace if you need to.

I'm a little surprised the 6040 (with silicone dampers) was a noise issue. Did you hear it all the time? What kind of noise was it making?

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be nervous on the circulation pump, it might scratch the glass over time with its gentle vibration and movement.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a piece of filter padding under one of my noisy pumps for a while and it works great, just change it out every few months if it becomes real dirty.

OP
OP
CookeRS

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems fine to me vs something not intended for inside a tank. Cheap to replace if you need to.

I'm a little surprised the 6040 (with silicone dampers) was a noise issue. Did you hear it all the time? What kind of noise was it making?
Nice product identification [emoji14] - Yeah all the time, it was just that regular low vibration sound I am probably a bit over zealous on tackling the noises my tank makes because it's close to the couch in the living room and you can hear it when your watching TV and stuff.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the return pump, they sell OXO Good Grip silicone mats. You can get them from BRS but they're way overpriced. Amazon for that. A silicone mat won't absorb anything like a pad.

As for in the tank, there's nothing I would use. Your magnet may lose grip and the pump could drop into the sand. The powerhead shouldn't really make noise though.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice product identification [emoji14] - Yeah all the time, it was just that regular low vibration sound I am probably a bit over zealous on tackling the noises my tank makes because it's close to the couch in the living room and you can hear it when your watching TV and stuff.

Could be normal I suppose, but I'd consider taking a movie with audio of the pump/noise and emailing Roger at Tunze to see if he thinks it is too. (see: https://www.tunze.com/US/en/about-us.html?type= for Roger's contact info.)

Their pumps were already REALLY quiet before they added the silicone isolators....it's hard to imagine needing supplemental dampening WITH the dampers if all is well.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back