Skimz protein skimmer silencer issue

BL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an old Skimz 181 skimmer that I’m trying to repurpose in my new tank. The pump and everything still work fine but, the delrin screw for the silencer doesn’t screw in enough to actually tune the skimmer. I’ve attached the best pic I could get to show the gap between the screw.

What’s the easiest way to fix this?

3F2622CD-C15C-448B-A221-144DC2940834.jpeg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest is knock the knob off and notch the top of the screw so you can recess it down. That or cut down the insert so it can screw in further.

Best way is to pick up a longer grub screw.

Alternative way is to put a piece of silicone tubing over the actual inlet pipe and kink/ziptie it to get air intake dialed in.

OP
OP
B

BL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a dc model? If so, you should be able to adjust the air intake with the pump speed. If ac, you can probably get a longer nylon thumb screw.
Unfortunately it’s an old AC model. I’ve got the screw pulled already just need to make a trip to lowes to see if they’ve got a longer one.

OP
OP
B

BL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest is knock the knob off and notch the top of the screw so you can recess it down. That or cut down the insert so it can screw in further.

Best way is to pick up a longer grub screw.

Alternative way is to put a piece of silicone tubing over the actual inlet pipe and kink/ziptie it to get air intake dialed in.
There’s actually a silicone tube running from the pump to the silencer, so I can probably zip tie that to adjust it. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back