~ Simple DIY Auto-Feeder adapter ~

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Auto-feeders are all dandy in theory but the problem with most Reeftank usage is that a large percenatage of the food (pellets and/or flake) get sucked into the overflow and only feed the pods in sump. I came across a picture in a book or magazine showing a adapter/holder that captures food into a partially submerged tube so food needs to sink to escape. By best of my memory it looked something like this that I fabricated up using some scrap/salvaged acrylic and Weld-On solvent.

Closeup of simple construction

With an inexpensive Nutrifin feeder and built to overhang Euro-bracing on my acrylic tank (could be made for most any application even a shorter span then using a nylon thumb screw to attach over std AGA Glass Tanks like some HOB equipment.

Couple pics on my tank showing detail of acrylic cylinder submerged below surface

I've been using this one on and off for about 6 months, while on vacation or just busy and want to still feed multiple times daily.

Cheers, Todd

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you know...I'm copying that LOL. wow that is really cool. also is VERY clean..great job!!!

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm full of 'it'............................ Great ideas that is and some of them actually work out as intended....lol

Thanks guys, and will continue to post up some of my many DIY Reef related projects that I have documented. I usually end up with gen 1 on my Reef and improved gen 2&3 for my friends, oh well....

Cheer, Todd

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back