Six Line Wrasse Lympho/tufts, ich, flukes, etc?

fiinndley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have a small 1.5-2” six line in my newly setup reef tank. He’s been in for about 3 weeks, maybe more. The tank was cycled with well established live rock and media. He seems to have developed white spots on him in the last few days. He has 2 or so on his body and a few on his fins. They seem to be causing his fins to tatter a bit as well. He has a good appetite and I have not noticed any behavioral changes.

I was thinking of dosing prazipro preventatively, but I don’t want to if I don’t need to.

Thank you all

Water perimeters:
salinity 1.025
calc: 410ppm
alkalinity: 11.5dkh (a bit high, but remains consistent)
nitrate: 2

2F16DB1B-E49C-43AD-AE02-3B2C58679098.jpeg E66ED947-EEBD-4FD3-8467-A38B21C09BCA.jpeg 6E5BEBD8-164F-4212-B047-91D4F0E55CDE.png 27FE9EB2-9CFA-4777-842F-C6957E0352A0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all!

I have a small 1.5-2” six line in my newly setup reef tank. He’s been in for about 3 weeks, maybe more. The tank was cycled with well established live rock and media. He seems to have developed white spots on him in the last few days. He has 2 or so on his body and a few on his fins. They seem to be causing his fins to tatter a bit as well. He has a good appetite and I have not noticed any behavioral changes.

I was thinking of dosing prazipro preventatively, but I don’t want to if I don’t need to.

Thank you all

Water perimeters:
salinity 1.025
calc: 410ppm
alkalinity: 11.5dkh (a bit high, but remains consistent)
nitrate: 2

2F16DB1B-E49C-43AD-AE02-3B2C58679098.jpeg E66ED947-EEBD-4FD3-8467-A38B21C09BCA.jpeg 6E5BEBD8-164F-4212-B047-91D4F0E55CDE.png 27FE9EB2-9CFA-4777-842F-C6957E0352A0.jpeg
Looks like mucus cones and ich spots suggesting ich parasite. At times can be sand but this is not consistent with sand
Fish should be treated with api general cure otherwise coppersafe. See in the morning if the dots have increased or decreased. If the same or more- prepare for a 30 day treatment. The display tank if ich should be fishless for at least 45-60 days

OP
OP
F

fiinndley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like mucus cones and ich spots suggesting ich parasite. At times can be sand but this is not consistent with sand
Fish should be treated with api general cure otherwise coppersafe. See in the morning if the dots have increased or decreased. If the same or more- prepare for a 30 day treatment. The display tank if ich should be fishless for at least 45-60 days
Appreciate the info…

This has probably gone on for a week or so. My other fish have no signs of ich or anything. If it were ich wouldn’t it have spread to other fish by now?

Thanks in advance

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the info…

This has probably gone on for a week or so. My other fish have no signs of ich or anything. If it were ich wouldn’t it have spread to other fish by now?

Thanks in advance

I think these are mucus plugs/cones. They look a bit too large to be ich. The way to tell for sure is if they change location and change in number day to day. Mucus tends to be more constant, while ich will change around a lot, gradually increasing in overall numbers.

Just an FYI - General Cure doesn't work with ich.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appreciate the info…

Thanks in advance
Which is why I think mucus cones but fish still needs to be isolated

OP
OP
F

fiinndley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input.

I woke up this morning to feed the tank and the six line seems to now have a translucent film over his right eye. I’m guessing this is probably a mucus related issue now that he has this mucus/damage on his eye. I have no idea what the cause would be. The wrasse is probably the most aggressive/capable fish in the tank, and the other fish are similarly sized to it. I have a pair of 2” clowns, a royal gramma, and a diamond goby with him. I haven’t seen any fighting at all, so maybe he’s getting attacked at night. I have plenty of rock/caves/hiding places for him to go as well. It’s just odd that he’s the only fish with any sign of fin/eye damage. I will probably try to isolate and rehab him and see what happens. I don’t know for sure what it is, but ick seems unlikely to me after the eye situation. Still haven’t seen any behavior change and he ate normal this morning. I will add a pic of him this morning. Any advice on treatment will help as well :)

Pic of stuff on his eye:

Attachments

• D512DFBC-84C9-4A19-9CDE-2A9267300875.png
    D512DFBC-84C9-4A19-9CDE-2A9267300875.png
    729.2 KB · Views: 26

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input.

I woke up this morning to feed the tank and the six line seems to now have a translucent film over his right eye. I’m guessing this is probably a mucus related issue now that he has this mucus/damage on his eye. I have no idea what the cause would be. The wrasse is probably the most aggressive/capable fish in the tank, and the other fish are similarly sized to it. I have a pair of 2” clowns, a royal gramma, and a diamond goby with him. I haven’t seen any fighting at all, so maybe he’s getting attacked at night. I have plenty of rock/caves/hiding places for him to go as well. It’s just odd that he’s the only fish with any sign of fin/eye damage. I will probably try to isolate and rehab him and see what happens. I don’t know for sure what it is, but ick seems unlikely to me after the eye situation. Still haven’t seen any behavior change and he ate normal this morning. I will add a pic of him this morning. Any advice on treatment will help as well :)

Pic of stuff on his eye:

If you look at your second pictures, you can see that none of the spots from the first picture are in the same location. this is more an indication of ich. Hopefully not, because that means all of the fish in the tank have been exposed.

Jay

OP
OP
F

fiinndley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I’d agree, but the picture just makes it seem this way. The original photos that I posted show 2 dots on his pectoral fin, not his body even though it looks like his body. While it’s difficult to see in the post I made most recently, the two dots are still at the same place on his pectoral fin. That’s why it’s so difficult for me to decide on which way to go as far as treatment. Tia!

Finn

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back