SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then these arrived last night...

IMG_4785 2.jpeg

I've been wanting a controllable feeder that wasn't Neptune (loud and unreliable) based, and when I saw this I jumped on it. The quality of Apex stuff is just crap, and while I like the programmability, I am more concerned every day about it dying and causing problems with the tank. This way I'll have both devices running, watching each other.

I will hook the Control 4 up to the Wave Engine so they can communicate with Apex as needed. Also, I plan to get the Klir adapter to replace the tiny Klir controller. It's wasting way too much filter roll and it already burned out one motor trying to run past the end of the roll...

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then these arrived last night...

IMG_4785 2.jpeg

I've been wanting a controllable feeder that wasn't Neptune (loud and unreliable) based, and when I saw this I jumped on it. The quality of Apex stuff is just crap, and while I like the programmability, I am more concerned every day about it dying and causing problems with the tank. This way I'll have both devices running, watching each other.

I will hook the Control 4 up to the Wave Engine so they can communicate with Apex as needed. Also, I plan to get the Klir adapter to replace the tiny Klir controller. It's wasting way too much filter roll and it already burned out one motor trying to run past the end of the roll...
@SkiCatTX you’re talking about the Klir adapter that’s the manual advancer that doesn’t use electricity? They must have come out with them now. I enquired with Coralvue not to long ago and they said they were not in production yet.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
@SkiCatTX you’re talking about the Klir adapter that’s the manual advancer that doesn’t use electricity? They must have come out with them now. I enquired with Coralvue not to long ago and they said they were not in production yet.
I’m talking about this cable set and sensor:
426F30EF-0634-4A14-9C31-1CD6F86DF97F.png

It replaces the Klir sensor and tiny controller and allows you to program the Klir to run when and how you like...and access it online.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I’m talking about this cable set and sensor:
426F30EF-0634-4A14-9C31-1CD6F86DF97F.png

It replaces the Klir sensor and tiny controller and allows you to program the Klir to run when and how you like...and access it online.
Hey there, been a while. You have more info on that stuff? Where to get etc? Mines been working just fine as is but I do like the idea of getting rid of that cheesy little controller and consolidating control within my Apex.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the four stages together? No idea, but I'm giving it a try. I don't know if it was exhausted media in the original 3 stages (which I've replaced), or if it was getting past them anyway (which apparently happens), so I added the RowaPhos/Phosguard stage...I'll get a new ICP test in a couple weeks and we'll see if the value goes down any...
Did this do the trick then?

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SkiCatTX look just like the hinges on my Reefer but they’re not stainless and mine are quite corroded. Wonder if the Reefer hinges come apart like that, they don’t ASAIK.
No idea. I know not all hinges do this, but quite a few do. It has totally been worth it to be able to take the doors off when working with the tank.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, been a while. You have more info on that stuff? Where to get etc? Mines been working just fine as is but I do like the idea of getting rid of that cheesy little controller and consolidating control within my Apex.
I got mine directly from CoralVue, but I know the normal aquarium stores are gradually getting more of the Hydros parts...there are a lot of them, wires and adapters for all sorts of things.

However, I am not nearly as happy with the Control 4 as I thought I would be. It has crashed a couple of times already, with no error or message from the app. I just log in and it doesn't respond until I power cycle it.

Also, I never realized this from all the online reading I had done about it...the Control 4 CANNOT interface with the Wave Engine in any way...This is apparently coming, and a beta firmware is circulating that will enable this...but for now, there is no communication between the Control 4 and Wave Engine at all. I can control it with the Apex, but not their own controller...

That said, it is otherwise working fine. I was able to hook up the Klir and configure it. I'm still fine tuning the control to get the most out of a roll. For now I have it moving forward 1 second, then not allowing another move for 4 minutes. It will wait until the sensor is triggered though, so normally it doesn't move too often, but if at feeding time, or during cleaning, it needs to advance everyone couple minutes or it overflows the filter sock chamber cutouts at the top.

Oh, and on other thing...I think I will get one of those button boxes for the Hydros. Now that I'm not using the Klir controller, I have to open the app on my phone to advance the Klir manually...I might get one for the Apex as well.

I will try to hook up the feeder this weekend. If it works I way get another feeder and have two on the sump for when I start traveling again this summer.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this do the trick then?
Oh, yes. My last ICP test showed 0 Silicon in the RODI fresh water container. The tank is now down to 50% or so of what it was. I'm going to get a Triton ICP test shortly and send one of those in. Their results are much better documented and there are more details compared to the ICP-Analysis results...even though Triton is twice as much...though if you get a multi-pack it's not as bad.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yes. My last ICP test showed 0 Silicon in the RODI fresh water container. The tank is now down to 50% or so of what it was. I'm going to get a Triton ICP test shortly and send one of those in. Their results are much better documented and there are more details compared to the ICP-Analysis results...even though Triton is twice as much...though if you get a multi-pack it's not as bad.
thanks bud, appreciate the feedback. I will go and grab one of those and give it a try. My last test was showing some silicone as well. Glad to hear it did what it was supposed to do!

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, been a while since I updated the tank. Partly because I have been super busy, and getting back into traveling again for work, but mostly because there wasn't much to report. I have been pretty bummed about the brown corals and algae everywhere...I just haven't had the desire to clean everything up and take pictures. The rocks look pretty good, but the gravel is still covered with algae. I've decided to just let it go for now since it doesn't get worse, it just stays green.

However, recently I have started seeing some hints of color on the corals, and all the fish are doing pretty well these days. After returning from my latest trip, I had to clean up the glass, filters, and pumps anyway, so I took a whole pile of photos with my iPhone. This time I tried the Halide camera app so I can control the focus and lens. They worked out way better than the built-in app, since it doesn't focus well through the thick glass.

Pic of the Day:
IMG_5180.jpeg

Rabbitfish is in nearly every photo I take these days. Especially if I hold the camera still at a certain location. He'll just ease his way in from the side until he blocks the whole shot...then just sits there in the way... he never stops begging for more food and follows anyone around the room like a puppy.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, been a while since I updated the tank. Partly because I have been super busy, and getting back into traveling again for work, but mostly because there wasn't much to report. I have been pretty bummed about the brown corals and algae everywhere...I just haven't had the desire to clean everything up and take pictures. The rocks look pretty good, but the gravel is still covered with algae. I've decided to just let it go for now since it doesn't get worse, it just stays green.

However, recently I have started seeing some hints of color on the corals, and all the fish are doing pretty well these days. After returning from my latest trip, I had to clean up the glass, filters, and pumps anyway, so I took a whole pile of photos with my iPhone. This time I tried the Halide camera app so I can control the focus and lens. They worked out way better than the built-in app, since it doesn't focus well through the thick glass.

Pic of the Day:
IMG_5180.jpeg

Rabbitfish is in nearly every photo I take these days. Especially if I hold the camera still at a certain location. He'll just ease his way in from the side until he blocks the whole shot...then just sits there in the way... he never stops begging for more food and follows anyone around the room like a puppy.
I hear ya! We're all destined for that phase lol. Just came out of it myself. Turf algae turned into cyano and then diatoms haha. Finally just stepping back out of it myself. Hope it clears up best it can!

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SkiCatTX love the rabbitfish. Looks much better than the foxface rabbit.
Yes, interestingly, he's my Wife's favorite fish. She says he's probably the smartest as well, doesn't act like a fish, but more like a puppy.

My daughter likes Grover (technically Grover Jr), so ugly he's cute...

IMG_5153.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back