SkiCat's Dream Build: [Saving The] Planet 180 - The Making Of An Epic Aquacultured Mixed Reef

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recently added a vent to the side door where the chiller is. Despite having the air vent, it just isn't enough to pull the hot air from the chiller, so it ends up filling the stand, and the room, with hot air, which doesn't help efficiency, or my ability to work in my office. It's unfortunate you can see it from this side, but it blows air out of the office, which is good.

IMG_6396.jpeg

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, with algae everywhere, especially on the sand, I ordered a new set of cleanup crew, a box of pre-QT'd snails from Dr Reef at https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/. I have ordered from him a few times, and it's great to get completely algae-free snails that I can just drop into the tank and not worry about Ick and parasites.

I am also doing another round of Vibrant which worked reasonably well in the past, 20ml every 4 days for several months, then probably couple weeks after that if it seems to be working.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started looking for someone to QT some fish, I sent emails to everyone I could find online, especially the list on @Humblefish 's site, asking about QTing several captive-bred fish. Most either refused to do captive-bred, or didn't have room for more fish at the time. Adam responded immediately, and was very responsive while he looked into where he could get the fish (He already had accounts with Biota and ORA), and prices were completely reasonable (most people are doing about 50% over discounted retail).

My initial plan was to go with QuarntinedFish, where I get my inverts, which is a great guy, and would otherwise be my first choice, but he works a lot and his response times are more than 7 days, sometimes requiring a second email to get any reply. I understand not pestering someone with frequent requests (I run my own company after all), but if I'm going to spend over $1,000 on fish, I'd like at least get a "let me get back to you this weekend" or something. Don't get me wrong, I have been completely happy with several invert orders, he's top notch with the QT process and shipping.

Adam is supposed to get my fish in this week, and he has promised to send pics, so I'll post as soon as I hear something.
Who does your invert quarantine?

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started following your build today and I'm only on post #120. I gotta tell you, as a former machinist I can really appreciate your OCD compulsion with your planning and attention to detail. As a hobbyist woodworker, I can also appreciate the intricate planning on your stand. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this build goes once I get to the part where you get it wet. Even more so to see what kind of sticks and fish you get in there. Thanks for such a detailed build thread. I'm really enjoying it.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who does your invert quarantine?
I have ordered several times from drreefsquarantinedfish.com. The inverts are very clean, and I haven't had any issues. He generally keeps lots on hand, so you don't have to wait weeks for your order.

For fish, I prefer to order from Adam at Ocean Devotion. He is very responsive and lives in LA, so he gets the fish directly from the source as they arrive in the US...and can also get captive bred if you want. I have ordered several times, and the fish have all been great. Be very specific about the size though, sometimes they can be smaller than you would expect unless you specify, but that hasn't been an issue.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started following your build today and I'm only on post #120. I gotta tell you, as a former machinist I can really appreciate your OCD compulsion with your planning and attention to detail. As a hobbyist woodworker, I can also appreciate the intricate planning on your stand. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this build goes once I get to the part where you get it wet. Even more so to see what kind of sticks and fish you get in there. Thanks for such a detailed build thread. I'm really enjoying it.
Thanks! I have been neglecting the thread...and the tank...recently, with work, a pool, and the holidays... I get a new shipment of fish next month, hopefully, I can get things cleaned up and get some pics...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still around, getting back to work and traveling. Also, a bit tired of dealing with algae and all the tank issues... Fish are doing great, corals not so much. Maybe this summer I'll try to get back on top of things.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there, you're not alone in going thru issues. Keep on keeping on.

Can confirm
Thanks guys, I get you. I get back from SF this weekend and I'm home for like 3 weeks straight...maybe I can get things cleaned up and post some pics.

I was expecting some new Pyramid butterflies and Watchmen from QT next week from Ocean Devotion, but apparently, Adam is having a hard time getting them through QT...

kabal2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i just read the whole 37 pages and great thread, got me some ideas for my upgrade, the only thing missing now is some pictures,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back