Skimmer Q&A Thread

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Coral Box D700 on my 75g DT + 20g sump. Lately I can't raise the water level to the normal level therefore I'm not getting any skimmate. Air vents are clear & I dismantled to clean it last weekend when I noticed it would start then stop then start again. I'm not handy at all... any advice?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a more thorough cleaning. Use vinegar if you didn't. Soak if you only scrubbed. Probe the air-intake with a toothpick to make sure it's clear on the inside. Etc.

Examine the impeller magnet very closely for any sign of damage, buildup or deformation.

Same for the impeller well of the pump....use a flashlight if necessary.

If you find nothing and the behavior doesn't improve, I would suggest trying a replacement impeller.

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a skimz skimmer that's an external skimmer. It has 2 ES5000 pumps. It is a new skimmer and we can not figure out what model it is. We also need to know how to dial it in. Any help would be nice.

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BioCube 16 with the Coralife skimmer made to fit. The skimmer works well but the bubble Stone clogs rather quickly. Is there any way to recondition these bubble stones?

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about my NYOS 160:
It's been, and is, skimming amazingly. But recently mine does not want to restart after the APEX shuts it down during a program, but found that if I blow into the airline, it starts right up. Otherwise, it just tries and tries to pull air in but won't. Is there any information on this? This issue is frustrating because I like to throw the system into feed mode right before leaving work, but now I can't do that.

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been, and is, skimming amazingly. But recently mine does not want to restart after the APEX shuts it down during a program, but found that if I blow into the airline, it starts right up. Otherwise, it just tries and tries to pull air in but won't. Is there any information on this? This issue is frustrating because I like to throw the system into feed mode right before leaving work, but now I can't do that.
Probably because your force spinning it to start. Make sure the impeller is good and not dirty or clogged

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Khh27 -- I haven't cleaned it since it was put into operation nearly a year ago. o_O . I'll clean it this weekend. I'm assuming I take her offline and just run her in a vinegar bath for a couple hours? What's the best method to clean a skimmer and not keep it offline for too long?

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Khh27 -- I haven't cleaned it since it was put into operation nearly a year ago. o_O . I'll clean it this weekend. I'm assuming I take her offline and just run her in a vinegar bath for a couple hours? What's the best method to clean a skimmer and not keep it offline for too long?
I would just take the pump off clean the pump really good make sure you take the impeller out and take a toothbrush the inside of the impeller hole I wouldn't say you need a full-blown cleaning right now if you don't need to. Look for our of roundness and cracks or swelling of impeller. Should be no more then a few hours tops. Take me like 30m if I don't viniger bath

D_Nyholm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BioCube 16 with the Coralife skimmer made to fit. The skimmer works well but the bubble Stone clogs rather quickly. Is there any way to recondition these bubble stones?
I just buy a cheap 2 pack from Amazon and change mine monthly. I think the 2 pack is $5 or so. It isn't the Coralife brand, just another wood airstone.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out post #1805 :)

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my aquamaxx EM200 silencer broke off, and it's loud as all get out now. I have some money saved, and am looking at the Reef Octopus Classic 150 INT or the Aquamaxx ConeS Q-2 skimmer.

Tank is about 120-125 system volume, right now lightly stocked, but the plan is softy/lps with future plans some sps. 10-12 fish, 2 tangs, and a fox face, with the rest of the fish small.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't like the EM200? ...or just can't find a replacement silencer? Maybe DIY a silencer?

If you switch, I'd suggest either an AquaC EV120 (uses a standard pump) or a Tunze 9410 (needlewheel). :)

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love the EM200, but can't figure out how to fix the silencer. both acrylic tubes broke. Not a really handy DIY kind of guy.

I may look at the Tunze 9410, or the Reef Octopus Classic 150 more. If i can find a used Q-2 that may be an option.

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love the EM200, but can't figure out how to fix the silencer. both acrylic tubes broke. Not a really handy DIY kind of guy.

I may look at the Tunze 9410, or the Reef Octopus Classic 150 more. If i can find a used Q-2 that may be an option.

Pretty easy fix. Just need a bottle of just about any size, something to make a hole like a drill or a punch, and some tubing to shove in it.

Someone making one out of a prescription container.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx is sending me a cap from a Q series as it essentially replaced the EM series.

$5 fix.

Now I can use those funds to get a T5....at some point.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back