• Doesn’t make a difference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 100gallon tank, with a Nyos 120 skimmer 8 watts. Cup takes about a week to fill. My question is, is there any benefits to upgrading to the 160 which is a bit bigger @ 18watts as in more power, more foam that strips out more gunk and better performance for water quality . By tank size from the company the nyos120 is best for 75 gallon tanks…

Last edited:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer cups fill up a certain speeds primarily because of the availability of dissolved organics rather than their size or capacity. If the smaller skimmer only skims a little, a bigger one won't skim more. In addition, FWIW, over-skimming is a real issue. Various organisms in the system need some of the dissolved organics removed by the skimmer. Removing some is a good way to make sure they don't build up too much, but removing too much limits those organisms that need them. In my opinion, erroring to the side of under-skimming is a better approach.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a whole paragraph then read previous reply and realized I was saying the same thing :) so +1 to above comment.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back