Skimmer water level bouncing?

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reef octopus 110 is finally setup in my sump and no matter what I do in changing the water level the water level "bounces" in the main body. Almost like the motor is cutting out. I got this secondhand and was told it was working but want to make sure it's not something I'm doing.

Attachments

• 20200919_190158.mp4
    19.2 MB

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reef octopus 110 is finally setup in my sump and no matter what I do in changing the water level the water level "bounces" in the main body. Almost like the motor is cutting out. I got this secondhand and was told it was working but want to make sure it's not something I'm doing.
It doesn't look like enough air is getting into the pump.
Looks like your water level is too low compared to the wavy line on the skimmer.

OP
OP
NatureHold

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like enough air is getting into the pump.
Looks like your water level is too low compared to the wavy line on the skimmer.
So the water line on the skimmer body needs to be the depth on the outside of the body? I was thinking that's where It needed to be inside the body (adjusting with gate valve). I'll try to put it a little deeper and see if it makes a difference

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the water line on the skimmer body needs to be the depth on the outside of the body? I was thinking that's where It needed to be inside the body (adjusting with gate valve). I'll try to put it a little deeper and see if it makes a difference
Thats how I interpret it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used the wavy lines to adjust my RO skimmer gate valve. I got it second hand and never did see an owners manual. Mine tends to "bounce around" after I have cleaned it. I adjust the gate valve and then readjust it after an hour, and check it again (today, Just cleaned mine yesterday, Thanks for the remind.)

These can also bounce around when adding messy food, medicines, or just putting a hand in the tank, ime.

Edit, after the video loaded, yours seems to be bouncing a lot more than mine does, like it is hitting a wall of some sort. I don't know why it would do that? Is the skimmer intake pump sucking air as the level in the sump gets lower? If yes, you need more water depth in the sump to avoid this.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call reef octo customer service, they're very good.

OP
OP
NatureHold

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. It was definitely the external water level on the outside of the skimmer body. Took if off the pedestal and dunked it a little more. Works like a charm. Thanks again.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back