Skimmer while on copper treatment

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now im on my 6th day of copper power treatment in my DT with daily testing using hanna checker. Out of nowhere, the skimmer overflowed.

Before dosing copper, the skimmer has already collected some gunks on the collection cup. And i forgot to clean the cup before dosing copper.

So now it overflowed into the sump, am i still good? Or do i need to reset the 30 days of copper?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a huge skimmer on a ridiculously small tank you'll be OK from a copper perspective.

Biggest thing to worry about it going below therapeutic levels. If this happens, then the clock would restart.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a huge skimmer on a ridiculously small tank you'll be OK from a copper perspective.

Biggest thing to worry about it going below therapeutic levels. If this happens, then the clock would restart.
I was thinking because the skimmer had already collected skimmate before dosing copper, wouldnt there be free swimming ich on the skimmate.

And then now that it overflowed, those free swimming was returned to the tank.

Am i overthinking or what LoL!

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend daily testing as your sand and rock may likely absorb Copper and also drive that number down.

I take it your tank is Fish only?
Yep . It is only fowlr . But i plan on ‘trying’ to remove all of the copper afterwards. I know it would be very hard. But im gonna still try i guess. Im following what 4fordfamily did. Alot of polyfilter, carbon, cuprisorb. And im also gonna try Triton Detox

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree with @ihavecrabs ^^^

I do have a couple of questions though.

Out of curiosity why did you choose to treat your DT with copper?

Do you have Live Rock? Since you are using a Hanna Checker and Copper Power together, have you noticed any absorption?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking because the skimmer had already collected skimmate before dosing copper, wouldnt there be free swimming ich on the skimmate.

And then now that it overflowed, those free swimming was returned to the tank.

Am i overthinking or what LoL!
Even if there were free swimmers in the skimmate, so long as your copper level is 1.5ppm or above, as soon as they hit the tank water they die instantly.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have Live Rock? Since you are using a Hanna Checker and Copper Power together, have you noticed any absorption?
I dont have a place for a qt tank that time. And i had to act fast because i was fighting velvet.

And there is definitely absorption. On some days, there would be absorption. On some, the reading would be higher than the previous day. So its kinda all over the place.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yup i have live rock and everything just a normal reef tank. But i turned off the UV. Im gonna be posting the reading of copper for the whole 30 days after im done with the treatment

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yup i have live rock and everything just a normal reef tank. But i turned off the UV. Im gonna be posting the reading of copper for the whole 30 days after im done with the treatment
I dont have a place for a qt tank that time. And i had to act fast because i was fighting velvet.

And there is definitely absorption. On some days, there would be absorption. On some, the reading would be higher than the previous day. So its kinda all over the place.

Not surprised, soaking it in, leaching out etc.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back