Skin Blotches on Chrysurus Angelfish

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just took a little look in my QT tonight and found this:
901BFE87-E253-4301-97F9-1DB88A4384A7.jpeg

Those are blotches on the skin of my chrysurus, I’ve dosed copper for the past couple days and it is currently ~0.3ppm. Should this be a concern? Thanks!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like flukes to me. Conduct a FWD to rule that out or identify. If flukes are confirmed treat with Prazipro.

Read this article on FWD and Prazipro treatment.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you look up white skin patch disease. Sometimes symptoms like what the angel seems to be displaying may appear as the result of low ph. Simply put most bacterial infections may be considered secondary or opportunistic, usually taking hold after a primary or initial problem ie., parasitic infestation, trauma to the fish, poor nutrition, poor water quality or fish aggression. Once the skin is breached oftentimes opportunistic bacteria will attack the damaged areas. A broad spectrum antibiotic such as kanamycin at a dosage of 50- 100mg/L or neomycin at 65mg/L is an effective cure. Again look up white patch and see if that makes sense for what your seeing on your angel.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest you look up white skin patch disease. Sometimes symptoms like what the angel seems to be displaying may appear as the result of low ph. Simply put most bacterial infections may be considered secondary or opportunistic, usually taking hold after a primary or initial problem ie., parasitic infestation, trauma to the fish, poor nutrition, poor water quality or fish aggression. Once the skin is breached oftentimes opportunistic bacteria will attack the damaged areas. A broad spectrum antibiotic such as kanamycin at a dosage of 50- 100mg/L or neomycin at 65mg/L is an effective cure. Again look up white patch and see if that makes sense for what your seeing on your angel.

I'll try to search it out. So far, I'm thinking those are the remnants of ich/velvet or a reaction to copper.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well could be. Unfortunately when you look up white skin patch disease on the internet they seem to think it’s the same as ich. It’s completely different. The only reason I thought white skin patch disease is if ich or velvet breached the skin it opens the fish up to bacterial infections. I can also see the previous responders idea of it being flukes.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well could be. Unfortunately when you look up white skin patch disease on the internet they seem to think it’s the same as ich. It’s completely different. The only reason I thought white skin patch disease is if ich or velvet breached the skin it opens the fish up to bacterial infections. I can also see the previous responders idea of it being flukes.

Yes I see that flukes may also be a cause.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large angels lose color patchy when they stress, have parasites attacking their slime coat, or when parasites are damaging their gills. Those look too
big for ich or velvet unless they’re insertion points becoming irritated or even infected.

I’d try the 5 minute freshwater dip first in a dark bucket and look for “sesame seed” things afterward. This would confirm or rule out flukes.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large angels lose color patchy when they stress, have parasites attacking their slime coat, or when parasites are damaging their gills. Those look too
big for ich or velvet unless they’re insertion points becoming irritated or even infected.

I’d try the 5 minute freshwater dip first in a dark bucket and look for “sesame seed” things afterward. This would confirm or rule out flukes.

Alright, I'll do the dip first thing tomorrow morning. It's already quite late to do one.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like flukes to me. Conduct a FWD to rule that out or identify. If flukes are confirmed treat with Prazipro.

Read this article on FWD and Prazipro treatment.

Im not convinced it is flukes.

I think there is something else going on. Really need a more clear pic to make a solid determination.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not convinced it is flukes.

I think there is something else going on. Really need a more clear pic to make a solid determination.

Well it’s nighttime here, I’d take a picture of it tomorrow, the guy literally stays in the pvc pipe the whole night.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'll do the dip first thing tomorrow morning. It's already quite late to do one.
I think that’s where we should start.

Important question - 0.3PPM of which copper?

Chelated copper: 2.0PPM minimum (Copper Power, Coppersafe)
Ionic Copper: .45PPM minimum (cupramine, cuprion)

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s where we should start.

Important question - 0.3PPM of which copper?

Chelated copper: 2.0PPM minimum (Copper Power, Coppersafe)
Ionic Copper: .45PPM minimum (cupramine, cuprion)

Ionic copper (cupramine) I’m still on the 4th day of ramping up, will be finishing up in a day or two. So far, appetite’s still good.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I decided to pull the trigger to put him in a freshwater dip immediately after I commented that I’d do it the next day, since I might not have time to do it. Matched temp and pH. No sesame seed spots seen, although he took a dump when I put him in freshwater and an extremely looooooooooong one when I put him back. Is the pooping normal? Poop’s not white and stringy tho. Now he’s stressed, whole body’s in a “blotched” state.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, he played dead in freshwater, like he froze the minute he entered, but went around swimming after a little touch. I thought only tangs do the play dead thing?

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color me stupid:)

Took me a while to get it as well.

Also, do fish get discolored after an FW dip? Mine turned whitish after the dip, although it’s calmly swimming, I think I’m just getting paranoid

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took me a while to get it as well.

Also, do fish get discolored after an FW dip? Mine turned whitish after the dip, although it’s calmly swimming, I think I’m just getting paranoid
Yes - they can discolor - but only for a limited time (like an hour)

Back