Smiddy's Reef 360 Peninsula

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, no build thread yet. Will start one as it gets closer. Will probably just spend the next few months doing the usual stuff of getting some dedicated electrical setup, plumb a drain pipe to sewage for AWC, reinforce crawl space, etc. Been treating some live rock with lanthanum chloride to get rid of phosphates.

I haven’t ordered my sump yet, but I think I’m going to go with advanced acrylic — one of their pvc/acrylic hybrid sumps. Once Trent starts building the stand I want to confirm the width before I order.

Shoot, so you’ll be well ahead of me. Good luck, will be following closely.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, no build thread yet. Will start one as it gets closer. Will probably just spend the next few months doing the usual stuff of getting some dedicated electrical setup, plumb a drain pipe to sewage for AWC, reinforce crawl space, etc. Been treating some live rock with lanthanum chloride to get rid of phosphates.

I haven’t ordered my sump yet, but I think I’m going to go with advanced acrylic — one of their pvc/acrylic hybrid sumps. Once Trent starts building the stand I want to confirm the width before I order.

Shoot, so you’ll be well ahead of me. Good luck, will be following closely.

All the things you just described is a great time to start a build thread! At least I know i enjoy seeing all the details of electrical, mechanical, and plumbing that goes into the initial planning.
I have rock and have been debating about curing, just with construction going on all the time its hard to find a "clean" space since the bins take up so much room. Luckily I have macro rock and should be relatively clean.

I looked at AA myself when I was shopping sumps. I will message you notes on them that have all the prices and differences.

I don't know about way ahead of you... Trent might be doing yours next anyways. What was your lead time?

Thank you! Should be a fun build.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lead time for me is 16-18 weeks. There’s no way they do my tank first.

Ok, you’ve convinced me. In a couple weeks I’ll see about getting that build thread started. In the meanwhile you better start getting your rocks cooking. The sooner the better! I mean, of course you have plenty of time for a cycle, but i just think it let’s your bacteria population balance out. I know it’s voodoo, but so is this whole “mature tank” business.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lead time for me is 16-18 weeks. There’s no way they do my tank first.

Ok, you’ve convinced me. In a couple weeks I’ll see about getting that build thread started. In the meanwhile you better start getting your rocks cooking. The sooner the better! I mean, of course you have plenty of time for a cycle, but i just think it let’s your bacteria population balance out. I know it’s voodoo, but so is this whole “mature tank” business.

No I don't think they will do yours first, but Trent has told me the real slow part of the builds are the steel stands and not necessarily the tank itself.

Whoop whoop. Trust me the earlier you start the build thread the more you will document, because when the tank arrives you will be ( or at least I would be) more distracted on getting it together versus posting the updates on R2R. That is when you forget to take photos of steps you took which others really like to see the development IMO. Its like all of a sudden your tank is cycling and half the fun of this hobby is building and designing your system!
Granted all of this is my opinion so take with a grain of salt.

I would have normally started the curing process of the rocks... but with all the construction type activities I am doing there is no area that is clean and can used for this. Significant other as limits to fish tank items taking up the entire house. ( Sump is already taking up the office...)

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Basement has been primed and first coat of paint was applied this weekend. Second coat will happen tonight and tomorrow. Tank is due at the end of March!
Paint 1.JPG
Paint 2.JPG
Paint 3.JPG
Paint 4.JPG

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started to add the hard flooring. Carpet is on the 17th. I will be adding vinyl where the tank will be sitting tonight!
Flooring 1.JPG

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a built in doggie door? Love it. We did that too when we remodeled. So much better than having them through existing doors.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a built in doggie door? Love it. We did that too when we remodeled. So much better than having them through existing doors.

Yes it is! Yeah I agree and I am not putting a doggie door through our new patio doors. Most of the pre made ones for doors suck IMO, Our it is because I have three dogs and the amount of us the door sees wears them out to fast.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where the tank will be and what the stand will be sitting on. I was able to get it centered between the bulkheads and on one slab of concrete with the hopes if the basement floor moves that tank will be isolated to one slab and move as a unit and not spanning two slabs with different movement. The vinyl should be help with any spills from the tank and drinks around the bar lip. For all those OCD about things, yes I made all the seams in the same place because the tank will cover them up and you will only see the outer perimeter of the floor and no need to spend time cutting the floor at different lengths to make them "look" better when installed. I did do that everywhere else though. The carpet will take up the rest of the flooring in the basement.
Flooring 2.JPG
Flooring 3.JPG

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With carpet coming tomorrow... efforts are starting to move towards the tank and fish room versus the basement finish! Cleaned out some the storage room and have brought some things down into the fish room:
Fish Room 2.JPG
Fish Room 1.JPG

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your sump stand???!!! Looking good. I am also in the middle of a basement finish and fish room build!

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your sump stand???!!! Looking good. I am also in the middle of a basement finish and fish room build!

I actually made half of it and then purchased the aluminum dunnage racks from amazon and them put them together.
Do you have a build thread going?

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually made half of it and then purchased the aluminum dunnage racks from amazon and them put them together.
Do you have a build thread going?
I have not started the build thread yet. I need to but i have been taking pics and video of the process. And if I start a thread then I have to keep up with it and I’m sure I will get distracted and spend more time on here instead of working on my basement. When I do I will let u know.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not started the build thread yet. I need to but i have been taking pics and video of the process. And if I start a thread then I have to keep up with it and I’m sure I will get distracted and spend more time on here instead of working on my basement. When I do I will let u know.

Yes that does happen.. but it is easier to document as you go versus after IMO. Just cause you can forget details or miss out on feedback that could change your mind on some things. Yes please let me know!

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet is complete. Baseboards should go up this weekend after Reefstock. Fish room will be the next priority.
Then all that is left is delivery & Tank install coming during the first week in April. One month!
Carpet 1.JPG
Carpet 2.JPG
Carpet 3.JPG

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, not bad, one month. Nice to know they don’t seem to be behind schedule. I put my order in about a month after you, so hopefully I’m at 2 months out. Room looks great. The idea of carpet around my tank is kinda scary. My house is hardwood floor so spills are not as demoralizing. But you have a fish room so that’s where the mess can happen with issue.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, not bad, one month. Nice to know they don’t seem to be behind schedule. I put my order in about a month after you, so hopefully I’m at 2 months out. Room looks great. The idea of carpet around my tank is kinda scary. My house is hardwood floor so spills are not as demoralizing. But you have a fish room so that’s where the mess can happen with issue.

I would assume you should be. The reason mine is taking so long is due to my removable bar on the steel frame. The tank and fuge will be done on time if not before. It's my custom stand that is taking so long.

I do have carpet near the tank but the wood flooring extends 2 inches past my bar lip. So I am confident with a fish room there will be minimal chances of spills occurring around the display.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, removable bar? I want to hear more.

Essentially made slots in the the framing in order to attach a bar lip once the tank is set. The bar lip has mating mating features to interlock onto the frame. The tank is already 48" wide plus another foot for bar lip. Without it being removable there is now way I Can fit it through any homes doors.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 22 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back