So confused with spectrum

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what the dude at my reef shop said. I was like.........whhaaattt....he was like some nems and inverts need a lighting storm/thunderstorms to induce breeding. I havnt done to much research on it.
Ill look into it.

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what the dude at my reef shop said. I was like.........whhaaattt....he was like some nems and inverts need a lighting storm/thunderstorms to induce breeding. I havnt done to much research on it.
Hahaha crazy! So you have lightning weather forcast on your setup?
What settings do you use for day& how many hours you running peak?
I have mine on 6 hours peak, with settings: r-20 g-20 b-100 w-30

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm.....there are critters (corals a well known example) that synchronize their sex-rhythms according to the moon-cycle.....convenient! The orbits supposedly model moon cycles too, so mabe they were right, but confused? Or maybe there's also a connection with lighting and storms! It's a big ocean!!!

OP
OP
Babygecko1233

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah they have a lunar moon setting and a regular night setting. A dusk and dawn setting . full control over spectrum. Still figuring out what my tank likes light wise. So no real specifics yet. Just day time 6am-6pm then sunset setting from 6pm-8pm then from there regular night that eventually shuts off completely before starting all over.

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, 12 hours daytime? & Since they're the IC, 1.5 of that is ramp up to sunrise, so a total of 10.5 @ peak.
I think we may have found a contributor to the diatoms ;)

I'm running mine on @ 830, then sun starts 1.5 hour later, so 10a, then sunset begins 4pm, and moonlight kicks on @ 5:30 until 11:30
Try out the light setting I'm using, you might enjoy that spectrum =). Keeps whites limited to eliminate nuisance algae, and so far everywhere I read / heard saying photosynthesis only needs 4x hours, so I do 6 just to add in a little more =)

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have a lightning function as it was requested be we strongly advise against it...Seriously it totally freaks out the fish and in several known cases have caused them to jump out of the tank...

If you want to induce spawning a true seasonal sunrise and sunset along with a real moonphase with variable intensity...

As tutmatt3 says photosynthesis in plants is for part of the day 7-4 hours depending on species...I like a truly natural sunrise and sunset as its always best to recreate the natural environment in our home reef ecosystems...

I'm running the Sirius XTC in front and DIY in the back of my 330 Gal SPS...I've noticed a bit of diatoms in the front which has the Red Spectrum dialed up for looks... Given a complete cycle 18 months... I'm planning on adding more inverts to sift and disrupt...If this does not work a simple dial down of the >550 spectrum should work...Reds add a little to looks but do also promote shallow algae and diatoms.

Bill

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back