So I bought a used apex….

Meanmrmustard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these probes salvageable and if so what’s the best way to clean them?
56A3ED4E-530F-445E-BB6B-6EB76221E249.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These except temp probe likely shot and will NOT be cheap. You wanted them shipped to you Wet. The salinity and ph has a photosynthetic eye/sensor and will not be accurate if even cleaned

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so, also probes shouldn’t be allowed to dry out.
I use GHL so there is a chance these will work, but wow how did all that crud end up on them.

Picture of my probe after 5 years:
1707782279310.jpeg

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang!
Expensive replacement.
I bought a tank off a guy who had gone all in on the hobby & given up almost as fast.
He tried selling me a load of equipment(including probes!) That was even crustier than that e.g fleece roller with old fleece attached etc.
Why don't people clean stuff up before storing/selling?!:anxious-face-with-sweat:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, I guess you live and you learn. Sounds like I am better off buying a new apex
The good news is you don’t need the orp or salinity probes. Ph and temp will get you by just fine. Can add others later if you want. The Apex will work without orp and salinity probes.

OP
OP
Meanmrmustard

Meanmrmustard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I can get some time I’m going to take a picture off all the apex stuff I got and hopefully every one can help me go down the correct path the time

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I can get some time I’m going to take a picture off all the apex stuff I got and hopefully every one can help me go down the correct path the time
I maybe wrong as im on my first apex. but i think I saw a BRS video that mentions leaving a dried out PH probe is 4.0 ph fluid overnight. maybe give it a try? you can use citric acid to clean the probes first. not sure if that will cause any issues.

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! Those are crusty! Per Apex pH probe Directions for Use, you could try soaking in 0.1 N Hydrochloric Acid for 8 to 10 hours. Or, if that doesn't work, dipping them into 2% Hydrofloric Acid for 5 to 10 seconds.

20240221_213652.jpg
For your safety, I'd stay far away from hydrofluoric acid (HF). Honestly I'm shocked they recommend it. It's one of the most toxic acids (doesn't just burn you, but attacks your calcium channels), and worst of all, you often don't feel the burn starting it until hours after you've gotten it on yourself -which is mostly too late to do anything about it.

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your safety, I'd stay far away from hydrofluoric acid (HF). Honestly I'm shocked they recommend it. It's one of the most toxic acids (doesn't just burn you, but attacks your calcium channels), and worst of all, you often don't feel the burn starting it until hours after you've gotten it on yourself -which is mostly too late to do anything about it.
To put some numbers behind that, covering 10% of your body with 2% HF is likely fatal without immediate treatment. That's within the range of accidentally spilling the container on yourself. https://ehs.princeton.edu/book/export/html/197

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No Acids !!! This is the stuff I use :

General Purpose Cleaning Solution (230 mL)

General Purpose Cleaning Solution (230 mL)

HI7061M

General Purpose Cleaning Solution (230 mL)​

4.0 star rating5 Reviews

$16.00

Qty:

ADD TO CART
HI7061M is a general purpose cleaning solution that can be used for a variety of applications. Electrodes can become dirty from use and will produce inaccurate results even as they read correctly in a pH buffer. Hanna's cleaning solutions eliminate impurities and residues that are left on electrode surfaces when immersed in samples during measurement or when stored incorrectly. Hanna suggests cleaning the bulb and junction of your electrode on a regular basis to ensure that the probe is always clean and to prevent any clogging of the junction.
  • Specially formulated for cleaning electrodes
  • Air tight seal to ensure quality

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back