So I ordered some dinoflagellates today...

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my brother-in-law bought me one of these...

The Mushlume UFO™ is a solar-powered showpiece for one of the world’s most extraordinary phenomena: bioluminescence. This living art aquarium is an interactive galaxy of sea life that glows cosmically blue when swirled at night.

• Hold one of nature's most magical occurrences in your hand
  • Powered by sunlight, water, and simple nutrients
  • The glow comes from microscopic sea life called Dinoflagellates

I though it was interesting until I hit the four-letter word, Dinoflagellates. I spent months trying to kill these things in my tank, and someone thinks it would be cool to buy me some? :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Mushlume UFO™ is a solar-powered showpiece for one of the world’s most extraordinary phenomena: bioluminescence. This living art aquarium is an interactive galaxy of sea life that glows cosmically blue when swirled at night.

• Powered by sunlight, water, and simple nutrients
  • The glow comes from microscopic sea life called Dinoflagellates

I though it was interesting until I hit the four-letter word, Dinoflagellates. I spent months trying to kill these things in my tank, and someone thinks it would be cool to buy me some? :)
Wow …

i think it’s pretty cool .

I remember something mixing household chemicals to make glow in the dark liquid .
it might have contained peroxide and something else ?

OP
OP
J

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it looks interesting and I know my daughter will love it. Only downside is the feeding requirement. They recommend you take a 1/3 of the water out very 2-3 weeks and replace it with "VitaminSea" that they sell for $15 plus shipping.

VitaminSea Ingredients

"Purified Pacific Ocean water with a proprietary blend of vitamins and minerals. pH adjusted for Urbz® bioluminescent dinoflagellates."

Sounds like mine are going to be feed display tank water.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - these dinos (Pyrocystis fusiformis) are coldwater and non-toxic (people have legitimately drunk the stuff before, though it’s not recommended). People add these to their tanks on occasion, but they typically only last a couple of weeks (slowed growth at the higher temp, and removal via filtration, skimmers, etc.).

They’re pretty neat, and kids will definitely love them.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - these dinos (Pyrocystis fusiformis) are coldwater and non-toxic (people have legitimately drunk the stuff before, though it’s not recommended). People add these to their tanks on occasion, but they typically only last a couple of weeks (slowed growth at the higher temp, and removal via filtration, skimmers, etc.).

They’re pretty neat, and kids will definitely love them.
Wait…. You could add them to your tank. Have fun for a couple weeks, and then their gone!!!! that’s too much fun, think I’m going to have to do this

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait…. You could add them to your tank. Have fun for a couple weeks, and then their gone!!!! that’s too much fun, think I’m going to have to do this
Just added a bunch of corals don't want to upset any apple carts etc lol. Probably freak out the fish too!

OP
OP
J

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, I was wondering about that. I have a QT tank rolling in the basement. I would consider trying them in there if I wasn't receiving coral today.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, I was wondering about that. I have a QT tank rolling in the basement. I would consider trying them in there if I wasn't receiving coral today.
Great idea I have a qt empty rn….. thinking I should try
I think the fish will be just fine lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, P. fusiformis is technically a phytoplankton (it’s a huge one at sizes up to 1 mm versus things like Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis at 5-15 microns, but it’s still photosynthetic and produces oxygen), so it shouldn’t really harm anything. In fact, fish, copepods, and the like will probably eat it. A note for anyone looking to grow it, it likes high nutrients (nitrate, phosphate, and carbon).

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered about this stuff before. I've read a paper where it increased feeding response in fish. Glowing brine shrimp sounded cool.

See if I can find that paper again after work.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't find the exact one that was on increased feeding and survival of fry, but this one (used bioluminesence bacterium) with increased feeding response in nocturnal fish..

"The promoted glow in Artemia dramatically affected its risk of being preyed on by the nocturnal fish Apogon annularis in a recirculating laboratory flume in the dark. Almost all the glowing Artemia offered to the fish were consumed readily (Fig. 3 and Movie S1), compared with rare occasions of predation on nonglowing specimens."

And found a youtube of glowing brine.

s2minute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0