So we may be moving. Need some advice and folks to calm the reef tank moving nerves

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife received a heck of an opportunity that I'm not sure we can pass up. She has to respond by Friday for acceptance of the position.

While I'm extremely excited for her, I'm one that doesn't like change. It took some convincing to move to our current location 6 years ago. So I am filled with a mixture of emotions.

1. How many of you are in the Maryland/DC area? What is it like? Extracurricular activities (outside of reefing, believe it or not)? Schools?

2. How the heck do I move my established 210g system. I moved my 75g system on my own, this is a different beast.

3. Is it normal to feel guilting moving my son further away from my parents? We are 7.5 hrs now and will be ~12 hours. Not horrible, but I watched how it tore them up when my sister moved (albeit, she moved to north Maine, a bit different lol)

Please calm my nerves

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) tons of stuff to do. Good food music museums….,,

2) that’s gonna be hard

3) support your wife. it will be fine with the parents. Buy them airline tickets at Christmas and thanksgiving.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife received a heck of an opportunity that I'm not sure we can pass up. She has to respond by Friday for acceptance of the position.

While I'm extremely excited for her, I'm one that doesn't like change. It took some convincing to move to our current location 6 years ago. So I am filled with a mixture of emotions.

1. How many of you are in the Maryland/DC area? What is it like? Extracurricular activities (outside of reefing, believe it or not)? Schools?

2. How the heck do I move my established 210g system. I moved my 75g system on my own, this is a different beast.

3. Is it normal to feel guilting moving my son further away from my parents? We are 7.5 hrs now and will be ~12 hours. Not horrible, but I watched how it tore them up when my sister moved (albeit, she moved to north Maine, a bit different lol)

Please calm my nerves
guess is that the main worry is the parents. And - yes it could cause a problem in the future - but you're dealing in today - and no offense your parents fall one slight level below your wife on this topic IMHO

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And even more, my bother is in Albany, NY. So it'll be closer to all of us.

This is exciting but so nerve wracking haha

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess is that the main worry is the parents. And - yes it could cause a problem in the future - but you're dealing in today - and no offense your parents fall one slight level below your wife on this topic IMHO
Yea I wouldn't say no for the parents. Just more of dreading the conversation even though it's an exciting opportunity

MR294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of stuff to do in the DC Metro area (food, music, museums, outdoor activities), and we have a great marine aquarium society to meet other reefers. Can't speak to MD and DC, but there are some great school districts in northern VA.

Moving an established 210g on your own isn't going to be easy, but it's definitely not impossible with some prep work and some helping hands on either end. If you can get some holding bins for livestock up and running at the new place, that can certainly simplify things, but I understand that's not always possible, particularly if the distance you're moving makes multiple back-and-forth trips impractical.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upgrade to a 300g. set it up then just bring the fish, sell the tank or maybe keep it running to see if the new potential buyers would like the tank with the house (they just need to add fish?).
This was my thinking also. Rehome the fish, sell the corals, break down the tank but save your rock then you won't stress over the move. Start fresh with seasoned rock in your new home. Add some real live ocean rock and turbo charge your biome.

I told my wife my next move is to rose hills mortuary. I hate moving.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please calm my nerves
Where are you moving from now, and how long will the drive be?

1) I grew up outside of DC on the Virginia side until I was 21 or so, and then moved away….. best decision I ever made.
That place is a hell hole IMO, and it’s only gotten worse. Every time I’m back in the area it makes me happy I left.
The DMV area is the worst traffic in the country, by far worse than LA (I’ve driven both) and it’s normal to spend multiple hours every day in traffic. I once spent 2 hours to go 2 blocks and there wasn’t even anything special going on.

ALOT of the people in the area are shallow and fake and backstabbing because everyone’s looking to get a leg up on their competition in whatever govt or contacting company they work for. Just scummy vibes all around from my experiences.

As for moving the tanks it’s not that bad.
I moved a buddy
A 75g from Queens NYC to Richmond with zero casualties.
My suggestions for moving is to get a power inverter that connects to the cigaret outlet or wherever in the car so you can plug in a small heater and power head in the tubs with the fish and coral and then you’re good to drive 8 hours and get them into a tank.

Edit: just realized that it’s a 210 getting moved now, somehow slipped that sentence…
It’s either multiple people with tubs filling a few SUVS or getting like a cargo van rented. With that you’ve got a lot more space and you could keep the interior space air conditioned still and have access to power for power heads and air stones to keep water and oxygen going.

Last edited:

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thinking also. Rehome the fish, sell the corals, break down the tank but save your rock then you won't stress over the move. Start fresh with seasoned rock in your new home. Add some real live ocean rock and turbo charge your biome.

I told my wife my next move is to rose hills mortuary. I hate moving.
yeah...dream job, dream tank..2 birds right there!

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please calm my nerves
it will be a challenge to move that 210g system, you can try and put all livestock in buckets with air stones, and keep near you, empty 90% of tank and wrap and secure tank extremely well, if it is overwhelming and too much you might want to donate the livestock and start all over again with less stress at another time. You and your family will really enjoy Inner Harbor, not far.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you moving from now, and how long will the drive be?

1) I grew up outside of DC on the Virginia side until I was 21 or so, and then moved away….. best decision I ever made.
That place is a hell hole IMO, and it’s only gotten worse. Every time I’m back in the area it makes me happy I left.
The DMV area is the worst traffic in the country, by far worse than LA (I’ve driven both) and it’s normal to spend multiple hours every day in traffic. I once spent 2 hours to go 2 blocks and there wasn’t even anything special going on.

ALOT of the people in the area are shallow and fake and backstabbing because everyone’s looking to get a leg up on their competition in whatever govt or contacting company they work for. Just scummy vibes all around from my experiences.

As for moving the tanks it’s not that bad.
I moved a buddy
A 75g from Queens NYC to Richmond with zero casualties.
My suggestions for moving is to get a power inverter that connects to the cigaret outlet or wherever in the car so you can plug in a small heater and power head in the tubs with the fish and coral and then you’re good to drive 8 hours and get them into a tank.
Well that's a ray of sunshine post eclipse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back