Sodium Tripolyphosphate in seafood for DIY food

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of gathering ingredients to make my own frozen feed but I’m at a stumbling block and have hit the brakes. I do not have access to fresh off the boat I seafood and can only get stuff from local grocers. A lot of the seafood is preserved in Sodium Tripolyphosphate and I’m wondering how much of an impact this will have to phosphate levels (and inhabitants health) if used and fed?

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of gathering ingredients to make my own frozen feed but I’m at a stumbling block and have hit the brakes. I do not have access to fresh off the boat I seafood and can only get stuff from local grocers. A lot of the seafood is preserved in Sodium Tripolyphosphate and I’m wondering how much of an impact this will have to phosphate levels (and inhabitants health) if used and fed?
Mmmm salty meat tenderizer. My favorite.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmmm salty meat tenderizer. My favorite.
Yeah….almost seems unavoidable. Local Asian Market opens back up tomorrow and I’m going to check there to see what they have but I feel like I’m not going to be able to get away from the Tripolyphosphate.

Upvote 0

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah….almost seems unavoidable. Local Asian Market opens back up tomorrow and I’m going to check there to see what they have but I feel like I’m not going to be able to get away from the Tripolyphosphate.
I actually have a bag of it in my pantry. I really do use it. I'm disgusting I know. But it's so awesome for smoked meats.

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a safe polyphosphate that does break down into orthophosphate. A very small amount can go a long way in a tank. It can take about 3 days for the polyphosphate to break down into a form of po4 that you can measure. I would avoid it, but if it gets into the tank, it is not dangerous as long as the po4 levels do not spike.

Upvote 0

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trader joes seafood blend
Shrimp calamari scallops
No preservatives
My butterflies love it
3C0DC679-D3B7-449F-913A-93C774267D5A.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, I know not what was asked but good quality pellets do work.
I use the following:
1709785623689.jpeg

And it has very few things inside:
1709785657700.png

Works well, fish look nice:
1709785803590.jpeg

1709786340205.jpeg

1709786083462.jpeg

I tried frozen home made and honestly the fish did not look as healthy or colourful and I always had water quality issues.

With these pellets I feed 4 times a day and there is no aggression between the fish. With frozen there was always aggression.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, I know not what was asked but good quality pellets do work.
I use the following:
1709785623689.jpeg

And it has very few things inside:
1709785657700.png

Works well, fish look nice:
1709785803590.jpeg

1709786340205.jpeg

1709786083462.jpeg

I tried frozen home made and honestly the fish did not look as healthy or colourful and I always had water quality issues.

With these pellets I feed 4 times a day and there is no aggression between the fish. With frozen there was always aggression.
I feed Nyos Wild Goji pellets and most of my fish crush them. But pellets are only only going to go so far and are not ideal as a staple, single diet. Nutritional variety is key to helping to ensure our fish get everything they need which is why frozen foods are generally best…the ingredient diversity far outweighs what goes into pellet/flake foods (I’m even adding pellets to my frozen mix).

Upvote 0

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frozen foods are generally best
I do believe that is opinion repeated on R2R.

If there is scholarly article that states frozen food is the best I would like to read it.

As I mentioned, I tried it Nory, frozen home made and LRS/ Hikari. I been on that bandwagon and the results I observed in my reef box did not impress. Fish were thin, aggressive and the colour was not there. Water quality suffered etc… It did not work out for me.

Not all pellets are created equal, I did quite bit of searching/reading.

The ones I show have almost no filler and contain whole fish, not just fish byproducts. Lot of protein and fat. I suspect they provide lot of nutrients in a small package.
With frozen I suspect I would have to feed 4x as much as I fed before.

Before I had issue with my Tomini tang getting bloated every 3-4 months. With the FM pellets I have not seen it in 2 years and the aggression is all gone. Even the coral nibbling has declined.

Nothing against frozen, if it works don’t change.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe that is opinion repeated on R2R.

If there is scholarly article that states frozen food is the best I would like to read it.

As I mentioned, I tried it Nory, frozen home made and LRS/ Hikari. I been on that bandwagon and the results I observed in my reef box did not impress. Fish were thin, aggressive and the colour was not there. Water quality suffered etc… It did not work out for me.

Not all pellets are created equal, I did quite bit of searching/reading.

The ones I show have almost no filler and contain whole fish, not just fish byproducts. Lot of protein and fat. I suspect they provide lot of nutrients in a small package.
With frozen I suspect I would have to feed 4x as much as I fed before.

Before I had issue with my Tomini tang getting bloated every 3-4 months. With the FM pellets I have not seen it in 2 years and the aggression is all gone. Even the coral nibbling has declined.

Nothing against frozen, if it works don’t change.
I’ve been seeing the exact opposite by feeding frozen (Rod’s, LRS, occasional Hikari cubes) and all of my fish have excellent color, fat reserves, etc. A properly mixed frozen diet that has multiple beneficial ingredients is, again, key here. Mincing up just proteins from shrimp, fish, squid, etc isn’t enough…astaxanthin, spirulina for color, lipids, omega acids, etc etc is where the true nutritional value comes into play. To each his own, though…whatever works for you keep doing it.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been seeing the exact opposite by feeding frozen (Rod’s, LRS, occasional Hikari cubes) and all of my fish have excellent color, fat reserves, etc. A properly mixed frozen diet that has multiple beneficial ingredients is, again, key here. Mincing up just proteins from shrimp, fish, squid, etc isn’t enough…astaxanthin, spirulina for color, lipids, omega acids, etc etc is where the true nutritional value comes into play. To each his own, though…whatever works for you keep doing it.

I don't disagree with the sentiment that organisms may need many things in their diets, but the fish/shrimp/squid you denigrate are a good source of several of the items you list then as lacking: lipids, and omega unsaturated fatty acids, for example. They are not just protein.

Many marine fish in the ocean ONLY eat meaty foods, rather than plankton. To suggest they would be unhealthy doing so seems unwarranted, IMO.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree with the sentiment that organisms may need many things in their diets, but the fish/shrimp/squid you denigrate are a good source of several of the items you list then as lacking: lipids, and omega unsaturated fatty acids, for example. They are not just protein.

Many marine fish in the ocean ONLY eat meaty foods, rather than plankton. To suggest they would be unhealthy doing so seems unwarranted, IMO.
i should have clarified. In the ocean, fish are eating whole, raw foods that aren’t being cut up, de-gutted and processed by us. By fortifying the foods we prepare for them helps ensure they are getting everything they need as a lot of nutritional value is lost during the processing, de-gutting, etc.
My post seems to have derailed from the original point, however. What are your thoughts on the Sodium Tripolyphosphates used in frozen food and what impacts does it have on our aquariums when fed to our animals?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on the Sodium Tripolyphosphates used in frozen food and what impacts does it have on our aquariums when fed to our animals?

I personally would not worry about it. I'd avoid it if possible, and if not, proceed as if it wasn't there unless folks believe they have an actual probem from elevated phosphate. It will break down in the tank to orthophosphate or be bound to suyrfaces and taken out of action. I expect it binds more strongly than orthophosphate to surfaces such as calcium carbonate, GFO, and aluminum oxide.

When I've bought frozen seafood, I have sometimes found packages not mentioning it.

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if there is an Asian Market near you. Many of the restaurant supply stores will give you a day pass where you can buy more fresh things than at the grocery store - you might have to buy in bulk, but check it out.

IMO, worrying about consuming the whole critter is not as paramount nowadays since Mysis are in the market - which are whole shrimp. Also, the pacific plankton which are also whole shrimp (not krill, but they look similar). These don't work too well on one-bite predators like lionfish and eels and stuff, but whole cuttlefish can be had at most asian markets.

Places that supply zoos and large aquariums like Brine Shrimp Direct sell kilos of mysis and other things if this fits your needs more.

Edit: good dry foods use whole fish meal and not just the fillets. I feed mostly new life spectrum and my fish are long lived, colorful, not aggressive and the ones that have both juvenile and adult colors look as good as adults as ocean caught fish.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back