Sodium Tripolyphosphate in seafood for DIY food

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of gathering ingredients to make my own frozen feed but I’m at a stumbling block and have hit the brakes. I do not have access to fresh off the boat I seafood and can only get stuff from local grocers. A lot of the seafood is preserved in Sodium Tripolyphosphate and I’m wondering how much of an impact this will have to phosphate levels (and inhabitants health) if used and fed?

OP
OP
N

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if there is an Asian Market near you. Many of the restaurant supply stores will give you a day pass where you can buy more fresh things than at the grocery store - you might have to buy in bulk, but check it out.

IMO, worrying about consuming the whole critter is not as paramount nowadays since Mysis are in the market - which are whole shrimp. Also, the pacific plankton which are also whole shrimp (not krill, but they look similar). These don't work too well on one-bite predators like lionfish and eels and stuff, but whole cuttlefish can be had at most asian markets.

Places that supply zoos and large aquariums like Brine Shrimp Direct sell kilos of mysis and other things if this fits your needs more.

Edit: good dry foods use whole fish meal and not just the fillets. I feed mostly new life spectrum and my fish are long lived, colorful, not aggressive and the ones that have both juvenile and adult colors look as good as adults as ocean caught fish.
There is an Asian Market locally and I was able to buy whole frozen squid but they didn’t have anything else in the way of what I need.
I’m not dissing pellets at all…I supplement feed with Nyos Wild Goji and my fish absolutely crush them…even the Anthias. I just want to make a frozen mix to save money vs buying packaged stuff like LRS or Rod’s.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back