OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does this cover all the bases for a first attempt? This is what I had on hand and just acquired the Zeozym. I haven't read this entire thread but did watch some of the videos. If I wanted to make 2 feedings worth would I use the dose recommended on the bottles for my tank volume x 2 let it cook?
Thanks in advance.
-Paul
20240309_154923.jpg
That should be good to get going, you can mix it and let it sit for a few hours then dose half each time.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be right. Don't forget some amino acids like reef energy, aquavitro fuel, or brightwell restor. Also some calcium carbonate probably helps to deliver the bacteria more easily? 300-500ml of new saltwater should do it along with the recommended daily dose of each product to your tank volume.

Let us know if you experience improvements to that sandbed :oops:
yeah, sandbed is a mess and hard to get to when covered in corals. I've got some reef energy I could add but wasn't sure if the ZEOFOOD was enough for aminos. How long is a reasonable time to let it mix?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, sandbed is a mess and hard to get to when covered in corals. I've got some reef energy I could add but wasn't sure if the ZEOFOOD was enough for aminos. How long is a reasonable time to let it mix?
Zeofood should be good. Sorry I wasnt familiar with it. 6 to 8 hours bubbling should be enough.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My mixture goes from brown to grey the following morning. It’s on a stir plate with airline and air stone in the beaker. Any concern I should have?

-zeozym, fuel, vodka, amino acids, min s, rebiotic.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zeofood should be fine, it is a vitamin and carbon source.

My mixture goes from brown to grey the following morning. It’s on a stir plate with airline and air stone in the beaker. Any concern I should have?

-zeozym, fuel, vodka, amino acids, min s, rebiotic.
What is the ratio of ingredients used?
The main cues that something has gone awry are foul smells and culture density. If it smells bad, restart. Another way to avoid this issue is to use within a shorter time frame. I typically recommend to use a batch within 5 days of creation. Alongside refrigeration of the culture.

Wow, great photos! Did you use an orange filter or something? Mine always looked kinda blue-ish
Nope, no filters were used

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought I would share my experience.

Earlier this year I went out of the country for a month and stopped dosing my concoction while maintaining typical husbandry. This led to the classical symptoms of malnourishment in some sps (pale coloration, burnt tips, slowed growth, etc).
This also led to a slight cyano bloom. Since I’ve gotten back, I’ve been dosing my concoction daily. Here are the impacts on cyano.

Feb 15
5D3D00B5-8CB4-4539-9ABD-18986E7E096F.jpeg

E467A4D5-B76D-43C4-80F7-E8AC8976E118.jpeg

I’ve changed nothing about husbandry, and still kept 10% water changes throughout. I made sure not to disturb the cyano throughout this entire process. Just wanted to share and see if people have had similar experience.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would share my experience.

Earlier this year I went out of the country for a month and stopped dosing my concoction while maintaining typical husbandry. This led to the classical symptoms of malnourishment in some sps (pale coloration, burnt tips, slowed growth, etc).
This also led to a slight cyano bloom. Since I’ve gotten back, I’ve been dosing my concoction daily. Here are the impacts on cyano.

Feb 15
5D3D00B5-8CB4-4539-9ABD-18986E7E096F.jpeg

E467A4D5-B76D-43C4-80F7-E8AC8976E118.jpeg

I’ve changed nothing about husbandry, and still kept 10% water changes throughout. I made sure not to disturb the cyano throughout this entire process. Just wanted to share and see if people have had similar experience.
I haven’t ran into cyano with my current tank and going on a year now! I do use diy coral snow for my concoction and I also run zeolites in a reactor… if that’s what’s stopping it idk? lol

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t ran into cyano with my current tank and going on a year now! I do use diy coral snow for my concoction and I also run zeolites in a reactor… if that’s what’s stopping it idk? lol
Before using the concoction, I'd get a flare up maybe once or twice a year when the seasons change. But my other systems have stayed cyano free, my none treated anemone system however does have cyano.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before using the concoction, I'd get a flare up maybe once or twice a year when the seasons change. But my other systems have stayed cyano free, my none treated anemone system however does have cyano.
I used to get them here or there like you said when I dosed vodka and mb7… I switched over to bactobalance on a suggestion from Sunny x and it’s been good so far.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue what that is, and no need to over complicate
Agreed! It’s as simple as sunny x mix which is just coral snow, zeo back, and coral amino soak for 5 min and get great results.. I threw more stuff in the mix cause my phosphates always bottom out hence the reef roids and zeozym cause I had it!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back