500mL microwaved rodi
18g RSCP
Magnetic stirred
2 capfuls of microbacter7
3/4tsp reef roids
2 Capfuls Aquavitro fuel
4g Calcium Carbonate
Magnetic stirrer, removed and then gently Aerated with an airpump

Didn't notice much from that one acro did throw out misentrials, LPS seemed to open up. Did that for a week.

This week:
500mL microwaved rodi
18g RSCP
Magnetic stirred
1 vial biodigest
3/4tsp reef roids
3 Drops AF NP Pro
4g Calcium Carbonate
Magnetic stirred, removed and then gently Aerated with an airpump.
Snagged a seedling heating pad and running that about 87F.

Same results as the first concotion so far.

I got down to about 150mL and redid everything above except for the bacteria in hopes more food and enzyme would keep the culture going. It didnt smell rancid but it definitely started getting an odor.

I also started dosing ammonium bicarbonate a few weeks back.

I'm interested to see what the results are, monitoring alk and pH to determine if I'm doing too much or if there appears to be a change. Visually for growth/colors.

This stuff feels like the wild wild west though. Until now everything has been so scienced, carefully calculated and measured.

When I open the cabinet under the tank, part of me feels like I'm in Appalachia sneaking into a cabin cooking moonshine. What I am absolutely confident in, is there's no way that my method nor environment is sterile enough for this.

Sometimes ya just gota get after it.

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have continued to make daily additions of 25ml per 100L. The reaction has improved but it’s still not a large reaction and certainly not universal among the Acros.

What I do notice is the reaction improves as the maturity of the solution increases, I mix up about 4/5 days worth and day 4 is the biggest reaction. I don’t heat it, so it’s only at room temperature so probably about 16/18c currently.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What an awesome acro! Just look at that contrast!

Grafted TGC Boogeyman

_DSC9482-2.JPG

_DSC9484-2.JPG

_DSC9486.JPG

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only getting about 3 days shelf life before some stank sets in. I do about 500mL RODI. By the last 100mL she's pungent. Do you guys kill the heat, add more enzyme/food? I'm wondering if the odor is from die off from lack of food.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only getting about 3 days shelf life before some stank sets in. I do about 500mL RODI. By the last 100mL she's pungent. Do you guys kill the heat, add more enzyme/food? I'm wondering if the odor is from die off from lack of food.
I would keep mine in the fridge. It would last at least 4 to 5 days.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep mine in the fridge. It would last at least 4 to 5 days.
Yeah I had a discussion with another Reefer using the concotion last night. That was my missing link. I was aerating/bubbling all the way through lol. I knew something wasn't right with how inefficient this feeding was haha. Tanks still responding very positively to ammonium and "the concotion".

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I had a discussion with another Reefer using the concotion last night. That was my missing link. I was aerating/bubbling all the way through lol. I knew something wasn't right with how inefficient this feeding was haha. Tanks still responding very positively to ammonium and "the concotion".
That's awesome to hear that you're having success with this method!

It sounds like you're using V2 of my concoction which utilizes the aeration. This method doesn't last for long without constant maintenance of the culture. Refrigeration really helps if you plan to use V1 or V2 of the concoction over multiple days. After doing this for a while, things became quite tedious and I felt the need to further innovate on the concept.

That's why I created V3 of my concoction which is a shelf stable paste. V3 covers the pitfalls of the other iterations and has really helped me streamline my tank husbandry and storage space. From my own experience and those who have received my homemade blend, the corals love it!

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome to hear that you're having success with this method!

It sounds like you're using V2 of my concoction which utilizes the aeration. This method doesn't last for long without constant maintenance of the culture. Refrigeration really helps if you plan to use V1 or V2 of the concoction over multiple days. After doing this for a while, things became quite tedious and I felt the need to further innovate on the concept.

That's why I created V3 of my concoction which is a shelf stable paste. V3 covers the pitfalls of the other iterations and has really helped me streamline my tank husbandry and storage space. From my own experience and those who have received my homemade blend, the corals love it!
What I find most interesting from a measurable perspective, is that I use about a tsp of reef roids per batch.

If I was to dose a tsp of just roids over 3 days in the past my po4 would go through the roof w/ bubble algae outbreak. My po4 has remained relatively stable. I'm doing about .5mL/gallon 1-2x per day.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is the best PE my tank has ever had.
1000033969.jpg

I'd be interested to know cost and quantity of feedings of your v3 product when you're ready to release it.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@coral reeftank

Do you still mix calcium carbonate with some tank water with v3?

Also do you leave the pumps and wavemakers on or do you turn them off for a while after dosing?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@coral reeftank

Do you still mix calcium carbonate with some tank water with v3?
You can if you'd like, it is already an ingredient in V3.
Also do you leave the pumps and wavemakers on or do you turn them off for a while after dosing?
circulation remains on for broadcast feeding and off for spot feeding.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you'd like, it is already an ingredient in V3.

circulation remains on for broadcast feeding and off for spot feeding.
keep return on for broadcast feedings or leave return off for 10-20 min with wavemakers on? I assume turn return off for a bit so don't loose everything down overflow and give chance for things to fully mix around

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
keep return on for broadcast feedings or leave return off for 10-20 min with wavemakers on? I assume turn return off for a bit so don't loose everything down overflow and give chance for things to fully mix around
Up to you, I pour the concoction into my return pumps so that it can circulate throughout my tank. Ideally, if you are broadcasting, you want the flow to carry the particulates to all the corals. I believe the concoction lingers in the water column for a long time, as I sometimes see corals releasing mesenterial filaments and feeder tentacles hours after I have fed.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Can you fill me in on the exact V3 formula. My tank is very stable (99% Acro’s), and will be a good candidate to try this concoction. I do not feed a lot, but do carbon dose, supplement amino acids, and vitamins. I want to see if I can appreciate similar results to what you’re getting. :) Seeing faster growth will be exciting!

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some progress, this is the 1 month tissue growth of a wild holy grail torch. When I received this piece in March it was in relatively poor health with minimal flesh band. It originally had 2 polyps, but one polyp jellied up in shipping. Luckily the remaining polyp recovered nicely.

Here it is on April 8th, from this date onward I fed the concoction to this torch at least 3x a week.
D895FE59-391F-4C64-BA48-BCADD0EC3BD5.jpeg

Here is the same torch today May 11th, it’s starting to pinch and form two heads now!
3E12DD91-6833-4705-AFE3-8795E9AB374D.jpeg

So what are the impressions on this growth rate? What is the typical one month flesh progression like for other people?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 1 month that is super impressive improvement on the flesh. I was losing torch corals almost monthly. Since starting the concoction I have not lost any. If anything the flesh appears to be improving on all my torch corals also. Mind you, I tried all the recommended antibiotic treatments and they would still get sick and die.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some progress, this is the 1 month tissue growth of a wild holy grail torch. When I received this piece in March it was in relatively poor health with minimal flesh band. It originally had 2 polyps, but one polyp jellied up in shipping. Luckily the remaining polyp recovered nicely.

Here it is on April 8th, from this date onward I fed the concoction to this torch at least 3x a week.
D895FE59-391F-4C64-BA48-BCADD0EC3BD5.jpeg

Here is the same torch today May 11th, it’s starting to pinch and form two heads now!
3E12DD91-6833-4705-AFE3-8795E9AB374D.jpeg

So what are the impressions on this growth rate? What is the typical one month flesh progression like for other people?
Is this from direct feeding or from broadcast feedings?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back