Spirorbis - What will eat them?

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things aren't so bad, until everything is covered with them. Crabs don't touch them. Snails don't touch them, even humongous turbos slither over them and leave them behind. They don't seem to cause any ill-effects, only an eyesore.

What critter wants a spirorbis buffet? Come see me.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone just had some Vayssierea hitchhikers..... they'll eat them! I agree though, they're interesting when they're one or two..... then you turn around and...

This was my tank. Grrrrrrr.

spirorbis6me.jpg

OP
OP
twreefer

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone just had some Vayssierea hitchhikers..... they'll eat them! I agree though, they're interesting when they're one or two..... then you turn around and...

This was my tank. Grrrrrrr.

Exactly! And I didn't post a pic because I knew you would come through for me @Lionfish Lair!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.. no one has brought up the fact that they are filter feeders?
The question at hand is WHAT they are feeding off of that is introduced to the water column?
Scrape them down and limit their food source.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question at hand is WHAT they are feeding off of that is introduced to the water column?
My overfeeding. Lol I don't question it.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds easy, to limit their food, but it's honestly not. I'm not overfeeding. I don't even get algae on the glass in this tank, like ever. There's a single 3" fish in 300g of water. The water is pristine.... then you stick your hand down the overflow to pull out the pump..... yeow.

I'd be the first to say if there was something I should manually be doing.... but there's honestly not anything I can think of. I have 3 snails in there only, because there's nothing for them to eat.

OP
OP
twreefer

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are likely feeding off of the same thing fueling the growth on my substrate which I should probably send you a sample of for identification. ;)

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds easy, to limit their food, but it's honestly not. I'm not overfeeding. I don't even get algae on the glass in this tank, like ever. There's a single 3" fish in 300g of water. The water is pristine.... then you stick your hand down the overflow to pull out the pump..... yeow.

I'd be the first to say if there was something I should manually be doing.... but there's honestly not anything I can think of. I have 3 snails in there only, because there's nothing for them to eat.

This makes me feel less bad. I keep fish that thrive with multiple feedings a day. So I guess it's less of overfeeding then under filtering. In a way these are a natural filter for me. Just keep them off the front glass so I can see.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are likely feeding off of the same thing fueling the growth on my substrate which I should probably send you a sample of for identification. ;)
Haha that is classic!
I am always open to help people out :)

It's easy.. scrape them down and limit the source :)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me feel less bad. I keep fish that thrive with multiple feedings a day. So I guess it's less of overfeeding then under filtering. In a way these are a natural filter for me. Just keep them off the front glass so I can see.
What micron foods are you feeding?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Renee it's because you raise carnivores that will eat your finger off if they had a chance lol

Just saying hi ;)

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed bbs as a staple to the fish but to try to keep the pods reproducing and for my corals I will feed live phyto. Oyster eggs and roe ( not to micron though) coral frenzy and once a month give the tank live rotifers.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I see it now!
It's in the feeding :)
The phytoplankton can be as low as 1 to 20 microns

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back