Spirorbis - What will eat them?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're feeding them exactly what they love naiad!! It's not that you're feeding too much, you're just feeding the "right stuff".
You should have seen the feather dusters and spaghetti worms in the tank before I added the CBB. My tank had a nice food chain going. Unfortunately I found out that the fish were not at the top.

OP
OP
twreefer

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed BRS reef chili. I'm sure the spirorbis love it, but then so do the pods that feed my mandarin. Food chain ya know.

NewbieSeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose anything in my tank. It's actually fallow right now due to a dumb lack of QT and velvet breakout so it gets a few mysis target fed to BTA and a few corals but that's it. Yet lately those things are multiplying and so is a number of sponges and feather dusters. Can't figure out what they are eating!!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose anything in my tank. It's actually fallow right now due to a dumb lack of QT and velvet breakout so it gets a few mysis target fed to BTA and a few corals but that's it. Yet lately those things are multiplying and so is a number of sponges and feather dusters. Can't figure out what they are eating!!
My mantis tank has them too. It gets very little food. I think they can filter out the smallest of waste

NewbieSeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be. They were there before but since my fish came out they seem to be multiplying. Maybe my blenny kept them under control. He was constantly scraping the glass

NewbieSeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One cool thing about going fallow tho... There is sooo much life I never knew was in my tank! Never seen the pods out during the day but they are just cruising around with no worries! And there are beneficial flatworms, baby snails and baby stars all crawling around. Haven't seen any of these till the fish came out!

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me feel less bad. I keep fish that thrive with multiple feedings a day. So I guess it's less of overfeeding then under filtering. In a way these are a natural filter for me. Just keep them off the front glass so I can see.
Wonder if you could stuff them in a semipermeable membrane type of thing and pump water across them to act as a filter...
That would be pretty cool.

thomygirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it's the phytoplankton? I have these too and wondered where they were coming from. And I feed phytoplankton twice a week or so. What about zooplankton? Reefroids? Coral frenzy? I alternate those.

adinin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure my asterina starfish are doing a number on my spirorbis population... i have a pretty large build up of them in my filter section of my tank, and recently some of the starfish have found their way in. There are clear paths through the white buildup, ending in a starfish... no idea if they are actually eating them or just scraping them off the glass, but im not complaining either way.

Atif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes yes my tank is also full of this stuff.....

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get these real bad in my refugium, every now and then it's like there is sand or snow flying around the tank and they always seem to find there way to my refugium and cake the walls.

Rakkasan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed bbs as a staple to the fish but to try to keep the pods reproducing and for my corals I will feed live phyto. Oyster eggs and roe ( not to micron though) coral frenzy and once a month give the tank live rotifers.
What is the acronym CBB you used in the later post?

What is the acronym bbs for food?

Obviously a rookie here

Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back