sps burnt tip (dino?)

wstcpyt1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
several sps have burnt tip, am I dealing with dino?

water parameter (1 year old tank):
======================
nitrate:10
phosphate: 0.06
Alkalinity: 8.6
Calcium: 475
Magnesium: 1455
======================

what have changed recently:
About a month ago, both nitrate and phosphate in my tank is 0, i start to dose neonitrate and neophosphate as well as red sea AB+

Some of the effect coral (seems like the tissue is still OK, but the tip is covered with dino?):

3V6A2464.jpg

3V6A2473.jpg

3V6A2478.jpg

sand bed
3V6A2475.jpg

Some of the normal coral:

3V6A2430.jpg

3V6A2425.jpg

My ins:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like cyano than dino's to me. Anytime skeleton is exposed, you run the risk of algae or cyano forming on the exposed skeleton. What type of lighting are you using?

Changing your salinity from 38 ppm to 35 ppm would also affect your Alk and Calc. This could be caused by stress from too many changes happening too rapidly. SPS like stability and those look like fairly new frags. It may just take time for them to come back.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
several sps have burnt tip, am I dealing with dino?

water parameter (1 year old tank):
======================
======================

what have changed recently:
About a month ago, both nitrate and phosphate in my tank is 0, i start to dose neonitrate and neophosphate as well as red sea AB+

Some of the effect coral (seems like the tissue is still OK, but the tip is covered with dino?):

3V6A2464.jpg

3V6A2473.jpg

3V6A2478.jpg

sand bed
3V6A2475.jpg

Some of the normal coral:

3V6A2430.jpg

3V6A2425.jpg

My ins:
Does it blow off easily? I'm only seeing one effected coral in your pictures and to be honest it's not that bad. It will recover as long as you keep that stuff off of it.

How fast is it coming back after you blow it off?

OP
OP
wstcpyt1988

wstcpyt1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like cyano than dino's to me. Anytime skeleton is exposed, you run the risk of algae or cyano forming on the exposed skeleton. What type of lighting are you using?

Changing your salinity from 38 ppm to 35 ppm would also affect your Alk and Calc. This could be caused by stress from too many changes happening too rapidly. SPS like stability and those look like fairly new frags. It may just take time for them to come back.
initially this only happens on one frag, then it is start to spread. i also notice that all the "brown algae" on the sand disappear at night and come back during day time. does cyano has this behaviour?

OP
OP
wstcpyt1988

wstcpyt1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off easily? I'm only seeing one effected coral in your pictures and to be honest it's not that bad. It will recover as long as you keep that stuff off of it.

How fast is it coming back after you blow it off?
not very easy. it will come back within a day after blow them off.

OP
OP
wstcpyt1988

wstcpyt1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i am using radion xr30 g6 with AB+ schedule.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
initially this only happens on one frag, then it is start to spread. i also notice that all the "brown algae" on the sand disappear at night and come back during day time. does cyano has this behaviour?
No, not in my experience. That is dinos that do that. You will need a uv.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not very easy. it will come back within a day after blow them off.
Dinos will smother the coral so you will have to get that under control.
Sounds like osteoporosis. I never confirmed what I had but it did the same as yours.
I ran a uv at night, dosed hydrogen peroxide at night, microbactor7 in the morning, and rinsed my socks everyday.
Cleared it up in about 4 months. At the start I did a blackout for 3 days and ran the uv 24/7. That kinda gave me a jump start.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, cyano can behave like that. To be sure it is Dino’s, you need t look at it under a microscope. Once you do, compare it to the pictures on the Dino thread.

What you have shown so far doesn’t look like the snotty stringy Dino’s that I am familiar with.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am using radion xr30 g6 with AB+ schedule.
Have you measure the PAR in the tank?

How long did it take to make the changes you made?

What were your parameters before and after the changes?

What test kits are you using for your tests?

We need a lot more information than you have provided to give you good advice. Based on the info so far, I’d say that the tank hasn’t matured enough for SPS, and to give it time.

OP
OP
wstcpyt1988

wstcpyt1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have, here is the PAR distribution.
range from 250 - 330

Took about a month.

Before:
======================
nitrate:0
phosphate: 0
======================
After:
======================
======================

hanna for nitrate, phosphate, Alkalinity

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have, here is the PAR distribution.
range from 250 - 330

Took about a month.

Before:
======================
nitrate:0
phosphate: 0
======================
After:
======================
======================

hanna for nitrate, phosphate, Alkalinity
How did you keep Alk, CALC, and Mag exactly the same when you lowered your salinity from 38 to 35 ppt. It seems odd that those numbers didn’t change at all.

OP
OP
wstcpyt1988

wstcpyt1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you keep Alk, CALC, and Mag exactly the same when you lowered your salinity from 38 to 35 ppt. It seems odd that those numbers didn’t change at all.
i didn't measure the Calcium and Magnesium, but try to keep measure alkalinity every day. The range is always between 8.4 - 8.9.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't measure the Calcium and Magnesium, but try to keep measure alkalinity every day. The range is always between 8.4 - 8.9.
OK, well something is off then. If you didn't change anything in regards to Calc and Mag, and only measured Alk while lowering salinity, then your Alk, Calc, and Mag parameters should have changed and not stayed the same. It just isn''t possible to change salinity in your tank and do nothing else and keep those parameters the same.

There is more going on here, and without a lot more information, it will just be a guess on what to do. There are threads that talk about the information that should be provided to get good answers. I suggest you look at those and then update this thread to get meaningful answers. :)

OP
OP
wstcpyt1988

wstcpyt1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, well something is off then. If you didn't change anything in regards to Calc and Mag, and only measured Alk while lowering salinity, then your Alk, Calc, and Mag parameters should have changed and not stayed the same. It just isn''t possible to change salinity in your tank and do nothing else and keep those parameters the same.

There is more going on here, and without a lot more information, it will just be a guess on what to do. There are threads that talk about the information that should be provided to get good answers. I suggest you look at those and then update this thread to get meaningful answers. :)
Here is what i have done in the past few days
1. stop daily water changes
2. add reef enhance, live rock enhance daily
3. add phytoplankton
4. feeding more aggressively
Want to let beneficial bacterial and algae outrun dino.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched this video last night and they had some good points its done by a very experienced reefer.
Don't try too many things at once or you'll never know what caused the issue or fixed.

OP
OP
wstcpyt1988

wstcpyt1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on this. Now i have observed sps recovery from dino outbreak a month ago. Just to record the progress here. I just take two photo 1 month apart, but the condition become really bad around the start of the June, Almost all the tissue is lost around that time

3V6A2501.jpg

3V6A2536.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back