# SPS Color Increase Series. SPS nutrient salt range (2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last time I mentioned about the change process of coral color, now let's talk about the first reason with influence the color's: Lower nutrient salt.
I also wrote about the color of nutrients affecting corals before, but I think the preview article is a comprehensive description. If SPS is increase color, it will be more detailed and more specific, otherwise it will not be enough, so today's article can be seen as the SPS version of the last article. This nutrient salt affects the color problem. I think that as long as people with a little experience know almost, the following sentence can make you understand quickly: The number of symbiotic algae determines the color of the coral, and the higher the nutrient salt = the more symbiotic algae = the thicker the color, the lower the nutrient salt = the less the symbiotic algae = the lighter the color. Usually, our reference test is based on no3, so as for how many no3 is controlled, this is actually not accurate. You are the master, you are the colorist of the coral. As for whether you like pink or red, it is your opinion, and you are not wrong.
The following content is today's SPS version:
You should notice two things:
1. Different kind of coral are different nutrient salt range, for example: thin seriatopora hystrix can live, fat also can survive, but the range of other varieties may be much smaller. Whether it is high or low when it exceeds the critical point that this coral can accept, it will generally become coffee color, dormant, no hair, bottom off, etc. (I will analyze it later).
2. If you only use no3 as a reference, the value of the appropriate SPS should be tested in the sari method no3 in the vicinity of colorless, because it may be suitable for most of the SPS, but not all are very good, you should know all varieties are very good is impossible. Because testing are colorless that it is difficult to judge value exactly, all judge need depends on people experience. This is also one of the most powerful places for many old hand, he can easily judge the current situation based on several different coral colors, and the new SPS people will not find a specific point at this time.
Now I combine my own experience to give some common coral performance to SPS hobbyist in the case of the Shalifa NO3 test colorless. Let more hobbyist can learn the judge a few specific corals in the tank, so that you can have a rough judgment in the colorless range.
a. High: Red tiles usually show dark red and crimson.
Many kinds of LPS especially euphyllia ancora and torches, always performance very good state, rich in color and have a rapid growth and division. At this time, SPS color are extremely rich, 'M' (belong with Tile)and ' P ' (belong with seriatopora hystrix) are always in a very good state. Except for the green coral of SPS, they will have twilight in a certain extent. Except for 'M' and 'P' lots of 'A' are not very good in terms of health. This situation are similar to my coral I used to raise as shown below:
出色系列(2)a.jpg

b. Medium: Red tiles continue fade, usually showing red color. Euphyllia ancora and torches still performance good state, but the color has faded, the most of trachyphyllia geofroyi need kept away from light feeding. the color of SPS are rich at this time, 'M' (belong with Tile)and ' P ' (belong with seriatopora hystrix) still in a very good state. A small part of kind ‘A’ coral shows coffee color. Most of kind ‘A’ coral have a better health and growth. This situation is probably close to the coral I have feed in the previous, as shown below (the range of personal satisfaction):
出色系列(2)b.jpg

c. Low:
Red tile coral color continues to fades, usually showing pink,
The color of the hammers and torches the head began to fade significantly, and began to affect the state, the brain coral almost into the light of death stage.
At this time the SPS color is gorgeous, M is (Watts kind) and P ( Nest kind) in addition to the color continues to change, there is still no problem, but the growth rate will start to be affected.
Most A-type corals are no longer coffee color, and health began to be better, the growth was obvious. Very few SPS will start to adapt, and may even die
This situation is close to my previous picture, and compared to the first picture, the green coral has become significantly yellow-green:
出色系列(3)c.jpg

d. Extremely low:
Software corals and the genus m tile is basically difficult to survive
There is a small part of the genus P that can continue to live, but it is difficult to grow.
There is no coffee color coral, the color is quite light, but also living coral is often more stunning and fluorescent.
A genus also has a lot of varieties cannot adapt, but the long branches of Xisha, fish scales, a class will still live well.
In this case you can refer to some successful Zeo cylinders.
Note:
1. The above picture a, b, c are my own tanks, in other water quality is relatively good, the three pictures of the environment NO3 are colorless. Contrast pictures can be clearly seen, the same colorless, the nutrient remains a huge level.
2. Because NO3 test is more convenient, so NO3 is a common method of judgment, but there are other factors such as light.
3. Higher nutrient conditions can be thought of as an enhanced version of 1, the color is more intense, this time more varieties of SPS performance will be worse, especially in the case of A.
But any of the above is true, as long as you like. Personally, I usually recommend to maintain in the 2 and 3 look, at this time your growth rate, health, color this kind at the same time have a certain guarantee. When it comes to maintenance, we have to talk more about it today.:
1. No one else can be fully maintained at a value, but time and experience have made him train his eyes. It's like taking a look at the coral,and then knowing that the nutrient salt seems to be high recently, then you can making minor adjustments. This is look like pendulum clock, the longer time you experience, the experienced you have, the higher your ability to maintain will be. The final amplitude will become smaller and smaller, and you can adjust it back when you have problems, but it is not completely maintained at a value.
2. Experience is difficult to learn, I will try my best to write down with my experience, after reading my article, You will learn to raise corals more easily than I used to. But don't expect to be successful in one year, just today's article you may spend few years to explore. So saltwater knowledge will not be fast to practice.
3. Except for judgment, the newcomer lacks is patience.
All newcomers can't wait to use a magical medicine to solve the problem quickly. Although the seawater circle does have a cure, but there is no magic medicine, I suggest it is best to use less medicine!
Maybe you will start to adjust after reading article. But for SPS, your adjustment must take a month and slowly adjust, remember not to be impatient, any big fluctuations are disasters. So you have to take your time and eventually your coral will give you the best return.
I chatted with my friends a few days ago and said that an example, how to protect panda? First, you should protect the bamboo and raise bamboo good, and then you can think about protect panda problems, so you have to take slowly.
Finally, many people ask me: why my NO3 are totally colorless and very low, my coral are still yellow color. Don't worry, this series has a lot of content, I will slowly explain the various mysteries of these problems, the next article may solve some of your doubts!

Orginal: HeTieming
Mr. He accompany you to play with saltwater

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back