[SPS frag] Zero polyp extension? How can I safe this frag?

yuzusama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had this coral for over a year, and this frag in a branch from its original colony. I was doing ok for 2~3 months, and suddenly it stops growing and I can observe zero polyp extension even at night time. It does keep encrusting on the rock as of now, and start to show some fluorescent color, but for the past one and a half month no PE.

Water param has been the same through out t
his issue, with KH 8~9, no3 1~5, po4 0~0.01, ca 430, mg 1350. People suggested me of falt worms or other sps eating pest, but none of those is present in my tank or on any other corals, especially with a recent pest treatment. And there is no other fish or invertebrates that would bite on it. So I am really out of clue why is this negative change appearing on this frag. Could I get some insights or suggestions what could help? Thanks!

The below picture is what it looks like 2 months ago, and the video shows how it is now.
past.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 0.0 po4 is likely your issue. Bump it up with Neo-phos and reef roids daily. You should see a difference in all of your sps rather quickly.

OP
OP
yuzusama

yuzusama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 0.0 po4 is likely your issue. Bump it up with Neo-phos and reef roids daily. You should see a difference in all of your sps rather quickly.
Thank you for the suggestions. But ive had a hard time raising my PO4 levels. I tried to feed heavily with fresh shrimp often and pellets twice a day to my 8 fish and other corals in the tank, but I still cant observe po4 level to rise. Most of the time it stays at 0 or non-detectable. Should I simply try tossing a piece of shrimp into the sump to raise po4 quickly?

The other question I got is, if PO4 is the issue, why my other sps all seem to be thriving, especially the blue Oregon and other Acropora that will have very satisfying PE at midnight? The acro shown above is the ONLY sps in my tank that is not doing well.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions. But ive had a hard time raising my PO4 levels. I tried to feed heavily with fresh shrimp often and pellets twice a day to my 8 fish and other corals in the tank, but I still cant observe po4 level to rise. Most of the time it stays at 0 or non-detectable. Should I simply try tossing a piece of shrimp into the sump to raise po4 quickly?

The other question I got is, if PO4 is the issue, why my other sps all seem to be thriving, especially the blue Oregon and other Acropora that will have very satisfying PE at midnight? The acro shown above is the ONLY sps in my tank that is not doing well.
What do you use to test your phosphates? I agree with raising phosphates. The shrimp is more nitrate based, and won't help much with phosphates. You need some food that is more phosphate based (typically plants like nori and reef roids). Do you use GFO or any other phosphate removing media?

OP
OP
yuzusama

yuzusama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use to test your phosphates? I agree with raising phosphates. The shrimp is more nitrate based, and won't help much with phosphates. You need some food that is more phosphate based (typically plants like nori and reef roids). Do you use GFO or any other phosphate removing media?
I use Salifert test kits for testing PO4, not hanna. The result for most of the time is just purely clear so I assume its 0 or non-detectable.

Most the fish that I own is omnivores or carnivores, no tangs, just a Sailfin Blenny. So maybe I just toss a piece of nori in the sump instead?

In terms of Phosphate removing media, I only have a handful of macro red grape algae, and nothing else.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your other corals are happy and growing like they look to be in the videos, I would go about trying to change parameters for 1 small frag. Keep everything stable as you have been and it should come right, if not, that's also okay. Not worth messing with everything for one small piece.

That's just my opinion :)

kin_itsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same situation like yours.Except my three frags don't have the pe.I thought it might be the KH.In my tank kh is about 9.5 using the hanna machine.I am tring to lower it by water change in a week .
So I have had this coral for over a year, and this frag in a branch from its original colony. I was doing ok for 2~3 months, and suddenly it stops growing and I can observe zero polyp extension even at night time. It does keep encrusting on the rock as of now, and start to show some fluorescent color, but for the past one and a half month no PE.

Water param has been the same through out t
his issue, with KH 8~9, no3 1~5, po4 0~0.01, ca 430, mg 1350. People suggested me of falt worms or other sps eating pest, but none of those is present in my tank or on any other corals, especially with a recent pest treatment. And there is no other fish or invertebrates that would bite on it. So I am really out of clue why is this negative change appearing on this frag. Could I get some insights or suggestions what could help? Thanks!

The below picture is what it looks like 2 months ago, and the video shows how it is now.
past.jpg

Rammess

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all your other corals are happy and growing like they look to be in the videos, I would go about trying to change parameters for 1 small frag. Keep everything stable as you have been and it should come right, if not, that's also okay. Not worth messing with everything for one small piece.

That's just my opinion :)
Yea I agree. I would try moving position under lighting or water flow of the single frag before changing around parameters.

OP
OP
yuzusama

yuzusama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a simple update, I am observing that the frag is gradually gaining back its PE, and though I dont have a picture yet, it is encrusting heavily even during the time when it got pale and zero PE like I showed in the video. now the encrusting area is I'd say more than tripled compared to that in the video.

What I implemented in the tank after I posted this issue is rather simple:

1, I lowered my lighting output to be 60% compared to previous settings, and I reduced the amount of strong white light. I did see the frag as well as other healthy frags in my tank starting to gain more color, instead of a pale chalk like color.

2, I start to feed more heavily to the tank, and added two more fish(one six-line wrasse and one blue tang.) Also one of the damsel fish died in my tank, and I didnt do anything about it, just letting other cleanup crew processing it, and parts of it just kinda get dissolved into the water, and after 2 weeks I am seeing all the macro algae and frags starting to bloom with vitality, the color and PE, and just by looking at the thick flesh on a frag, you know they are growing like never before. I guess this is a clear evidence that my tank was very malnutritious.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back