Starphire Glass Has a haze (pictures included)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kinda old now but curious to know if there was any more development into what may have caused this?
Currently I have an aqua one aqua reef 400 (don't persecute me for it was my first tank and didn't know any better) for around 4 years now and it has done the exact same thing over the last 18 months on the front panel which is also low iron.
20190819_142110.jpg
20190819_141643.jpg
I have just started a build on a new 8 foot tank with low iron glass and a little worried that I shouldn't go regular glass incase it is something I am doing to cause this.
I am following along I have a low iron glass tank from Tank Me USA no problems so far

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your trouble man... I know the feeling you spend all that time finally planning a custom tank with Low iron glass to have it become hazing for no apparent reasons.. Anyways the problem started 3 months after starting the tank (or maybe from the start but I had bacteria bloom so may have dismissed it), Since the post it has not really gotten worst but its remained the same. I have been looking for a house for the past year and upgrading to a much larger tank 400g from planet aquarium and making sure not to work with my local company which is C2C - which sold me the bad tank for $1800 (115g); that I pickedup without any crating so I could justify the price. I figured if I was happy with this tank strength (which I am), they would have my business as I expanding to propagating corals. However, they just ignored my friendly emails to help troubleshoot what was going on and I just said the hell with them I'll ensure it wont' happen on the next tank and will polish it once I can remove all the livestock.

Anyways, Your hazing looks worst than mine. Speaking to one of the manager or owners at Planet aquarium they identified the issue very fast.. They said glass was install the wrong side - Tin or molten vs air side. They said it would get worst and worst and this was 14 months ago but it has not gotten worst. Therefore, I believe they just used old glass that may have been left outside in the sun or something - something another person had suggested. Due to the low iron properties its not as robust as standard glass so has to be handled accordingly. Once I upgrade I will try to polish it with cerlime oxide and use it for a Soft coral and LPS tank.

Please send your manufacture the tank and demand an explanation.. Nothing you do should haze the glass where you would have to polish it. You should even contact a non industry glass expert and get some fact and tell them to take there tank and give a refund or replacement

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kinda old now but curious to know if there was any more development into what may have caused this?
Currently I have an aqua one aqua reef 400 (don't persecute me for it was my first tank and didn't know any better) for around 4 years now and it has done the exact same thing over the last 18 months on the front panel which is also low iron.
20190819_142110.jpg
20190819_141643.jpg
I have just started a build on a new 8 foot tank with low iron glass and a little worried that I shouldn't go regular glass incase it is something I am doing to cause this.
Just curious, by any chance are you using lanthanum chloride to treat phosphates?

Scottcscs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, by any chance are you using lanthanum chloride to treat phosphates?
Hi There,
No not lanthanum chloride I tried Red Sea NOPOX for about a month once before deciding to fix the problem with adequate water changes. One chemical I have used in large quantities over a period of time is red sea aiptasia x i would be close to having used 2 litres over the last 18 months

yampavalleyaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a customer with a Red Sea Reefer 750 that is having this issue. Front and left panel. Right side, back and sump are fine. Tank is only 5 months old, they have been using reef crystals with weekly 10-15% water changes. Red Sea is sending a new tank but I dread switching it out, especially if the new tank ends up with the same problem. I do not stock or service this tank, just responsible for installation and switching out the tank. First picture is of the left side (with Hazing) second is of the right side (clear). Just thought I'd chime in.
Foggy Glass2.jpg

Foggy Glass.jpg

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lay on the floor and look up at it, you can see a distortion in the glass.............
I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be a seris wide problem because that wouldn’t / shouldn’t get past QC and someone would of had their tank crash open by now

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Starphire glass on my SCA aquarium that I've been having about a year. I just started noticing some of what I thought was cloudy water, but water is crystal clear from top view. So, I'm worried about the glass now.

Above someone mention about tin/molten side in vs. out. How could you tell if your glass was installed right or wrong?

Also, with the glass being "low iron" would using a product like Ferrion or Chaeto-gro , which puts iron in the water, would that affect the glass?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Starphire glass on my SCA aquarium that I've been having about a year. I just started noticing some of what I thought was cloudy water, but water is crystal clear from top view. So, I'm worried about the glass now.

Above someone mention about tin/molten side in vs. out. How could you tell if your glass was installed right or wrong?

Also, with the glass being "low iron" would using a product like Ferrion or Chaeto-gro , which puts iron in the water, would that affect the glass?

Your glass should not absorb or react with any elements. I started dosing Iron about 1 after setting up the tank.. The hazing had already established and remained the same. Growth is good but unfortunately could never enjoy my tank from front panel.
IMG-20190728-WA0006.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved everything to a large Frag tank and my tank is empty so I can finally take a polisher to it. For the past 2 years the tank clarity ruined the hobby for me. I had to clean glass daily otherwise it would look X5 more hazing with film of algae. If I had to do it again i would have caught the hazing before adding animals and demanded a new tank

1208171906a.jpg
frag2.jpg

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved everything to a large Frag tank and my tank is empty so I can finally take a polisher to it. For the past 2 years the tank clarity ruined the hobby for me. I had to clean glass daily otherwise it would look X5 more hazing with film of algae. If I had to do it again i would have caught the hazing before adding animals and demanded a new tank

1208171906a.jpg
frag2.jpg
Good thread.

I literally have the same problem. Tank is less than one year old, and driving me nuts.

A Miracles 220. Bs

Space Coyote

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my prior tank low Fe develop etching on one panel only. It’s heartbreaking when it happens. Nothing will work. Tried them all. It’s a glass defect. Just happens.
Had to get a new tank. Move everything. The dread of having to do that was the worst. Once it was done - back to being happy. Short memory brain kicked in. Went with star fire glass. No regrets 3 years later.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my prior tank low Fe develop etching on one panel only. It’s heartbreaking when it happens. Nothing will work. Tried them all. It’s a glass defect. Just happens.
Had to get a new tank. Move everything. The dread of having to do that was the worst. Once it was done - back to being happy. Short memory brain kicked in. Went with star fire glass. No regrets 3 years later.
Well for my self. Tank is less than a year, and has progressed over last three months. 220g, 580lbs, in a basement........soooo not the easiest or cheapest to deal with. I'm super ticked.

Is it true Starphire glass has one good side? From the manufacturing process? Or elements exposure is a thing prior to build? Is there facts to back that up?

20200109_194027.jpg 20200109_194136.jpg 20200109_194051.jpg

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to all affected by this - sorry to hear it!

i was toying with the idea of a low iron glass DT, but after readings this issues, i don't think the gamble of 2-3x price will be justified without any guarantees. and even if they make good on their guarantee, the hassle of moving everything out and putting it back into a new tank is way too much effort (for me at least).

Space Coyote

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been years since I did the research and my LFS has seen it all. I don’t remember anyone knowing exactly what causes it.
It’s rare though. Just random bad luck.
I will say starphire glass is beautiful. If it’s your big last tank - and budget is feasible would absolutely choose it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back