Starting Copper Power and Prazipro after Questions

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, I am looking to get a yellow wrasse Saturday and planning on QT this guy. My plan is to add him to the QT and watch him for about 2-3 days and make sure he eats and settles in and then start dosing copper power. First is this ok to do or do I need to start Copper right away or Have the tank up to 1.0PPM before adding the fish which I heard you need to do. Next I plan to allow him to go through copper treatment for at least 30 days. After this would it be ok to do a large %50 water change and maybe wait and do another and then start dosing the Prazipro or would I need another tank or another way to do it? Please provide what you guys like to do or what is okay. I don't have another tank for a separate treatment so I'd really like to be able to dose in the same tank. Just not sure if I can do it after the copper power treatment or not.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you going to use copper? If the fish is not sick my try to medicate it?

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you going to use copper? If the fish is not sick my try to medicate it?
You know you can treat even if the fish is not sick as a preventative. And with over 2k in a tank I rather not take any chances.. just how I look at it. Also if you don’t trust a fish store or where you’re getting the fish from it’s always best to treat them.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no sign of parasites when you get it, observation for a couple of days to get the fish eating is OK. Then, get to full copper dose (2.25 - 2.50 for CopperPower or CopperSafe) immediately. I would add a bowl of non-calcium based sand for the wrasse to bury in. After 30 days, do the water change then treat with prazipro. At 8 days, do another water change and add second dose of prazi. Some (including me) will use a third dose of prazi after 8 more days. Give the third dose a couple of days to work then move the fish to DT.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK your choice .

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no sign of parasites when you get it, observation for a couple of days to get the fish eating is OK. Then, get to full copper dose (2.25 - 2.50 for CopperPower or CopperSafe) immediately. I would add a bowl of non-calcium based sand for the wrasse to bury in. After 30 days, do the water change then treat with prazipro. At 8 days, do another water change and add second dose of prazi. Some (including me) will use a third dose of prazi after 8 more days. Give the third dose a couple of days to work then move the fish to DT.
Do you recommend only non-calcium based sand I have some ocean direct live sand that’s leftover from my display tank and I do not have the live sand packet with it just the sand will this work or do you recommend getting other sand

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with waiting a few days before running copper as long as there aren’t any any clear issues, as @threebuoys said.

One thing to note, these guys are susceptible to uronema, which unfortunately has no cure. Keep an eye out for that in store and in qt.
What are some good things to look out for if you’re aware of some ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend only non-calcium based sand I have some ocean direct live sand that’s leftover from my display tank and I do not have the live sand packet with it just the sand will this work or do you recommend getting other sand
Calcium based sand (and rock) absorbs copper, which makes dosing difficult and it can release it at later dates. Best to avoid the headache and use other sand (the silica based sand for fw works).

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium based sand (and rock) absorbs copper, which makes dosing difficult and it can release it at later dates. Best to avoid the headache and use other sand (the silica based sand for fw works).
Do you know what some non calcium base sand are ? Do they sell them at fish shops or petco ?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use clean play sand ( from Home Depot)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good things to look out for if you’re aware of some ?
The telltale sign is a vertical red lesion that appears on the side of the fish. They’ll act off before dying (heavy breathing, lethargy), but it usually progresses very quick.
In my attempt at a yellow Coris it made it 2 days in qt before it quickly succumbed.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The telltale sign is a vertical red lesion that appears on the side of the fish. They’ll act off before dying (heavy breathing, lethargy), but it usually progresses very quick.
In my attempt at a yellow Coris it made it 2 days in qt before it quickly succumbed.
Wow that’s sad I’m sorry to hear that. Do you guys think that fish show more signs of diseases and stuff like that once they’re introduced to a quarantine tank or it display tank or do you think it’s something you would always see in the fish shop if they had it… the yellow wrasse I’m looking at I have seen in my local shop two times in the last two weeks and I watched him pretty good last week so if I go back this week and he looks pretty good, I’m hoping if he had anything it would have shown by then

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay what do you do when you add it to the dt do you do a clean saltwater bath or anything like that? Do you even bag it or do you just straightened it into the tank?
I rinse it in tap water then put enough is a tupperware container so the wrasse can fully bury.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse it in tap water then put enough is a tupperware container so the wrasse can fully bury.
I’m sorry I meant the fish after it’s been through treatment, and you’re ready to introduce it to the display tank that’s why I asked if you bag it up and let it acclimate and all that

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s sad I’m sorry to hear that. Do you guys think that fish show more signs of diseases and stuff like that once they’re introduced to a quarantine tank or it display tank or do you think it’s something you would always see in the fish shop if they had it… the yellow wrasse I’m looking at I have seen in my local shop two times in the last two weeks and I watched him pretty good last week so if I go back this week and he looks pretty good, I’m hoping if he had anything it would have shown by then
I was lucky. I have a yellow wrasse that's over two years old. (I assume its a coris. Its reef safe)

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry I meant the fish after it’s been through treatment, and you’re ready to introduce it to the display tank that’s why I asked if you bag it up and let it acclimate and all that
OHH, no, misunderstood. if the salinity and temperature are the same in the two tanks, I just net it and drop it in.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually they like to wait until after you spent your money… the stress of transfer may be enough to set it off.
If it’s been at the lfs a while and is healthy, that’s a good sign. Definitely pass if you see any red lesions, but normal behavior is a good sign.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHH, no, misunderstood. if the salinity and temperature are the same in the two tanks, I just net it and drop it in.
And if they’re off a little do you go through the acclamation process? I’m sure you try to match the same parameters however that’s not always possible so I’m just trying to see what the option would be

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back