Starting up again after 20+ years

toy4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Good to meet you all.

I had a reef tank long ago in our previous house. It was a pieced together Oceanic 55g tank w/ MH lighting, chiller, canister, skimmer etc. I hated freshwater so I converted to saltwater.

Now that both the wife and I are retired, I am ready to start up again. I look forward to a lot of the technology changes since the old days. I have confused the heck out of myself by reading too much about tanks and stuff so I look forward to input since there is a lot of new stuff.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pezlobo1.jpg
Welcome to the reef!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Good to meet you all.

I had a reef tank long ago in our previous house. It was a pieced together Oceanic 55g tank w/ MH lighting, chiller, canister, skimmer etc. I hated freshwater so I converted to saltwater.

Now that both the wife and I are retired, I am ready to start up again. I look forward to a lot of the technology changes since the old days. I have confused the heck out of myself by reading too much about tanks and stuff so I look forward to input since there is a lot of new stuff.
There are so many options and opinions now on starting your new tank. Sometimes it can get overwhelming. I would pick one source meaning one person that has an aquarium you would like to have and stick with that one mentor. Mixing and matching can lead to problems. Can't wait for your pictures

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Welcome back to the reef. I took a 10 year hiatus and when I got back in, the bug bit hard. Have over 1000 gallons running now.
This is a great place to be. Friendly people, awesome knowledge base, and great admins.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

CaptainAndy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting back after a 10 year break. Major blockade is my wife who remembers all the kalk and saltwater spills. I am also shocked by the prices now. I was lucky enough to win a few 1st edition LE from Reef Farmers and felt guilty about spending over a hundred bucks for each.
Now there are mushrooms and torches that approach a grand. I cannot nor will I ever pay that much for a mushroom.
Reef-flation

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 60 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back