Still fighting this algae issue!!!! I need advice!

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is a water sterilizer and breaks down organic matter (waste) in the water as well, too much can be deadly so keep a bag of charcoal in your sump to remove excess o3, basically its like HD for fish tanks, although they can be pricey. I have never had anything on a tank that was more effective at removing nuisance algae. i battled aggressive string and macro algae in one of my tanks (350 gallon custom tank) and was just about to pull all the rock then decided to try ozone and within two weeks the algae was regressing after a month it was completely gone and the tank is cleaner than it has been in years with minimal effort.
Oh wow okay....I'll definitely look more into that for sure! Thank you!! So if I did use that can you use it along with gfo? Or my carbon dosing? And when you say run charcoal in my sump, you mean run carbon right? I have a brs dual reactor already

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is a water sterilizer and breaks down organic matter (waste) in the water as well, too much can be deadly so keep a bag of charcoal in your sump to remove excess o3, basically its like HD for fish tanks, although they can be pricey. I have never had anything on a tank that was more effective at removing nuisance algae. i battled aggressive string and macro algae in one of my tanks (350 gallon custom tank) and was just about to pull all the rock then decided to try ozone and within two weeks the algae was regressing after a month it was completely gone and the tank is cleaner than it has been in years with minimal effort.
Who makes it? I can't find it on brs or live aquaria?

Live Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that should work, just make sure you get a controller for it as well, yes on the tank in my main picture i have a calcium reactor, ozone, refugium, gfo reactor, biopellet reactor, and a overpowered protein skimmer but this tank is always changing so i keep the water way too clean so it can handle whatever i throw at it.

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that should work, just make sure you get a controller for it as well, yes on the tank in my main picture i have a calcium reactor, ozone, refugium, gfo reactor, biopellet reactor, and a overpowered protein skimmer but this tank is always changing so i keep the water way too clean so it can handle whatever i throw at it.
I was looking for an actual liquid!! Haha clearly that isn't it....what are some good ones to look at?

Live Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha ha i prefer the ones that look similar to a uv light, just connect a air pump up to one side and connect the other side to your protein skimmer intake using ozone safe airline tubing, i have started selling these to all of my customers to keep their tanks cleaner which allows me to focus on all the things in a reef that matter. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone doesn't generally help with algae, nor does it actually reduce total organic matter in the water. I don't recommend it for anything except making the water clearer, which it does very well by reacting with and destroying the light absorbing entities in organic matter.

I discuss it in great detail in these articles:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php
Yeah I'd rather to do one thing at a time for sure, so I'm thinking of reducing nitrates and phosphates still and then see if that works and if not then I will stop nopox and just do bigger water changes I guess

Live Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well go the cheaper route first for sure, i was just letting you know what worked for me, i never had a problem with the clarity on either one of the tanks i have put it on now so keep us posted! id like to know how you beat it, with the string algae i was battling it just seemed to get better every week after the ozone when for months it had gotten worse no matter what i tried i even tried stopping water changes. On that particular tank i have not done a water change in four months now because it seems to destabilize it and it has never looked better or supported more fish. ill post some pictures of it in the coming week, i would try what randy says first, i have learned allot from his post in the past which have helped me countless times, although i was reading them without being a member on here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the help and advice, I'll keep everyone posted in a couple weeks or so! Thanks again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back