still lost on quarantine protocol

Supertanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. So I'm new, of course, which means ignorant. I've researched a lot. I have a new 125ga tank that is just about cycled so I'm nearing time to get some livestock. I was bummed at ReefAPalooza seeing so much attractive livestock, such great prices, yet having to hold off. I'm just lost on the step-by-step on quarantining/dipping, etc. I can't seem to find consistent/consensus timelines or protocols. Here's want I want to do in the DT: softies, zoanthids, maybe one LPS, and a couple clownfish, maybe one other fish but I don't know what. Not sure on what clean-up crew to have, really not a fan of snails for some reason, too. But I'm looking at this thing but don't know where to start. Say I buy a leather and some zoanthids first...what do I do with them to get them in the DT, and how long will it take? It's weird because I started out so confident but now I'm suddenly thinking...how do I get there?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is 2 different types of QT. Coral QT and a fish QT
Coral QT is a 76 day period in which the coral sit in a tank, where you can observe it for pest and hitchhikers. 76 days allows any fish parasites/diseases to die.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every topic in this hobby has multiple sides to it. Some people say quarantine everything. Others say dont quarantine at all. Both have success. As far as a CuC you want it as diverse as possible including snails. You could go without but will pay for it in the long run. I'm also in the middle of my cycle. I'll be going the no quarantine route like in this article

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-other-way-to-run-a-reef-tank-no-quarantine.573/

Clean up crew and cycling I will be following the Lasse method in this article

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/

Everyone has their own way to do things. I myself am intrigued by how these people have done things. At the same time it's hard to argue with either of these sources due to their background.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every topic in this hobby has multiple sides to it. Some people say quarantine everything. Others say dont quarantine at all. Both have success. As far as a CuC you want it as diverse as possible including snails. You could go without but will pay for it in the long run. I'm also in the middle of my cycle. I'll be going the no quarantine route like in this article

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-other-way-to-run-a-reef-tank-no-quarantine.573/

Clean up crew and cycling I will be following the Lasse method in this article

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/

Everyone has their own way to do things. I myself am intrigued by how these people have done things. At the same time it's hard to argue with either of these sources due to their background.

I went the "no quarantine" route for many years. Until now. I just lost $500 in fish because a shipment came in with Velvet. Now I'm setup to QT everything. Step 14: Do not test water parameters... first time I've read that.

In the end it is your livestock to play Russian roulette with.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are exceptions to every rule. I look at this hobby as trying to mimic ocean habitat. In that sense if there wasn't a way to manage disease naturally without boy in the bubble philosophy then every organism in the ocean would be dead already. Paul B has a 48 year old tank that nothing has been quarantined. There has to be something to his idea. I agree that at some point I may run into a disaster. I also know that when it gets to that point I will be trying to figure where I went wrong. Rather than I should have been the over cautious parent that never let their kid outside the house. Like I said in the beginning, there are multiple sides to everything in this hobby. We're all just playing guessing games

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the fish in the ocean aren't quarantined when they are born. We dont keep our children in a bubble for the first few years to prevent the common flu. There's plenty of evidence that a healthy immune system is favored over seclusion. There's just more propaganda otherwise because quarantine sells products where a natural immune system is relatively free.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling someone who has a tank that is 48 years old and been subject to magazine articles irresponsible and lazy is a pretty bold statement.

Last edited:

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing an ocean to an aquarium is not even apples to oranges... it's much farther off then that.

I agree it is irresponsible when there are steps you can take to improve there chance of living. Would you buy a puppy that hasn't been screened or vaccinated because a stray dog doesn't have the luxury, but their puppy's live?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont confuse what I'm saying with a lack of caring. There is life all around us that thrives without being sheltered from the outside world. If taking the time to truly understand an environment and base our little piece of the Ocean the way @Lasse and @Paul B did why is that wrong? Am I less sincere? How is something with a strong immune system less healthy or happy than a creature with no immune system at all?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 14: Do not test water parameters... first time I've read that.
Do not take something out of its context - it is a part of all 15 steps and it is there because you do not need to test if you follow the first 13 steps. However after the first months when the aquaria has stabilize - you may test some of the parameters in order to adjust your parameters into the ones you want. Is there because of the risk for chasing numbers when the aquaria needs time in order to be biological stabile

The "no quarantine method" is faith-based. There is nothing in that thread that amounts to any evidence. It is irresponsible to kill wildlife because it is inconvenient to properly care for them.

Please specify how this is "faih-based" and how Paul B have killed his livestock - and how I have killed mine?

IMO - the use of prophylactic treatment (putting in some chemicals just in case of..) is the wrong way. Normally – this type of treatment is a big no-no in all treatments of animals. Here in Sweden - prophylactic treatment is never used for any animal: Vaccination is not a prophylactic treatment but today – there is only a few fish diseases that you can use vaccination against. I´m not against treatment but you should never try to fix anything that´s not broken. I´m not against QT – but it should only be observation and treatment only if there is clear indications of a certain disease. I do not use QT but I let every newcomers be in my refugium for a week or two before they will be introduced into the DT. And I´m not killing any fish.

Sincerely Lasse

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. So I'm new, of course, which means ignorant. I've researched a lot. I have a new 125ga tank that is just about cycled so I'm nearing time to get some livestock. I was bummed at ReefAPalooza seeing so much attractive livestock, such great prices, yet having to hold off. I'm just lost on the step-by-step on quarantining/dipping, etc. I can't seem to find consistent/consensus timelines or protocols. Here's want I want to do in the DT: softies, zoanthids, maybe one LPS, and a couple clownfish, maybe one other fish but I don't know what. Not sure on what clean-up crew to have, really not a fan of snails for some reason, too. But I'm looking at this thing but don't know where to start. Say I buy a leather and some zoanthids first...what do I do with them to get them in the DT, and how long will it take? It's weird because I started out so confident but now I'm suddenly thinking...how do I get there?
Im sure now you are as confused as you were when you posted this.
There are no set rules. There are good practices. A lot depends on where you get your livestock. (what condition they are in)
Im a middle of the road person.
2 weeks QT .. TTM with Prazi Pro day 5 and 10 for fish.
If they are sick then other treatment might be needed.
Corals. I dip and in they go. If I buy them from a local, I ask if their tank has Ich.
Only you can decide what works for you.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I've learned on this forum is that quarantining is a sensitive subject. We would get farther discussing politics, religion or whether to home school our kids. It comes down to you. You need to read the previous threads and articles, and then read more. Figure out what works with your philosophy (after researching) and then determine what would work best for you. Try to center yourself and read -- then do what you think is best. I'm a librarian in real life. If you would like me to find articles/threads/information for you on both sides of the playing field, just message me in "conversations". I'll be happy to help. But I will not give you my opinion on this subject. :) I'm sure you are excited about getting your tank going. I can't wait to see it in action.

OP
OP
Supertanker

Supertanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much. In any case, I understand the desire to avoid hitchhikers and pests, and most of all, diseases. In the end, (well, actually here at the beginning of my tank) here's what I did... I struck up a fairly good relationship with my LFS (actually not that local, he's in Gainesville, but I go into his store frequently as I'm there a lot), and have seen how he cares for his inventory, and asked him a lot of questions. I am not adding fish now, so yesterday I bought two torches, a mushroom/leather, a Duncan, a green star polyp, two colonies of zoanthids, and three shrimp. I acclimated the shrimp and put them in the DT. My son and I dipped all the corals, scrubbed the frag stands (on those that had them), and then put them in. So I went the no quarantine route here. I do intend to quarantine any fish once I get there. I'll update on any relevant findings. The reason I went this way was not strictly impatience. I just decided to relax a bit on trying to keep my little environment sterile, so to speak. I don't want to invite problems, of course, but lacking a consensus on this issue, I felt it was okay.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is 2 different types of QT. Coral QT and a fish QT
Coral QT is a 76 day period in which the coral sit in a tank, where you can observe it for pest and hitchhikers. 76 days allows any fish parasites/diseases to die.

However you only need to do this if there were fish in the tank with the coral - if you ask the lFS - you can calculate how many days to QT IE if the last Time the coral was exposed to a fish was 60 days ago - you only need to QT for 16 days.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would never QT and treat prophylactically. I would put fish in a separate tank and observe them - while maintaining conditions similar to the aquarium they are going into. If they developed signs of velvet or CI - I would treat with Chloroquine PO4. Just my opinion.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the "no quarantine" route for many years. Until now. I just lost $500 in fish because a shipment came in with Velvet. Now I'm setup to QT everything. Step 14: Do not test water parameters... first time I've read that.

In the end it is your livestock to play Russian roulette with.

Yup agreed 100%.... one little tiny coral drag knocked out my whole tank so to those that don’t qt corals or inverts just know they don’t “get” the nasty fish diseases but can certainly bring them into your tank.
One little snail could wipe out everything in your tank... when a disease like velvet hits it hits hard and fast.... not to mention sealing with stuff introducing all kinds of algae and things like Apistia’s
We had a clean well balanced tank for over a year and added just that one frag... and you don’t want to know the work and expense that goes into treating fish that end up with velvet if you catch it quick enough.... I can NOT stress enough to QT!!

Panky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to dip my corals or have my LFS dip the corals before I bring them home. I have gone away from purchasing fish from my LFS. I tend to only purchase from one source which is LiveAquaria. I know their treatment facility, and how they treat fish when the come in, so I am comfortable with not QT’g fish from there. I typically only purchase corals from WWC, LiveAquaria, and Top Shelf Aquatics. I know and have seen their QT and Farm. Don’t put all your faith into these Forums. There is a lot of good information on these forums, but sometimes too much. It can cause a lot of confusion. Unfortunately this is one of those hobbies that you can take notes and sometimes guess. No two Reefs are alike. Also, don’t skimp on equipment. You can buy stuff to get you started, but create a savings for the better equipment. That’s the only thing I can think of. Good Luck and Happy Reefing!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back