Stress in QT.

Drayven666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering how I can reduce stress in a QT tank. My 200 gallon DT is fallow for brook currently, and I have a foxface, yellow tang, and a blue tang in a 29 gallon qt. It's been a week, and the hippo tang has ich all over him, the foxface darts back and forth across the tank, and the yellow tang only comes out for food. Leaving the lights off stops this behavior, but then they think it's night and will not come out to eat. LMK if this is posted in the wrong place.

OP
OP
Drayven666

Drayven666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I’d say hiding places and lots of food and nori! I personally don’t quarantine but feed my tangs to stop aggression and keep them healthy.. so far so good!
I'll be sure to try my best to make sure nori is always available. BTW the two tangs are about 2-3", and the foxface is around 5".

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be sure to try my best to make sure nori is always available. BTW the two tangs are about 2-3", and the foxface is around 5".
Jay or @vetteguy53081 will prolly say copper and such.. I’ll leave it up to them on treatment.. I just know if they’re full there’s less stress in my experience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm wondering how I can reduce stress in a QT tank. My 200 gallon DT is fallow for brook currently, and I have a foxface, yellow tang, and a blue tang in a 29 gallon qt. It's been a week, and the hippo tang has ich all over him, the foxface darts back and forth across the tank, and the yellow tang only comes out for food. Leaving the lights off stops this behavior, but then they think it's night and will not come out to eat. LMK if this is posted in the wrong place.
Minimize movement, keep lights low - not dark and Do Not overfeed as in quarantine, ammonia can rise quickly especially in a 29g tank. Rabbitfish are very skiddish and will dart no matter what - Tangs seem to follow action of another fish. I have 24 tangs and it takes one to get the rest of them running and some ive had 5+ years
I assume these are new acquisitions in quarantine?

OP
OP
Drayven666

Drayven666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimize movement, keep lights low - not dark and Do Not overfeed as in quarantine, ammonia can rise quickly especially in a 29g tank. Rabbitfish are very skiddish and will dart no matter what - Tangs seem to follow action of another fish. I have 24 tangs and it takes one to get the rest of them running and some ive had 5+ years
I assume these are new acquisitions in quarantine?
Nope, had the foxface and yellow tang for a long while. Blue tang is the most recent being october. Brook came in the water from the bag of a coral banded shrimp that I made the terrible decision of not quarantining. I have to keep stress low until June 8th. They're halfway through their metro treatment post-ruby reef rally pro bath.

OP
OP
Drayven666

Drayven666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needless to say I've learned my lesson and nothing will be touching my tanks without quarantine from now on. This has been a disaster.. I have the inhabitants of my 60 reef in quarantine too because I cross contaminated before the disease showed signs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nope, had the foxface and yellow tang for a long while. Blue tang is the most recent being october. Brook came in the water from the bag of a coral banded shrimp that I made the terrible decision of not quarantining. I have to keep stress low until June 8th. They're halfway through their metro treatment post-ruby reef rally pro bath.
It was the size of the fish why I wondered if new. Im sure youve seen the rabbit startle a few times.

OP
OP
Drayven666

Drayven666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the size of the fish why I wondered if new. Im sure youve seen the rabbit startle a few times.
Oh yeah, all the time. If I get up from the couch too fast he's almost completely dark brown lol. I hung up a sheet over the doorway of the room I keep the qt tanks in and reduced the lighting. Made an immediate difference, thank you.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea to place a sheet to prevent the fish from being easily scared. If I were in your place, I would add hiding places or decorations like plastic plants that do not affect the medication, they are quite unpleasant IMO, but they will give shelter and a bit of calm to the fish, and always maintain the water quality, how is this running ruby rally reef pro?? I'm analyzing if I can buy it to have it in case I need it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it a stress problem, or is it that the treatment isn't effective for the disease? What are you treating with? You mention both ich and brook, I'd like to try and confirm which, and then, make sure the treatment is correct.

Jay

OP
OP
Drayven666

Drayven666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a stress problem, or is it that the treatment isn't effective for the disease? What are you treating with? You mention both ich and brook, I'd like to try and confirm which, and then, make sure the treatment is correct.

Jay
I am not treating for ich. Skin was sloughing off of the clownfish, pretty evident sign of brook. The treatment is correct, as I've successfully ridded all the fish of brook. My issue is keeping the stress in the quarantine low while the display fallows. I run a large oversized UV on the display.

OP
OP
Drayven666

Drayven666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea to place a sheet to prevent the fish from being easily scared. If I were in your place, I would add hiding places or decorations like plastic plants that do not affect the medication, they are quite unpleasant IMO, but they will give shelter and a bit of calm to the fish, and always maintain the water quality, how is this running ruby rally reef pro?? I'm analyzing if I can buy it to have it in case I need it.
I followed Humblefish's brook treatment guidelines with ruby reef rally pro. It has a higher concentration so I only did a little over half of the normal dose of regular ruby reef rally. Follow up with 10-14 days of metro, 1 scoop per 10 gallons.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not treating for ich. Skin was sloughing off of the clownfish, pretty evident sign of brook. The treatment is correct, as I've successfully ridded all the fish of brook. My issue is keeping the stress in the quarantine low while the display fallows. I run a large oversized UV on the display.
Oh, I read where you said the “hippo tang has ich all over him”. Diseases themselves are major stressors.

If the diseases are all under control, stress reduction includes good aeration, no ammonia, light reduction to ambient, lots of hiding places and then lowering the water temp to 75 and the salinity down to 1.021

Jay

OP
OP
Drayven666

Drayven666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I read where you said the “hippo tang has ich all over him”. Diseases themselves are major stressors.

If the diseases are all under control, stress reduction includes good aeration, no ammonia, light reduction to ambient, lots of hiding places and then lowering the water temp to 75 and the salinity down to 1.021

Jay
Thanks, I'll take all of these things into consideration. Everything I've been suggested so far has made a drastic difference. Thanks everyone who responded to this post, you all helped a lot. Brook treatment ends in 4 days but I believe I've ridded them of it completely. Better to be safe than sorry though. I'm impatiently waiting for mid-june now haha

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back