Strontium

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That we're perhaps underestimating some compounds and their importance from the coral's perspective.
Just speculating.. :)

OP
OP
dwref

dwref

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy, if this is directed at me, the point I'm trying to make or find out about is if its in the ocean, then shouldn't we be concerned about it.
Thanks

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe careful reading of this brilliant work of Anne Cohen and Glenn Gaetani called "Ion partitioning and the geochemistry of coral skeletons: solving the mystery of the vital effect" will answer all your questions about Sr/Ca and Ca/Mg ratios, aragonite biomineralization and difference between biotic and abiotic precipitation of aragonite. link here => http://www.whoi.edu/fileserver.do?id=75643&pt=2&p=36767

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, if this is directed at me, the point I'm trying to make or find out about is if its in the ocean, then shouldn't we be concerned about it.
Thanks

I didn't direct anything at you, I don't think, but I agree that mimicing the ocean is a fine goal. It's just that the preponderance of evidence is that supplemental strontium is not important for most organisms that we keep. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back