Struggling wrasse in QT

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice on a recently added solarensis wrasse to my 20g qt tank.

Added it last weekend with a McCoskers I got locally. I do separate dips in malachite green and methylene blue with an air stone prior to QT. Then I waited a few days for both fish to eat well before a prazipro treatment. Air stone remains in QT.

I added a half dose of prime to the tank, and waited over 24 hours before starting prime. I’m aware you don’t want to mix the 2, but I thought prime dissipates in 24hrs so away I went.

I watched closely during the day, and noticed the solarensis towards the top of the tank. Watched more and it looked disoriented, so I did a 25% water change (matched salinity) and added carbon. It was still struggling 30 min later so I did another 50% water change. After noticing it was still struggling (from what I thought was oxygen deprivation), I removed both fix and did a methtlene blue dip with the air stone. I took it out before the 30 minutes and added back to tank with lights out. Carbon still in the tank.

This morning, it was alive and looking much better. Swimming and eating. But during the course of the day, it looked a little disoriented still. I thought it may still be feeling the effects of oxygen deprivation, so I did another methylene blue dip. I’m definitely not overdosing. It looked completely KO’d after that, as in completely disoriented. It’s trying though. Lights are out, and I’m in wait and see mode.

What can I do now? Do you see any missteps, other than the obvious one of adding prazipro too soon after prime?

Thank you.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add that the qt was set up with marine pure that I keep in the sump of my display tank.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corrected this statement from my original post.

“I added a half dose of prime to the tank, and waited over 24 hours before starting prazipro. I’m aware you don’t want to mix the 2, but I thought prime dissipates in 24hrs so away I went.”

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a place to sleep.
Thought it was oxygen deprivation. Looks like maybe swim bladder now, or maybe a spinal injury. Hard to tell, but the prazi seems to have set it off. Not sure if I helped. Probably made it worse.
Not sure how to diagnose or where to go from here.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awake. Slightly better. Has color, energy, and is interested in food. Saw him eat a little (mysis, selcon, garlic) but will have to further spot feed.

Video is attached. Is there anything I can be doing here? #reefsquad

edit: don’t think the video is working.

Attachments

• 61739343034__2AC6351F-02BB-460F-9495-2351B3A18D84.MOV
    3.6 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed the tank and it definitely got excited. But it’s in a nonstop barrel roll. And then it regurgitated something brown and stringy. I’ve never seen it before..

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean...the tank is totally unnatural. I think if it had some rocks and sand in it he would have a better idea as to where he was!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does look like he is struggling. I have had these guys and they do not swim like that. Do you have any antibiotics you can try? One with metro? I would not use CP or copper based meds.
He also looks on the older side. Maybe did not adjust to captivity well.

The other wrasse looks pretty good!

I wish you luck and wish I had more to help. Best I an think of is a course of antibiotics and hope he pulls through. I love those guys. Unfortunately they are always caught after full turn and they live about 1-2 years more at most.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have kana and metro I think. I’d have to dose the tank given it’s inability to catch food right now. I’m reluctant to do so because I don’t want to stress the McCoskers. Am I thinking about that wrong?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The McCoskers should handle it fine. I think moving the guy again at this point would be more harmful. But, if you have another tank, you can set that up. No need to cycle, just put some pvc in for hiding and hob filter with an airstone and you should be good to go.
I really hope he improves. It does look like it could be swim bladder. Although, gut tells me age had something to do with it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a spinal injury to me. Really nothing you can do but keep water quality good. If he is eating there's a chance but I've had several wrasse have this happen and only one survived.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I saw it regurgitate something that wasn’t mysis. Looked brown and stringy. Is that common/significant?

I don’t have a second QT unfortunately. Going to sleep on it and see how things are tomorrow. I don’t expect it he solarensis to make it, but I’ll keep hope and also need to make sure the McCosker makes it through now.

Hard to diagnose between swim bladder and spinal, but the Prazi seemed to have set something off and the more I research it, the less likely I am to use it with wrasses. I’ve have a few make it through but have also had a few react very poorly.

Took a long time to find this Solarensis and I went through a lot to get it. Fingers crossed.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my yellow coris wrasse jump and damage his back pretty badly. He actually pulled through, but he was never swimming on side. Always just pulling the back end around. I wish the best for you and the wrasse.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, still alive, but belly up in PVC. Not overly boyant. More like death’s door.

Have it in an acclimation box to protect from flow. It ate mysis w/ selcon via forceps. Will keep doing that as long as it’s eating.

Added light antibiotics to the tank.

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s eaten a good amount today, but still belly up, but not floating. Sticks around in PVC, but it’s still spry. Starting to feel that the prazipro got to some internal parasites that ended up cause the issue. If that’s the case, should I continue the prazi and hope the fish outlasts the parasite?

@Humblefish, I’ve seen your insight on every thread I’ve read that faced a similar issue. Any guidance? A0417F62-89B1-47CD-B965-01EED4ED031F.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    25.6 MB

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think you've done all you can. At this point I would leave him alone, reduce stress the best you can with plenty of places for him to hide, dim the lights, maybe darken one end of the tank with a towel over the sides to block the light, and hope he recovers.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
FortyFour44

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still alive. Slightly elevated breathing. Eating still (manual feeding). 100% upside down. Not overly buoyant. Brought it upright via hand and it immediately flipped upside down once released. Swim bladder.

Last edited:

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • No

Votes: 150 77.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 19 9.8%
Back