Sudden breakout of illness

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suddenly couple fish died couple days ago (longnose butterfly, powder blue tang, puffer) and today some fish don't look good. I haven't add new fish for a while and all new fish always quarantine at least two weeks. Is this ich or something else? Tested for ammonia (0), ph kinda low but manage to bring it to 8.
I am ready to take all fish to do copper treatment and hyposalinity and make the DT fishless. Should i do it today, i am afraid if i put the weak fish on copper it will die.

IMG_8330.jpeg IMG_8331.jpeg IMG_8332.jpeg IMG_8333.jpeg IMG_8334.jpeg

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing on the clownfish just appeared today. But like i said my other fish died. Before that i saw those white spot freckles on the fish for one day and the next day disappear.

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich doesn't usually kill that quickly, so I would suspect Velvet. Did you introduce anything new to the tank at all? even water from a store?
There are no new fish within last month, add corals like about a month ago but i did coral dip and don't put the water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Suddenly couple fish died couple days ago (longnose butterfly, powder blue tang, puffer) and today some fish don't look good. I haven't add new fish for a while and all new fish always quarantine at least two weeks. Is this ich or something else? Tested for ammonia (0), ph kinda low but manage to bring it to 8.
I am ready to take all fish to do copper treatment and hyposalinity and make the DT fishless. Should i do it today, i am afraid if i put the weak fish on copper it will die.

IMG_8330.jpeg IMG_8331.jpeg IMG_8332.jpeg IMG_8333.jpeg IMG_8334.jpeg
You have two things going on here- The clowns have secondary lesions associated with brooklynella and the foxface has cryptocaryon which is Marine ich. Priority is to treat the marine ich. For the foxface, treat in a separate quarantine tank with coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
For the clown, this mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two things going on here- The clowns have secondary lesions associated with brooklynella and the foxface has cryptocaryon which is Marine ich. Priority is to treat the marine ich. For the foxface, treat in a separate quarantine tank with coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
For the clown, this mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I have couple 10 gallon tank ready. On the treatment tank no need for any filtration right? since it will be dosed with copper? I also have another fish, scopas tank and bangaii cardinal, should i put them together with the foxface for the ich?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have couple 10 gallon tank ready. On the treatment tank no need for any filtration right? since it will be dosed with copper? I also have another fish, scopas tank and bangaii cardinal, should i put them together with the foxface for the ich?
Filtration no, but a seeded sponge filter or media helps but mainly watch ammonia levels with a reliable test kit. Increase oxygen with air stone during treatment. Thee tang and scopus are not yet showing signs but cardinal does not do well in copper. I would place with clown opposed to copper exposure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also see advanced ich on the foxface. The clowns could have brooklynella, but advanced ich can also look like that….making diagnosis from a picture difficult.
Jay

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration no, but a seeded sponge filter or media helps but mainly watch ammonia levels with a reliable test kit. Increase oxygen with air stone during treatment. Thee tang and scopus are not yet showing signs but cardinal does not do well in copper. I would place with clown opposed to copper exposure.
the thing is if the ich on the bangai and the bangai not treated, won't it come back after it out of QT?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
the thing is if the ich on the bangai and the bangai not treated, won't it come back after it out of QT?
yes- just saying the cardinal more sensitive to copper. Yes you want to assume they all have it. Treat at 2.25 opposed to 2.5 level

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish didnt make it. The smaller bangai as well, bigger bangai was okay ad of today. How do i know which fish sensitive and which one not? I am olanning to do copper on every new fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back