Sump design help please !!

Andreass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a Expert but here is my sump. Hope this will help you a bit more on your road
IMG_20161123_090026.jpg

mardoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes water coming into 3 filter stocks, then Refugium then bubble trap into the mechanical zone / return pumps area.

OP
OP
Biznizface

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a nightmare trying to finalise the design really think all the baffles will be a hassle and restrictive

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg image.jpeg When I was looking to get my first sump I couldn't understand why those fancy acrylic sumps were designed like they were. And for what they are they are expensive. Flashy, some yes but didn't seem all that practical. I ended up building and designing my own out of a 50 gallon aquarium for my 75 gallon DT. After tweaking the blueprints a handful of times I've been happy with how it is. I recently did another build (70 with a 90 DT) and again took my original design and tweaked just one thing. But maybe this will get you thinking.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Looks good but can't really see the layout a sketch would be better of the layout
I seen that you're not wanting to have algae in the sump. And I would rather not deal with it either,.. but I can tell you I currently take care of 4 different tanks/systems. Two of them dont have macro. I have an easier time keeping my nutrients down as well as dealing with algae on the glass with it in the sump of the 2 that do have it. The other thing I would suggest is to drill your tank for a bulkhead. It's much nicer not having to deal with crap growing on the pump as well as being able to utilize that extra space. This new one will have some frags in that return area once done. Most skimmers need about 10 inches also. I cut myself short on the last build and made sure I had plenty a room for a oversized skimmer on this one.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg image.jpg I have another Marine pure black coming and I'm going to put some egg crate in there for the algae to keep it from going over the waterfall post marine pure. I have a 24 inch 4bulb T5 light to go on the second half of the tank for algae and frags

OP
OP
Biznizface

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0565.PNG
There's some great evidence that siporax when stacked concentrically neatly on top of each other in egg crate baskets works brilliantly and is far superior to all other medias because of how porous it is that's why I'm leaning away from algae I'm not saying I never will go algae just I'm gonna try the hoops first have had good success this way in my nano controlling nutrients with feeding.

A friend sent me his design (photo above) which includes an extra small chamber for the drain and the siporax basket with the floss on top could be a goer

OP
OP
Biznizface

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0568.PNG

This is how I have the hoops in my nano with an one inch spacing at the bottom so no detritus can build up just gets washed away and the stacking concentrically on top of each other is the key for the bacteria to colonise etc

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is definitely more then one way to do it. My concern for myself is keeping detritus from building up anywhere mostly. If i can achieve zero nitrates and without a build up of garbage it's a win anyway you slice it.

OP
OP
Biznizface

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's why I'm keen to get this sump right for exactly the reason of no crap building up anywhere and maybe trying without socks and seeing how it goes with a layer of floss on top of the siporax.

Don't wanna achieve zero nitrates tho as this would not be good for LPS in my opinion.

OP
OP
Biznizface

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
I seen that you're not wanting to have algae in the sump. And I would rather not deal with it either,.. but I can tell you I currently take care of 4 different tanks/systems. Two of them dont have macro. I have an easier time keeping my nutrients down as well as dealing with algae on the glass with it in the sump of the 2 that do have it. The other thing I would suggest is to drill your tank for a bulkhead. It's much nicer not having to deal with crap growing on the pump as well as being able to utilize that extra space. This new one will have some frags in that return area once done. Most skimmers need about 10 inches also. I cut myself short on the last build and made sure I had plenty a room for a oversized skimmer on this one.

I have the oceanlife overflow which is a simple drain and return. Is this what u mean ?

IMG_0569.PNG

IMG_0570.PNG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back