SunnyDs just another invasive palythoa???

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i get offended when people use my favorite coral and the word "invasive" in the same sentence. But honesty I wouldn't consider them invasive by any standard.

I agree it isn't an invasive amount and he asked would it become a problem. I like them they're quite colorful. I once heard a guy in a thread say he had an Utter chaos "problem" and they were growing everywhere, I laughed pretty hard they were the best looking chaos's I'd ever seen.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are invasive. Had 8 polyps about 6 months ago.
IMG_7178.JPG

Are those fire and ice? Because just bought those too. o_O

My sunny D's grow like crazy as well but I frag them. From my experience they seem to be a little sensitive to fragging, I always lose a few. I would not consider them invasive. Plus a coral is only invasive if you allow it to be. Be smart with placement and keep up with your husbandry and you will be fine.

Good to know. And yeah I have been lazy. They are placed on one rock, a fist size so I should move them before they spread like the Rasta are spreading.

ive grown 1 new head in 3 months -____-

I know real life problems, right. :(

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0035.JPG

I'm loving the growth of mine! I'm just letting them, and a few others varieties, take over the floor of my BB tank.

All deez problems! [emoji6]

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0035.JPG

I'm loving the growth of mine! I'm just letting them, and a few others varieties, take over the floor of my BB tank.

All deez problems! [emoji6]

Nice image, what lighting are you running? Going to move mine to try to rein them in some.

@Tahoe61 Cheryl, those zoa's would look great in my 220, just saying. ;)

Dan when it warms up, hit me up I'll make it happen. (you might have to remind me).:cool:

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0183.JPG

Pardon the 'over-blued' iPhone shot, but here's my SDs next to my Tinks. They were the same size when I got them (just about). SDs don't grow too fast imo. Just right...

Are all 3 growing from a single plug? Or are they on something else?

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all separate, flat plugs, Pola0502ds. Here's some shots from when I got them (back in June-ish, timeframe) and a picture of all three of them together from my recent photoshoot. I hope this clears things up.

20160514_192822_zpsh6nwyc74.jpg

Sunny D's

20160514_192745_zpslmkzdcz7.jpg

Tinkerbells

As you can see, the Sunny D's have much more polyps than the Tinks did, when I got them (same seller, same day... friend of mine). The Sunny D's grow slower.

Here's a shot from earlier this week (24th):

SunnyDs-Tinkerbells-ScmbldEggs_zpspcdxzutr.jpg

Those are Scramble Egg Zoas on the far right. The Tinkerbells grow in a much quicker fashion than the Sunny D's. I think this is part of the draw toward Sunny D's. Us SPS keepers love slow growing corals, especially when we can speed it up! LOL!

I love Sunny D's. How anyone wouldn't want these colors in their tank always befuddles me. :)

SunnyDs-Tinkerbells_zpsiavtoynq.jpg

I chose to put them on the bottom to "hopefully" create a "softy bottom" to my tank. As I stated earlier, I'm BB, and it's aesthetically an eyesore until it fills in (IMHO). I'm sure they will creep up the rocks, but I'll just scrape when needed, and give them away to my local reefers when the time comes.

Hope that helps!

becca10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a lazy fragger in S. Az. Guess I am going to have to be more pro-active since I also have Rasta sprouting all over as well.

@AcroNem, Yea I am going to have to start fragging them up. My intention is to have an sps dominated not zoa/palys.

Nice images. :)

I'm here in southern AZ and would love to take a bit off your hands! Just started a 300 gal tank and need some color!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all separate, flat plugs, Pola0502ds. Here's some shots from when I got them (back in June-ish, timeframe) and a picture of all three of them together from my recent photoshoot. I hope this clears things up.

20160514_192822_zpsh6nwyc74.jpg

Sunny D's

20160514_192745_zpslmkzdcz7.jpg

Tinkerbells

As you can see, the Sunny D's have much more polyps than the Tinks did, when I got them (same seller, same day... friend of mine). The Sunny D's grow slower.

Here's a shot from earlier this week (24th):

SunnyDs-Tinkerbells-ScmbldEggs_zpspcdxzutr.jpg

Those are Scramble Egg Zoas on the far right. The Tinkerbells grow in a much quicker fashion than the Sunny D's. I think this is part of the draw toward Sunny D's. Us SPS keepers love slow growing corals, especially when we can speed it up! LOL!

I love Sunny D's. How anyone wouldn't want these colors in their tank always befuddles me. :)

SunnyDs-Tinkerbells_zpsiavtoynq.jpg

I chose to put them on the bottom to "hopefully" create a "softy bottom" to my tank. As I stated earlier, I'm BB, and it's aesthetically an eyesore until it fills in (IMHO). I'm sure they will creep up the rocks, but I'll just scrape when needed, and give them away to my local reefers when the time comes.

Hope that helps!
I'm still down for shipping lol

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same reason why my new system has a isolated rock for zoas/plays... all mine went from 2-6 to covering 85% of all my live rock.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2686.JPG
They do grow fast , just need to plan where they are placed. Very nice looking Paly's , frag and trade or sell. Mine went from 2 polyps to this in a little over a year.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back