Super low nutrients all the time

Those2clowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my 25 gallon lagoon going for about 10 months now. It’s had its ups and downs but it is on a very long down right now. My nitrates have always been low ever since I set the tank up. Most of the time this is not a problem but I dance a very fine line between too low and just enough. My question is how can I raise and keep my nitrates raised so my tank doesn’t have diatoms all over it?

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my 25 gallon lagoon going for about 10 months now. It’s had its ups and downs but it is on a very long down right now. My nitrates have always been low ever since I set the tank up. Most of the time this is not a problem but I dance a very fine line between too low and just enough. My question is how can I raise and keep my nitrates raised so my tank doesn’t have diatoms all over it?
I was using ATI N but BRS has I double the price ridiculous . So I just by my nitrates from Amazon and mix up my own. And phosphates I just feed more to raise that.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use 2.5 tps every 2 cups or 500 ml
Screenshot_20211030-124313_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
Those2clowns

Those2clowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for fish, inverts and corals in your tank - and what are you running for filtration and nitrate/phosphate removal?
I have a pair of clowns a pair of bangaiis and a dottyback. Quite a few polyps, some sticks, a plate, a goni, and a few shrooms. 1 royal urchin. I just took out the carbon and chemi pure that I was running hoping that this might help. So now the only thing that I have is just some filter pads. Oh and I do have a mangrove that is doing surprisingly well

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you determining what level of nitrate that is needed?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean i have a Hanna tester and it was at .13 plus my corals are closing up/ browning out
OK, the coral are your “canaries in the coal mine”. Could you add sodium or potassium nitrate to boost nitrate concentration?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean i have a Hanna tester and it was at .13 plus my corals are closing up/ browning out
Just to clarify, what level are you measuring your nitrates at? What is your current feeding routine?

OP
OP
Those2clowns

Those2clowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the coral are your “canaries in the coal mine”. Could you add sodium or potassium nitrate to boost nitrate concentration?
Currently I’m just trying to feed more before I start adding chemicals. I don’t like to add stuff if there is a natural way to do it. But I do have potassium nitrate if needed. I feed 2 times a day. What is the best food for it?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I’m just trying to feed more before I start adding chemicals. I don’t like to add stuff if there is a natural way to do it. But I do have potassium nitrate if needed. I feed 2 times a day. What is the best food for it?
Let me make an argument for “better living through chemistry”. You want to increase the concentration of nitrate in your system. This could happen immediately in a controlled manner by adding sodium or potassium nitrate. If the nitrate concentration is important in your system, you are starting immediately to test this idea. If you choose to raise your nitrate indirectly by dosing more food into your system, the time to reach the nitrate level you want is unknown and it will take awhile. If my coral were underperforming, I would want to rescue them ASAP.

Also getting the nitrate level up now is that the coral might be underperforming for other reasons. Best to find out sooner than later.

As for what food to use to raise the nitrate level, select the type with the highest percent protein.

OP
OP
Those2clowns

Those2clowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me make an argument for “better living through chemistry”. You want to increase the concentration of nitrate in your system. This could happen immediately in a controlled manner by adding sodium or potassium nitrate. If the nitrate concentration is important in your system, you are starting immediately to test this idea. If you choose to raise your nitrate indirectly by dosing more food into your system, the time to reach the nitrate level you want is unknown and it will take awhile. If my coral were underperforming, I would want to rescue them ASAP.

Also getting the nitrate level up now is that the coral might be underperforming for other reasons. Best to find out sooner than later.

As for what food to use to raise the nitrate level, select the type with the highest percent protein.
Ok I get what you’re saying. I’ll dose it and see what happens. Thank you

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same issue in my 75g since I started it over 3 years ago. Its almost the same as my last reef but nutrient levels are drastically different. Its not had to deal with though. I find I can do less water changes and feed my reef a lot more than I used to be able to.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back