Susan's RS Reefer 3xl 900 Fantasy-Dream Build

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan. Not sure how your thread came to my attention but spent the last week reading it from the beginning. Quite an adventure you've had. Glad most things are doing so well.

Couple thoughts on some of the issues you've mentioned.
1. Trident - have you gone through the Troubleshooting guide on Neptune's site? Usually a No Water Sample error can be cleared by unplugging the Trident then plugging it back in after a minute or two. I believe you said it was hard to get to the Trident, but you can unplug it from the EB832 or 1Link if you're using as it doesn't have to be unplugged from the back of the Trident. I can't easily get to mine either. I've been using mine for 3 years or so with only a similar error a couple of times.

2. Sand sifting gobies are really hard as they don't often eat the prepared food we feed our tanks. They sift the sand to get the food, i.e. critters, that live in the spaces between the sand grains, so very tiny food. They may east some algae off the sand grains as they shift sand but your sand is pretty clean so probably not much food there.

I'll keep following along.

Mickey

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan. Not sure how your thread came to my attention but spent the last week reading it from the beginning. Quite an adventure you've had. Glad most things are doing so well.

Couple thoughts on some of the issues you've mentioned.
1. Trident - have you gone through the Troubleshooting guide on Neptune's site? Usually a No Water Sample error can be cleared by unplugging the Trident then plugging it back in after a minute or two. I believe you said it was hard to get to the Trident, but you can unplug it from the EB832 or 1Link if you're using as it doesn't have to be unplugged from the back of the Trident. I can't easily get to mine either. I've been using mine for 3 years or so with only a similar error a couple of times.

2. Sand sifting gobies are really hard as they don't often eat the prepared food we feed our tanks. They sift the sand to get the food, i.e. critters, that live in the spaces between the sand grains, so very tiny food. They may east some algae off the sand grains as they shift sand but your sand is pretty clean so probably not much food there.

I'll keep following along.

Mickey
what an honor, Mickey. Happy to have your thoughts. Do you have a build thread? What is your tank set up.

I have unplugged the trident several times. I plan to pull it out and rehook it up outside the tank so I can deal with it easier. I can unplug it but it is hard to replug it in as I can't pull it out far enough to see the back. So I'll just pull the cable out. Where it is plugged into the eb832 is impossible! I have to use a mirror lol's as it is too close to the wall and my hubby screwed the unit to the control board! Tank is so long, I have 2 ' or less from tank to wall! This unit is a refurbished unit as my original had issues and had to go in so I did the warranty plan where they ship me a replacement but not a new one. I got my unit from my bil and it was a year old already. I'm going to try this week to pull it out and see what I can do. I really miss having those daily numbers. Esp. the alk.

Yes, agree on sand sifters. I know there are pods but also 3 fish that eat them. This tiger watchman will also eat from the surface when I feed so I do some flakes and freeze dried mysis. So hopefully it is getting more t han enough. The fact that it has been months is a good sign. Usually they only last a week or so. Also, will make sure if I get any others, they are eating. That has been an issue too I believe.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the latest. The apex is working. But the ato is not.... So need to try to figure that out this week in case I need to replace it. Going to be gone a few days this month and a lot of days in aug!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the latest. The apex is working. But the ato is not.... So need to try to figure that out this week in case I need to replace it. Going to be gone a few days this month and a lot of days in aug!!
Is it the Neptune ATK kit?

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a build thread as my tank has been set since end of 2004. It's gone through many ups and downs since then. It's a custom sized 225 that's 72" x 30" by 24" deep. I sympathize with you on the space issues. When I set this up I didn't plan very well. It's only 1.5 inches off the back wall so can't reach behind the tank at all and it's only 7.5 or 8 inches off one side wall so can't get to tank from that side either. I'm currently considering moving the sump and all equipment to the basement as my back and knees hate crawling under the tank. I considered that in the beginning but hubby was concerned about humidity in the basement and the cost of heating all that water since basement rarely gets above 60 degrees. I did put the return pump and chiller in the basement to keep the tank quieter.

Here's a couple of pictures. The large Sarcophyton was traded in to the LFS for credit and I lost the plating monti (I think it was the Vibrant that got it), so working on that side again now.
2020-MickeysReef-1.jpg
2021-MickeysReef-2.jpg
2021-MickeysReef-3.jpg

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MickeyCT That's an absurdly large sarco, glorious. Rarely see them like that in our home aquariums.
Thanks, and yeah. I hated to get rid of it as I've had it for many, many years but it was just so big it was shading everything. Now I have lots of baby sarcos that are growing like crazy from when I had to pull it off the rockwork. I just love the movement in the tank from these as well as the anemones and euphyllia.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt! Programming issue or something with the actual unit itself?
started working yesterday out of the blue when I turned it on in fusion. Now I have to be sure it will shut off as it seemed to take a lot longer yesterday. Off work for 2 days so will turn it on and watch it.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and yeah. I hated to get rid of it as I've had it for many, many years but it was just so big it was shading everything. Now I have lots of baby sarcos that are growing like crazy from when I had to pull it off the rockwork. I just love the movement in the tank from these as well as the anemones and euphyllia.
I had a 13" across toadstool in my other tank before I upgraded. Unfortunately, it put out toxins and I could not get lps or sps's to survive. Only zoas and mushrooms. Took it out and presto magic. I was able to grow the other corals.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to go to my dau's for 4 days. Got the algae off the front glass so my hubby can see into the tank lol's. Need to do the 2 sides yet. Not tonight... Killed a bunch of aiptasia: on one rs45 gyre, in the overflow box and smp. Peppermint shrimp have taken care of the ones in the 2nd sump.

rehooked up the trident after moving it. Note to self: anything I need to get too needs to be OUTSIDE the cabinet, not inside.... Plan to eventually move the co2 canister (for ph) outside as well. So brain dead right now can't think if that is what it is called haha.

trident is initializing. Hope it works. I need that auto testing back!! If it doesn't, then it is a support ticket to neptune and get a replacement

Hope human blood isn't bad for the fishes. Stabbed my finger on my mag cleaner when it started to roll off the top of tank. Got myself but good. A nice 3/4" gash! hurts like heck. once done with tank Ill use antiseptic and bandage.

Trident priming C. Fingers crossed...

my elegance isn't looking as good.. smaller. shifted it slightly and will test tank tomorrow. Ca had dropped and alk too high. Also will up some of the flow. One thing when I get back and before my big trip in aug. is to soak the rs45's. I have poccilipilla?? (Ugh, brain dead here, remember) coral growing on one!

Priming sample (please read it. This is what failed last time)

Noticed my little tuxedo urchin left the big middle structure for the one on the left. First time it has moved. Today on the glass where there is a ton of algae.

Now initializing (prayers to the tank gods)

Yah!! working. Calibrating. Supposed to wait 48 hrs but I don't have that time. Had to move the sample line into the display for now. I can't get back of tank to feed it into the sump at the moment . Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, got a promotion at work. I'm now a MOD--manager on duty. Not a biggie. Retail. Michaels craft store but I not just a cashier anymore lol's. I start after my aug vacation I think. Number of Hours should be the same, just more closing and weekend shifts which I'm doing anyway. This ought to make keeping up with the tank fun once the holidays get here...

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh not my night! I put the calibration fluid on top of the tank--within 6 inches like it says. On a stable part of my lid and near the edge. somehow it fell off, hit the floor luckily. So redoing it, putting itnext to the trident--heck iwth the 6" tonight and I knock it over and spill some.... sheesh ....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* My fish seem to thrive on human blood. And my semi reef-safe deodorant. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
* If you ditch the calibration fluid and calibrate the Trident manually with your Salifert (etc.) test results it makes life oh so much easier.
* Found out the Icecap battery backup can power a pair of ReefWaves for ~17 hours in the event of a power outage, so I thought I'd pass that along as one of the "unofficial" devices it supports.
* Kudos on the promotion!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* My fish seem to thrive on human blood. And my semi reef-safe deodorant. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
* If you ditch the calibration fluid and calibrate the Trident manually with your Salifert (etc.) test results it makes life oh so much easier.
* Found out the Icecap battery backup can power a pair of ReefWaves for ~17 hours in the event of a power outage, so I thought I'd pass that along as one of the "unofficial" devices it supports.
* Kudos on the promotion!
Lol's. And hand lotion! Though I don't use that if I think my hands will be in the water.

Yes, I wanted to wait until I tested the tank this am to recalibrate to my water parameters. Did it last night with their fluid to see if everything worked. Got a bad cal range error. Changed the trident bottles to new as I had just used what was in the trident which is prob 6 mo old as that is how long my trident has been down. Doing a manual test now.

numbers looking good. PO4 a bit high and so is mg. I cut all dosing there.
no3 8.6
po4 .15
alk 11.1 a bit high as well
ca 400
mg over 1600

Manual tested after setting calibration to above and it tested correctly!

How did you hook up your icecap? I have 2, one on ea side of tank and each one will run 2 I think? Maybe I can hook up 1 of ea to each icecap.

and ugh. the waste water isn't going thru tube . solution all over the surface. Will have to leave it set to manual. put dog potty pads and a towel under trident and a rag inside. Leaving the bottles outside....

And of course, within hours of leaving, the overflow level has dropped too low so now I have to get that settled!

tell me again why I spend all this time and money on this hobby....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol's. And hand lotion! Though I don't use that if I think my hands will be in the water.
How did you hook up your icecap? I have 2, one on ea side of tank and each one will run 2 I think? Maybe I can hook up 1 of ea to each icecap.

and ugh. the waste water isn't going thru tube . solution all over the surface. Will have to leave it set to manual. put dog potty pads and a towel under trident and a rag inside. Leaving the bottles outside....

And of course, within hours of leaving, the overflow level has dropped too low so now I have to get that settled!

tell me again why I spend all this time and money on this hobby....
Semi-reef safe soap, a soft nylon brush and an aluminum bar seems to do the trick. I just wish the fish would stop making me "coral dive" every time they don't like where I placed something.

The IceCap Battery Backup comes with cables to run either a single or pair of pumps (you get ~35 hours with one ReefWave and roughly half with 2). I've included this link to the instructions:

The short version is that you plug a charger for the battery into the wall, one of the power bricks for the ReefWave (you don't need both) into the IceCap and then a y-cable from the IceCap to both of the power jacks on the ReefWave controllers.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I'm at the 3 year mark and my tank is a mess lol's. Aiptasia all over, saw some cyano today--fist time in over 2 years. Will test tank tomorrow. Last time no3 was 16 and po4 almost 2. Will see if I can get rid of it or else I'll use chemiclean. Won't let it get as bad as I normally have.

had lots of issues keeping alk stable--me on vacation and sitter not watching, me busy and container running out, me switching to another brand and it totally tossed my stability out the window.

Have lost a lot of corals. Some of my favorites. LPS doing well. Rest not so good. I need to get in and remove all dead frags, clean the sand bed of debris. Get something to start eating the aiptasia.

Also have tons of maintenance to do. Switched out 2 heaters for a helio setup and cleaned the skimmer cup--so hard to get it off as it is big and my hands small!!! cleaned the neck inside. Should remove and clean motor but it is so big... Gyros and mp40s need cleaning as well. And my uv light replaced and hose fixed and moved. We won't talk about the algae on the glass.... Just got a new flipper with blades on each end. Works pretty good

going into holiday season. Hope I can keep my wed and thur off (not this week lol's) so I can devote 1 day or half a day dealing with tank. Fish all good. Lost the tiger head watchman. Prob. while gone and haven't seen my little barber shop goby or pistol. yellow watchman and pistol yes. And 1 anthia who had an issue for many months.

will post pics when tank looks awesome again lol's

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank tested. Numbers good. No3 could be 10 or so
no3 13.3
po4 .09
alk 9.8 which is a bit high for me but leaving it alone
ca 400
mg has been over 1500. Not dosing not testing yet.

Will watch po4. Yesterday I added 1 bag phosguard and a boyds with gfo remover a nd 2 boyds elite blue (carbon and purigen) did the blow off rocks/cyano--not any worse than yesterday--and added the snow with bacter7 per sunnys instructions. will repeat as needed and next week try to get my other mp40 cleaned and 1 gyro

working on getting trident back working. Ugh. can't get it to initialize. unplugged. trying again.

tank temp right at 77 so new helio heaters are working

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back